• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Arden Tree Controller Help Desk

Started by vortext, June 01, 2011, 06:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girafe

I can do installer for you but only in this way:

Install A(all you want) OR B(all you want) OR C but I can't do something with choices  &mmm
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

noahclem

I would certainly hope that you choose to go through the LEX process. As I understand it installers are not a requirement at this time and I'm sure the testing that's already been done on your work will be taken into consideration. Open up a candidacy thread and see how it goes--if you don't like it you can always give up and upload elsewhere  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Even I am on the LEX. Okay, it's not exactly a tree controller, but still. Go with zips if that's what you want.

Cheers
Willy

Simcoug

I think it should be a simple zip file - folks need to have control over where (and what type) the tree controller is installed.  Plus, they need to be aware that the old controller needs to be removed.  Tree controllers are a little more complex, mod wise, so an automatic installer might complicate things further since everybody's plugin folder is different.

BTW, looking forward to the release  :thumbsup:

Gobias

If you decide you do want to go down the installer road I'd be happy to offer assistance if you'd like.  I wrote installers for both of my terrain mods since they're pretty complicated multi-option installs.  I didn't want people to work out of a zip and wind up choosing the wrong files and bombard with questions about CTDs.

When I released the simpler water/beach/sidewalk mods I didn't mess with installers since those are pretty straightforward installs.  So I just zipped those.

Anyway, to do something with multiple options you just need to write an NSIS script and compile it.  It's intimidating at first but I found it very helpful to learn by looking at an installer that Lowkee linked to on one of his threads.  Using that as a template it all made sense.  Anyway, just let me know if you're looking for any installer help.  There are still a few tricks I haven't learned that I've seen in the NAM installers but most things I've managed to learn how to do.

vortext

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! Somehow I was under the impression installers were a necessity for the LEX so it's good to hear that's not the case. I've started a candidacy thread here"$Deal"$

For those curious, the readme is available here. Spelling and/or grammatical errors are bound to exist, so if anyone likes to proof read, please do so. I also had some doubts on the arrangement (dependencies first?) and in addition the frontpage needs some more attention but I got carried away with photoshop. ;D Of course suggestions to make things as understandable as possible are welcome, too.

Also, in a last minute change of plans as I decided to drop the shore controllers because of a number of reasons. For one it was hard for me to explain proper usage for folks less experienced with switching plugins contents constantly. I felt it complicated things for relative little benefit. Secondly Whatevermind remarked they could use a little more variety, which is true so you can thank him for the decision to scrap them.  $%Grinno$%

Actually it made me think why I wanted to include them in the first place. The reason for which was because this entire project started with the shorelines and the manual labor involved if one wants to have it filled with cattails, reeds, dirt and the like. Somehow this was a prerequiste at the time, before I could really start to feel at home in the region - the one currently still being played on, which makes it the longest in development to date. Anyhow, in general it's safe to say it was my desire to get seasonal mmping over with faster that drove this project forward - in addition to the enthusiastic support throughout from you fine folks - and so here we are, almost a year later! :D

But that's beside the point, which is over the last year I've developed quite a number of shore controllers, more than the two in the beta. However they're not quite suitable for release, if only because I've used the same IDs for different versions. So picking them apart would take some time. In addition I've also made new brushes with smaller items, to use as filler material inbetween lots, since trees aren't appropriate all the time. And with those two things in mind I'm contemplating some sort of scheme, wherein one can switch between all kinds of different brushes with relative ease. That is, most cities differ little in height and thus a fullblown tree controller will give more or less the same result throughout. It would be fun if one could switch flora brushes between play sessions, without losing the already existing flora of course. That said, I know from experience switching brushes can give a bit of a headache. Ideally one would like to have new flora brushes added to the godmode menu, just like Alex's new fauna brushes. . . ::)

So, there you have it, shore controllers won't be included for now but maybe released seperatly later. On the brightside I'm pleased to say evergreen versions are included, just as a little patch for those silly shadows during winter. In addition I'm turning a few 'golden oldies' mmps into seasonal flora to be released alongside. Of course the PEG weeds, which are a perfect candidate, alongside PEG flowers and grasses (still working on possible combinations, quite a few of them. . ). And of course ALN grass will be made seasonal, as well as some of the wild flowers in there.

That's it for now, keep an eye out for the official release!  :)

And a bonus pic because I really like the messy flora, which is the result of using all three controllers and Alex's deer makes it about perfect to me. As always click the pic to view in full size!
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simcoug

Awesome, can't wait (new seasonal MMPs too!)  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Don't you think all this time developing the controller you could have plopped cattails in all of Los Angeles? Just saying  $%Grinno$%

I admire your work but this fact in addition to the inflexibility of controllers has made me go for MMPs all the way. However, I'm curious to see your results with it. Not to mention new MMPs and other fixes :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy

sunv123

Yes, I am looking forward to it. $%Grinno$%
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

gn_leugim

did I read evergreen version?  ;D ;D ;D ;D awesome picture :D

epicblunder

Quote from: packersfan on February 28, 2013, 08:16:00 PM
Amazing.  Can't believe what people have done in this game....makes my city journal look amateurish.

But your street map makes all of us look lazy   :thumbsup:

jmyers2043

I'm supposed to do some scrutiny but I spent two hours having fun instead. Coastal Extended is the one that planted my plateau and it also plants a nice dense forest.   &apls 

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Rayden

I also played a little while with it ;)

TheAttendee

Just looked through the thread and readme. Really anticipating using the extended coast controller in my region - it's absolutely stunning! Can't wait!

vortext

@ Simcoug, thanks!

@ Willly, yeah, probably. .  :D  Then again, a quick comparison tells me the Los Angles shoreline is nowhere near the length I was and in fact, still am facing. Since I've only rendered part of the region thusfar I actually have quite some treeiing ahead of me (oh joy ::)). Anyhow, there's no doubt mmping allows for more flexibility and variety, as it's equally sure it takes up more time, especially at large, i.e. regional scale.

@ sunv123, it seems like you now have acces to it as well.  ;)

@ gn_leugim, you've read correctly sir!  :D Thanks!

@ packersfan, thanks! Though I'll echo epicblunder as your map is nothing short of amazing! As is your entire region as matter of fact.  :thumbsup:

@ Jim, sorry for the distraction! Looking forward to the final verdict.  :-[ :D

@ Rayden, I'd love to see it in summer as well!  ;D Though looking at it makes me want to change the Preference Table just a little bit.  &Thk/(

@ TheAttendee, glad you like it, thanks!  :)
time flies like a bird

Diggis

I've been playing with this over the weekend and have a follow up question. My tree line seems to be very low for the hills. I've got some high, but not mountainous areas and I can't get trees up there with the controller. What's the tree line set to, and is there a wait to increase it?

vortext

Quote from: Diggis on March 04, 2013, 03:00:26 AM
My tree line seems to be very low for the hills. I've got some high, but not mountainous areas and I can't get trees up there with the controller. What's the tree line set to, and is there a wait to increase it?

Tree line height is different for each terrain mod and set with the Flora: elevation scale range which you can change with the Reader. It's located either in the Seasonal Flora Patch if you use any of CPs terrain mods (and Heblem's) or in the main controller files for Lowkee's and Gobias' terrain mods.

Maybe I should make a section on that in the read-me as well since the tree line actually is off for most of CPs terrain mods.
time flies like a bird

Diggis

Will changing it mess up any of the areas I've already... treed?  Treeed... treeeeeed... ()what()

vortext

Quote from: Diggis on March 04, 2013, 03:40:06 AM
Will changing it mess up any of the areas I've already... treed?  Treeed... treeeeeed... ()what()

Planted is the word you're looking for maybe?!  %confuso  :D

Anyhow, it will not mess things up (i.e. no ctds). It might look a little strange though for instance when after changing it you get deciduous trees above already existing subalpine firs.
time flies like a bird