• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM request: Monorail and elevated rail smooth curves

Started by pspfat, November 09, 2011, 01:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspfat

my youtube channel: youtube.com/sc4lover

Haljackey

I'd support this as well.

For the time being, there are some ways to get smooth curves for these networks. The HSR mod has a 'smooth-ish' curve, so if you're comfortable switching to it you'll see a change in the standard curves,

For elevated rail, its a bit more complicated. Like the Maxis Highways, elevated isn't yet possible so you'll have to lower it to the ground. Using a converter, switch it to the rail network and use the rail smooth curve pieces. Then just reconvert it back to el-rail and there you have it! It's a decent workaround for now.

Tarkus

Just like any other elevated network (or Ground MHWs), the fact that models are involved is a limiting factor.

-Alex

apeguy

It's a good idea, especially for monorail because of the higher speeds involved.

Maybe something to add for NAM v31? ;) ;)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

TEG24601

Actually with monorails, I just want my circle junctions back.  Then again, some smooth junctions or Monorail over Road would be nice.

TEG

OwlGreene

Quote from: Haljackey on November 09, 2011, 05:21:44 PM
For the time being, there are some ways to get smooth curves for these networks. The HSR mod has a 'smooth-ish' curve, so if you're comfortable switching to it you'll see a change in the standard curves,

For elevated rail, its a bit more complicated. Like the Maxis Highways, elevated isn't yet possible so you'll have to lower it to the ground. Using a converter, switch it to the rail network and use the rail smooth curve pieces. Then just reconvert it back to el-rail and there you have it! It's a decent workaround for now.

I don't know.  On my computer, when I switch to the rail network, and switch back, I can drive the trams in UDI, but the game won't pass the trains along that segment.

DAB_City

Quote from: apeguy on November 16, 2011, 09:52:52 AM
It's a good idea, especially for monorail because of the SUPER high speeds involved.

Maybe something to add for NAM v31? ;) ;)

Most certainly. Monorail, imho, is still useful in its Maxis form for distances shorter than HSR, e.g. shuttle services around airports, busy dense ultra-urban cities and the like.

I don't wish to turn this into another NAM feature request thread, but here are just some of the things I'd be glad to have. The highest up items being most wanted by me!  :P

Monorail over Road
Smooth Monorail Curves, Puzzle Pieces etc.
RABETS (or whatever they're called)
Elevated/Monorail over Street, Avenue, PedMall and more!  ;D

Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Haljackey

Quote from: DAB_City on November 24, 2011, 12:21:47 PM
Monorail over Road
Smooth Monorail Curves, Puzzle Pieces etc.

I would agree with the first two. If the existing El-rail over road props can be reused for monorail, my assumption is that it wouldn't be terribly difficult.

Smooth curves are always nice, but they're more of an aesthetic thing. One of the NAM's slogans is 'functionality first!', and the standard curves do just that.
-As a pipe dream, I'd love to see smooth curves for the BTM, and further adaptability with newer NAM components.

The reason why I like BTM is that overrides used in mods like the HSR are not necessary. The monorail network is completely converted. As long as you're willing to lose your monorail, it's a good alternative.