• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What Does Your Name Mean?

Started by thundercrack83, June 04, 2007, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daryl7478

Sorry for reviving, but I just found this thread. In other forums, I will get a warning for this. But the people here are good enough to let that. Why can't revive threads in other forums (non-SC4D).
  Anyways my user name has my name and one of my interests, airplanes.
daryl-my name
7478-Boeing 747-8
  I find it as a quite unique user name. Just like my Youtube account, daryl380.
daryl-same as above
380-Airbus A380

BenGunn

Ben Gunn was a pirate (from the R.L. Stevenson story Treasure Island). If I remember correctly he was marooned there by his crew.He was
somewhat crazy(from being alone???),but he knew where the treasure was hidden. It is thought that came from the old Scottish clan Gunn.

greenbelt

coincidentally was just asking about some user names on Simpeg. 

The first site I ever joined was Simtropolis - tried many different usernames, but all were taken.  I wanted something related to urban planning.  Greenbelts are the green spaces, usually just outside the CBD.  Often acting as major transportation corridors with landscaped medians.

When I finally got around to adding an avatar, I wanted something green.  I found a site with many paintings of the 'Earth-Mother' or Gaya.  One of the images had a green face and body.  Lost that avatar somewhere and couldn't find it again.  Now I use this other image of Gaya.  At least she has green hair.

peter007

my name is really odd I know but I've been using this name a very long time as a pseudonym, I also always use Shinkansen & Pirat007
Just the 007 because it's simple to remember. And the Peter was just entering my mind at that single day when I was registering for a browser game and the name stayed to me but my RL name is Ernst so it isn't like it

pepsibottle1

This topic has my name written all over it.

In a land far far away (4 years ago to be exact, on Christmas Eve), I was trying to come up with a profile name for my Myspace. Couldn't think of anything at the time, and I do believe I was drinking a pepsi at the time. There, the idea hatched: Pepsibottle1

Here's why I came up with that:

1.) It is original.
2.) Very catchy indeed
3.) Noone that I know of would ever think of using that as their username.

Also a few notes about that. I actually hate Pepsi with a passion. I only drink Coke and Coke products only. If I'm at a restauraunt and they do happen to serve Pepsi, I'll go with Dr. Pepper or Sweet Tea. The ONLY time I will ever drink a Pepsi is if I do happen to be really thirsty and there is no alternative. That day, I just so happened to be drinking a bottle of Pepsi. Plus, "Cokebottle" dosen't have the same epic factor to it, and I don't want to change my username (god knows how many forums I've regestered this name on. Google it and you can find all of my accounts. Kinda scary, huh?)

So that's how my name came to be about.
I love Simcity 4!

Battlecat

Funny I never noticed this topic.  Despite what people may think, the name nickname Battlecat has absolutely nothing to do with a certain Saturday morning cartoon that I've never actually seen. 

I first used the name for what became my main character in City of Heroes which I started playing right when it launched.  As soon as I heard what powers were available in the game, the concept for the look and powers just popped into my head.  For those who know the game, he was a Claws/Super Reflexes scrapper who wound up being extraordinarily effective despite his defenses being "gimped".  I still prefer playing him over just about every other alt in the game. 

Anyhow, it wound up becoming the name I was known by in the game for more than 5 years.  From there I just started using it wherever I could get the username since it pretty much became my default online identify. 

inca1987

I've always been fascinated by the pre-columbian civilizations. (Mediterranian archeology too actually, specially Egypt)
So inca was een obvious choice.
The 1987 is just a quick 1 and a finger drumroll of 9 8 and 7 (like drumming yer fingers on the table) - short n sassy, quick n simple.
In the beginning there was nothing - and then it exploded.
Terry Pratchett

jacksunny

Well my user name is my real name. My first name is Jack and my middle name is Sunny (No really my middle name really is sunny. I swear!!!) They make up jacksunny! ;D

GDO29Anagram

Oh, how I could go on and on and on about my username... And yet I just found this thread; I didn't know such a thread existed...

First, I wanna inform you that this is the same username I have used for many other sites (deviantART and YouTube) and have, from time to time, explained the strange significance of my name. Since I used this name for deviantART first, I'll quote the first part of the explanation from deviantART. The first quote is the most self-explanatory, and the second quote explains more of the history.

Something odd about me is my username:

- The G-DO part is derived from my RL initials.
- The 29 is symbolic of where I live. (I like to get people to wonder what it means...)
- The "Anagram" part is really symbolic; In particular, the name "Ganaram" is derived from the letters in the word "Anagram". I used to cap my name off with "ghhh" so at one point it was GDO29ghhh. Sounds terrible.
- I use this name everywhere. Even outside of the HTF field... If you find me again in some other thing, don't be surprised... Other variants are "Ganaram DI" and the hyphen-less "GDO29Anagram."
Quoted from: http://comments.deviantart.com/5/36454138/1754816933

QuoteWhat does your Deviantart name mean and why?
      G-DO-29--Anagram (Oh how I could go on explaining the significance...): Originally it should've been either GDO29ghhh or X-Boh Rok-X Ganaram, cuz prior to HTF, my mind was set to Bionicle. GDO29ghhh was what I called my Bionicle self (No illustration of that ever existed mind you...) and when my mind began to shift to HTF, one other interest I had was Runescape, so I compiled my Runescape avatar, whose name was Xbohrokx, into an HTF (Blue porcupine, taller than most HTF's), and I butchered the name and added an anagram of the word "Anagram," thus creating the name "X-Boh Rok-X Ganaram." Note: My interest in Bionicle began to fall as my interest in HTF began to go up, so the word "Bohrok" still remains.

When I joined deviantART, I decided to dump "Bohrok" and went with a hyphenated form of GDO29ghhh, but I also added the word "Anagram" since the anagram of that was the name of what was supposed to be my representative character; I originally wanted my HTF'd Runescape avatar to be my representative character!!! But I decided to draw MYSELF as an HTF, but I assigned the name G-DO, as in my initials. A few weeks later, I changed it to Ganaram, and a few months later, I assigned his last name of Inukshuk.

So the name is now G-DO-29--Anagram (Pronounced Gee-Doe-Two-Nine-Ann-Uh-Gram): The G-DO, being my initials, the 29, being the city I live in, and Anagram, which is what my representative character's name is.
Quoted from http://g-do-29--anagram.deviantart.com/art/Mind-Dump-05192010-164629000

For the sake of continuity and consistency, I have retained this name for the past 1.9 years. Let me go on though:

For me, this name is now synonymous with the two dominant interests to me: Happy Tree Friends (Minus all the gore) and Simcity 4 (Plus the gore, and I mean the road markings).

"But dude, your avatar says 'Ganaram' on it; What does it mean?!!"

The name "Ganaram" as I mentioned is a recombination of the letters in the word "Anagram." It's also the name of the "white teddy" in my somewhat universal Avatar (The "White teddy" is me drawn as a Happy Tree Friends character). I also use this rearrangement of a name as a sort of pen name. There are variations to the name, also. Here's a few:

- Ganaram (Many people from dA and SC4D call me this)
- Ganaram DI (This was set as my Simtropolis username; At the time, I didn't want to use the same name I used for deviantART. Also reconstituted as my Runescape name.)
- Ganaram D. Inukshuk (This is Ganaram's full name, and my full pen name.)

The last name of "Inukshuk" is an Inuit word which means "Someone was here." The word also refers to stone landmarks that the Inuit and other Arctic peoples would leave. It was also the name of the Polar Bear from Animal Planet's "Growing Up..." series. http://jezebel.com/5013891/orphaned-baby-polar-bear-talks-to-his-zookeeper Since Polar Bears are my favourite animal, I figured I'd stick "Inukshuk" onto Ganaram's name. The "D" part was included because "D" is also my real-life middle initial. In case you're wondering, "D" means "Darian" and it has no true significance other than having an exotic name that started with "D." And no, "Darian" isn't my RL middle name either.

As I also stated, my real-life initials are GDO, but the initials of my pen name are GDI; It matches my RL initials by 67% and I like it better than GDO (It looks like you misspelled GOD, which rhymes with NOD). Though "GDI" might mean something different to some people... "Kane Tiberium"...? An easter egg in SC4 itself just seems to coincide with my own pen-initials, and after some quick research,... Let's just say if I created a city journal of an Anagrammic nation, it'd be in danger of being destroyed by an enemy brotherhood...

Polar bears, Inuit landmarks, enemy brotherhoods, and a symbolic prime number,... A lot goes into my name and also coincides with other things as well... Chances are, this has got to be the most complicated username ever.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

mave94

There's not a real story about my name, it are just my initials:

Mr - mister
MAvE - Matthijs van Egmond. The "A" is from my Christian name
94 - This is the year when I was born

Sometimes my name is: mave94 or MAvE94, but for this forum I wanted to do something different, but it's odd and difficult to remember &mmm

- Matthijs

Aliktren

Aliktren Stoutbow was an Elf I took to max level playing Baldurs Gate, the name was generated by my bonce on the spot, and stuck with me as it's fairly unique, so useful for using on the web  ;D

netmod

Net = Internet
Mod = Moderator

Simple  ;)
mooooooooooooooooo...

Ciuu96

Well yeah, my name has to have the stupidest meaning ever.

I invented "Ciuu96" probably 3-5 years ago when I needed an username to either one of the Savage games (can't remember which). So, Ciuu comes from Chaos is under us (::)) and 96 obviously from my birthyear. The meaning of my username doesn't sound too good, but at least the actual name isn't that bad.
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

RippleJet

And I always thought that was your way of writing "see you" :D

Ciuu96

I've never thought of that, maybe I should start telling people that instead of the real thing, could make me look smarter. ;D
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

Exla357

The "Exla" is an anagram for my name, Alex. The "357" is progressing prime numbers excluding 1, because 1 is a number that doesn't really obey the rules.
I'm sure that's not very creative  :D

-Alex (Exla357)

greckman

I go by two names in the SC4 Community. Greckman and Towncrafter.

I was new to the internet and didn't have an internet username, and was having trouble coming up with one. After about a month of starting to register on various SC4 sites (including this one) and then canceling, I finally just used the first name I could find. I use Greckman on my computer and it's a corruption of my first name Greg plus man. I don't like that as an internet username, but I guess I'm stuck with it.

Towncrafter... There's a JC Penney brand of clothing called Towncraft and I added the -er. I chose the name because my building style is small towns. I also go by the initials of TC which is short for Towncrafter.

-TC ;D
CLICK to see my MD on SC4D: Towncrafter's World - The Cities and Towns of greckman

ps2owner

Simple. I own a PlayStation 2(ps2). (Although it's probably a dead shell by now...)

My favorite numbers, repeated 3 times because I am the third child.
Do re mi
I'm incomplete