• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Night lights

Started by evarburg, August 01, 2019, 01:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

Delyrium recently uploaded some excellent bats on the STEX  especially the Metropol Parasol, whose Daliesque waffle aspect is just too much. Alas no nite lites. I decided to open it in the L.E. to see if I could do something with it nevertheless. I made the LM into a rather formal city park and I'm rather pleased with the final result. I asked Delyrium permission to upload that relot. (see below)

But I am really wondering, about the no note-lites.  Perhaps Delyrium (like Wolfze) does not care for night lights in his (I assume his here) own playing and thus doesn't include them in uploaded lots, which then are only usable by players who don't play nights either. (Of course they can be used and just not screen-captured for night pictures.  But it's a pity that such beautiful bats are just black spots in a night picture...) Then again, is it so much a bother to include lights when batting ? Having limited technical abilities, I have no idea of the process, what it involves, at which stage of the batting it happens and how difficult it may be. There is the Light property in the Reader (true/false) but that, I gather, is modding, not batting !

Would someone, er, enlighten me ?

Andreas

Nightlights need to be added and rendered in the BAT. Maybe the BATter didn't care about then, or didn't know how to add them. Some people simply download a 3D model, import it into the BAT and render it, they might not have advanced skills for adding special details, hence the BATs might miss one or another feature.
Andreas

evarburg

OK, sure, but is incorporating the nite lights in a BAT such a bother ? Is it that difficult ? Are batters who don't do it just ignorant ad too proud to ask for advice, or just lazy ?  I know, easy to say for me who is not a batter, but still, for the love of the game, shouldn't lots be created correctly ?  :'(

I'd really like to know a bit more about how it is done, so that I am better informed and equipped to understand. OK, I see now there are tutorials I was hoping for a not-eyes-glazing summary by someone who's done it ! ;) . I won't bother youse any longer  :)

Andreas

Quote from: evarburg on August 01, 2019, 06:42:11 PM
I know, easy to say for me who is not a batter, but still, for the love of the game, shouldn't lots be created correctly ?  :'(
Hehe, I know the feeling, even if I rarely ever look at my cities in nght mode, I feel that the BATters who didn't add night lights left out something important. Since I'm not a BATter myself, I can't tell how difficult it is, and in the one case where I tried to BAT something very simple, I omitted the nightlights as well, since I didn't read THAT tutorial (the one I read didn't include that step...). ;)
Andreas

Jasoncw

Quote from: evarburg on August 01, 2019, 06:42:11 PM
OK, sure, but is incorporating the nite lights in a BAT such a bother ? Is it that difficult ? Are batters who don't do it just ignorant ad too proud to ask for advice, or just lazy ?  I know, easy to say for me who is not a batter, but still, for the love of the game, shouldn't lots be created correctly ?  :'(

I'd really like to know a bit more about how it is done, so that I am better informed and equipped to understand. OK, I see now there are tutorials I was hoping for a not-eyes-glazing summary by someone who's done it ! ;) . I won't bother youse any longer  :)

Definitely laziness. Doing basic nitelites takes about 5 minutes of work, whether it's lighting up some windows or putting a few spotlights around. Of course having nitelites means you need to export the night version which takes time, but that's something that happens passively on your computer.

DebussyMan

If you have some photoshop skills, theoretically you could add them to any building you like. But there is a lot of time and tedious effort involved. Maybe you could ask the BATer to send you the model+texutres and night light it yourself.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0