• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Translation for RHW on the Regional Transport Data View mod

Started by jondor, August 21, 2010, 07:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jondor

Hi all!  I need a little help from the community on this one.  As you may have seen here, I cracked the problem of the RHW not showing up on the region transportation map.

Since I'm sure a lot of people will want to use this from many different languages, I want to make sure it is properly translated before being released.  The mod utilizes most of the default transport legend and the default translations will be perfectly intact.  But there are two changes, one more critical and easier to obtain (thankfully), one less critical but slightly more difficult.

#1 - I have changed Monorail to a separate color from El-Rail/GLR.  This is an addition to the legend and needs to have translations added.  These do exist, but my copy of SC4 is a US English one and that is the only locale I have available.  In the SimCityLocale.dat file for each language, the Monorail network hover query is located at IID: 0be09ca2

If people familiar with the reader would be kind enough to collect them, I can add them to the mod and get it closer to being released.  This is the more critical of the two.

#2 - I changed Elevated Rail to Light Rail in US English and Tram in UK English.  Other languages will retain their original translation of Elevated Rail.  If anyone wants to submit a translation for their language that more accurately describes the El-Rail/GLR/Tram-in-road system that now exists in the NAM, I will be happy to include it.  This would be nice to have, but I won't delay the release waiting for translations in all languages to show up.

Thanks for the help!
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Ciuu96

Well, in finnish i think that "pikaraitiotie" would be a good translation for the GLR thing, as it translates to light rail in english. It might be still little bit hard to understand for someone who doesn't know much of these systems, so the translation could also be "raitiovaunu", meaning tram. "raitiotie" could also be used, but as it could be confused to the word "rautatie" which means railways, it's perhaps not the best one.

So, a sum up:

Pikaraitiotie = Light rail | The most precise of these all, but not used very much in spoken language.
Raitiovaunu = Tram-in-road | Not very precise, as it doesn't have anything to do with el-rail, but used commonly in spoken language.
Raitiotie = Light rail/El-rail/Tram-in-road | Precise, but could be confused to heavy rail.

It's your decision!  :thumbsup: Ask if i didn't explain something well enough.
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

MandelSoft

Dutch translation:
- Highway - Snelweg
- Road - Weg
- Rail - Spoorlijn
- Lightrail - Tram-/Metrolijn
- Monorail/HSR - Monorail/HSL
- Airport - Vliegveld
- Seaport - Haven
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Girafe

French translation:
- Highway - Autoroute
- Road - Route
- Rail - Rail
- Lightrail - Tramway
- Monorail/HSR - Monorail
- Airport - Aéroport
- Seaport - Port
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Neofita

Polish translation:

- Highway - Autostrada
- Road - Droga
- Rail - Koleje
- Lightrail - Kolejka nadziemna or Tramwaj
- Monorail/HSR - Kolejka jednotorowa/Kolej expresowa
- Airport - Lotnisko
- Seaport - Port

Sciurus

Quote from: Girafe on August 22, 2010, 04:11:44 AM
French translation:
- Highway - Autoroute
- Road - Route
- Rail - Rail
- Lightrail - Tramway
- Monorail/HSR - Monorail
- Airport - Aéroport
- Seaport - Port

I would say "train" for rail instead of "rail". ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

RippleJet

Quote from: jondor on August 21, 2010, 07:39:27 PM
#1 - I have changed Monorail to a separate color from El-Rail/GLR.  This is an addition to the legend and needs to have translations added.  These do exist, but my copy of SC4 is a US English one and that is the only locale I have available.  In the SimCityLocale.dat file for each language, the Monorail network hover query is located at IID: 0be09ca2

In that case I'd recommend that you use the same link to that LTEXT in your query.
That would mean that whatever is given in the local SimCityLocale.dat file would be used.
No need to add more LTEXT files to a mod, if these already exist in SimCityLocale.dat. ;)

In Finnish Monorail would still be Monorail, in Swedish it would be Enspårsbana...

Quote from: Ciuu96 on August 22, 2010, 03:07:48 AM
Pikaraitiotie = Light rail | The most precise of these all, but not used very much in spoken language.
Raitiovaunu = Tram-in-road | Not very precise, as it doesn't have anything to do with el-rail, but used commonly in spoken language.
Raitiotie = Light rail/El-rail/Tram-in-road | Precise, but could be confused to heavy rail.

It's your decision!  :thumbsup: Ask if i didn't explain something well enough.

In the translations I did for RTMT earlier, I used Raitiovaunu for trams. :)
And similarly in Swedish, tram would be Spårvagn.

jondor

Quote from: RippleJet on August 22, 2010, 05:17:44 AM
In that case I'd recommend that you use the same link to that LTEXT in your query.
That would mean that whatever is given in the local SimCityLocale.dat file would be used.
No need to add more LTEXT files to a mod, if these already exist in SimCityLocale.dat. ;)

The problem with that (As Andreas pointed out in the other thread) is that if any other mod overrides that LTEXT file, (such as the HSR mod) it will change this legend as well.  All the other labels have LTEXT instances separate from the network hover queries.  The El-Rail hover query now says El-Rail/GLR/Tram/FLUPs (or something similar) but the transport legend is not affected.

If I had a European copy of the game I would just collect everything I could myself and that would just leave the Asian languages, but I only have US English. :(  Anyway, thanks for the translations so far!  I'll get them added in as soon as I can!
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

RippleJet

Quote from: jondor on August 22, 2010, 10:55:49 AM
The problem with that (As Andreas pointed out in the other thread) is that if any other mod overrides that LTEXT file, (such as the HSR mod) it will change this legend as well.  All the other labels have LTEXT instances separate from the network hover queries.  The El-Rail hover query now says El-Rail/GLR/Tram/FLUPs (or something similar) but the transport legend is not affected.

Okie-dokie, fair enough! ;)

Quote from: jondor on August 22, 2010, 10:55:49 AM
If I had a European copy of the game I would just collect everything I could myself

Well, let me do that for you then. :)
Here are all European translations for the LTEXT file with IID=0x0BE09CA2:

Offset    Language
0x00
International    Monorail
0x01
US EnglishMonorail
0x02
UK EnglishMonorail
0x03
FrenchMonorail
0x04
GermanMonorail
0x05
ItalianMonorotaia
0x06
SpanishMonorraíl
0x07
DutchMonorail
0x08
DanishMonorail
0x09
SwedishEnspårsbana
0x0A
NorwegianMonorail
0x0B
FinnishMonorail
0x10
PolishKolej jednoszynowa
0x23
PortugueseMonotrilho

As you can see, most languages would manage with the default, international wording. ;)
And I hope Neofita could explain the difference between Kolej jednoszynowa and Kolejka jednotorowa... ::)

Andreas

The proper German term would be "Einschienenbahn", but since Germans seem to love English words, "Monorail" is probably just as popular. ;) On the other hand, the German translation for "Elevated Rail" in SC4 ("Erhöhter Schnellverkehr" - "Elevated Rapid Transit") is a bit off, nobody would say that. Instead, I simply chose "Hochbahn" for my translations.
Andreas

jondor

Thanks RippleJet!

Does anyone have any of the Asian languages for me?  ;D

Neofita

:)  Explain  :)

Kolej jednoszynowa i Kolejka jednotorowa  This is the same  :)

Polish language has sometimes two names for one item   :D

But the difference is "Kolejka jednotorowa" this is something like STR
"Kolejka jednoszynowa" this is something like the picture

Girafe

Quote from: jondor on August 22, 2010, 02:44:51 PM
Thanks RippleJet!

ask Ebina, I am sure he will answer to you  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vitorhnn

Brazilian Portuguese Translation
- Highway - Autoestrada
- Road - Estrada
- Rail - Trem
- Lightrail - Trem Leve
- Monorail/HSR - Monotrilho
- Airport - Aeroporto
- Seaport - Porto

:thumbsup:
I'm a mod on SimcityBrasil =)

strucka

I'm not sure how this works, but if there is posibility for Slovene language, then here it is:

- Highway - Avtocesta / Hitra cesta
- Road - Cesta
- Rail - Železnica (if you don't get the Ž letter just put Z)
- Lightrail - Tramvaj
- Monorail/HSR - (we don't have a name for monorail, but lets invent one) Monoželeznica / Železnica visoke hitrosti
- Airport - Letališče (again use Letalisce if you can't put š or ž in)
- Seaport - Pristanišče

Bravo, I must say!  &apls &apls

RippleJet

Quote from: jondor on August 22, 2010, 02:44:51 PM

I've got some, but not all of them... :)
Enclosed are three copies of the LTEXT file with IID=0x0BE09CA2, for Korean, Thai and Traditional Chinese.

Be sure not to click the Apply button while having these open in Reader...
Just change the IID to whatever value you've used, and the GID to correct offset. ;)

jondor

Thanks very much!

I'll work on getting these ones incorporated and I'll be that much closer to finishing.

Unless I missed one by mistake, I just need Japanese and Simplified Chinese. :D

ebina

"Monorail" which is a five letters word in katakana fits the UI but "Lightrail" doesn't. The UI is slightly narrow for inserting "Lightrail" using full width katakana. The sixth letter touches the border.

I tried using half width katakana. HG-Gothic supports them but using half width katakana along with full width letters at the same time is not good here (at least to me).

Instead, I inserted "El/LRT" like I changed "Sub/El" that appears in the traffic volume view and the route query tool into "Sub/El/LRT" in my NAM locale. Attached archive contains this version and Monorail.

kbieniu7

Quote from: Neofita on August 22, 2010, 04:29:23 AM
Polish translation:

- Highway - Autostrada
- Road - Droga
- Rail - Koleje
- Lightrail - Kolejka nadziemna or Tramwaj
- Monorail/HSR - Kolejka jednotorowa/Kolej expresowa
- Airport - Lotnisko
- Seaport - Port

I think instead of "Kolej ekspresowa" (by the way, did you forgot, that in polish "x" does not exist? :P) could be "szybka kolej".
Also I would use "Tramwaj" (tram), or "lekka kolej" (light rail) instead of "kolejka nadziemna".
And small detail - it would be better to use "rail" in singular: kolej instead of plural.
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

jondor

Thanks ebina!  I could widen the UI slightly, but it's probably better that it matches the rest of the NAM.