• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

gentle curves for highways

Started by figui, February 20, 2008, 09:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

figui

that's it.
take this as a request or a suggestion.
i wonder if it's posible to make such curves, like the ones made for avenues.

thanks in advance,

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

j-dub

I don't know if this was the right spot for this, however this is a good point. I know I have seen someone with their own long hwy curve, however, I think if this was done, it needs to be alot wider, maybe a shoulder, the walls kinda bother me where they are, its so fake, and too close for the turns now, they had plenty of room at the time to not make it like this, look at the avenue widths. Someone has some horrible math computing.

Tarkus

Well, it is possible.  However, the main reason highways haven't been done yet relates to how the network is set up.  All the other networks for which the curve pieces have been made have been 2-dimensional texture-based networks (Road, Rail, Avenue, RHW), whereas the Maxis Highway networks are model-based, so it will not only require textures, but models as well--models which have to fit very specific criteria in terms of their design (which is a large part of the reason why there's a so-called "transit model graveyard"--dozens of highway piece models which were scrapped).

The RULing aspect would not be terribly difficult provided that the models were designed to fit in the same space as the Avenue curves (the CheckTypes in RUL 0x10000000 could simply be changed from Avenue to Ground or Elevated Maxis Highway in that case).  It'd need new paths as well, though that's not terribly difficult to do.  From a modding standpoint, there's little issue.  The models are a make-or-break, though.

Hope that answers your question.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Tropod

Quote from: Tarkus on February 20, 2008, 10:14:04 PM.....From a modding standpoint, there's little issue.  The models are a make-or-break, though.

Unfortunately, as Tarkus has pointed out, the modeling aspect is the main issue really. And for as long as I can remember, this has always been the case really when it comes to creating new stuff for SC4 for networks; either a lack of texture &/or modeling artists. And typically, though not always (as I'm sure there's one or two exceptions), those who do the modding side of things (NAM/network wise) aren't always too great at the texturing/modeling/batting.

figui

i got the point(s)
unfortunatelly, i can't help with this things &mmm
maybe some day someone tries to do this models and whatever is needed. ::)
until then, this game is still great, moreover with all the amazing stuff you nam team (and others) are developing :thumbsup:

thanks for the quick answer.

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

blahdy

Quote from: Tropod on February 20, 2008, 11:26:01 PM

Unfortunately, as Tarkus has pointed out, the modeling aspect is the main issue really. And for as long as I can remember, this has always been the case really when it comes to creating new stuff for SC4 for networks; either a lack of texture &/or modeling artists. And typically, though not always (as I'm sure there's one or two exceptions), those who do the modding side of things (NAM/network wise) aren't always too great at the texturing/modeling/batting.

But the thing is there are modellers out there who offered help, including myself.  It's not that there aren't any modellers/artists available at all for the community, the main problem is there is not many people out there with 3ds Max 9 to be able to integrate models for game environment.  Modelling is only half the job needed to bring it into the game, the other half before you even get to modding stage is to prepare the model for game environment.  This has always been part of the problem.

Shadow Assassin

The problem, blahdy, is more: People don't know how it all works. Only a few people have the ability to transfer true 3D models into SC4.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Quote from: Warrior on February 22, 2008, 02:35:01 AM
Maybe someone in the know can write a guide that humans can read and is up to date?

All too true. :D  redlotus' guide isn't the easiest thing in the world to comprehend.  It took me about 6 months to really figure it all out. 

Edit:  I just finished up a guide with the basic guidelines for transit modeling, which can be found here;)  Still a bit rough, but it's enough for anyone to get going.

-Alex (Tarkus)