• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NYBT International Month

Started by Vlasky, June 01, 2015, 05:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlasky

Welcome to the first

NYBT International Month is a project of NYBT long in the making. We wanted to give a little bit more of attention to the International style building from NYC and particularly Manhattan.

During the month of June we will be posting progress and revealing projects we've been all working on. As a month comes to a close, we will try our best to finish as many of the BATs and upload them to the StEx.

As usual, this thread will be a quick overview of the progress, and for more details head over to the each creator's individual BAT Thread in the NYBT sub-forum.

​Participation in this project has been confirmed by: Seraf, Aarong Graham, PBGV103, Vlasky and Darknono35 (but he has disappeared in the meantime).
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Vlasky

Well guys I'm back with updates. As you know by now, we have been quietly working on the NYBT INternational Month for quite some time now. Finally, it is time to show you what we've been up to all that time.

First project I chose to reveal is 41 Madison Avenue, also known as the New York Merchandise Mart.
Most of the exterior has been done and all that is left to do is figure out how to do the interior and after that night lights. Also there is some room for improvement on the glass part. Here it is:

My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

reddonquixote

Looks great! My only comment would be the roof seems a bit clean? It is curious to see such transparent glass, is that what you mean by it needs improvement? It's going to be tricky glass to get right, the glass does have a lot of transparency at some angles, it might just be a case of adjusting the IOR to the right level... not sure.

Can't wait to see more  :thumbsup:

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

noahclem

Looks great  &apls  This is an exciting project I look forward to following. I do hope you won't include the base pavement as part of the final model though....

c.p.

Look good to me :thumbsup:  I agree with Noah about the base pavement.

art128

Interesting idea, it sure is. I like it and will be following it... :)
Why no LEX upload too?
Same remark as Noah about the pavement at the base, though the building looks good model and texture wise. :)

THough, I fail to see how that is international style? If you ask me, a cube as a design for a building is pretty much very American style.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

Looks fantastic!I would also echo the comments regarding the base texture
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Simcoug

Quote from: art128 on June 02, 2015, 08:06:54 AM
THough, I fail to see how that is international style? If you ask me, a cube as a design for a building is pretty much very American style.

I think they are referring to the architectural style category

Aaron Graham

Simcoug Your right. :)

Paramount Plaza

Here's a gray render of my international for you guys. In this render the building is scaled a 133% let me know if the scaling is not right. :)

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Aaron Graham

Paramount Plaza

Another update, I made a few change to the roof. :D

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Aaron Graham

No support from anybody here. so, so sad. :(

Paramount Plaza

Here's an small update, I have worked on the some of the roof junk and a little bit of the entrance. :)

art128

Quote from: Aaron Graham on June 03, 2015, 03:36:28 AM
No support from anybody here. so, so sad. :(

Keep in mind the traffic of SC4D is way smaller than that of Simtropolis. :)

Looking forward for even more progress. :)

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

reddonquixote

Yeah, these kind of small updates aren't going to get the same kind of reception they once did, doesn't matter which site you're at. Never fear - you make beautiful models Aaron. SC4 is still (for now) the greatest city-building game and you're still a big apart of that, don't forget it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

Simcoug

Yep yep yep... so cool Aaron!  This is a monster of a building, can't wait to see your beautiful textures.

Jack_wilds

lurking and loitering...  :P

too busy at the pet shop...

just nothing clever to add to the progress...  ???

like peering through the knot of the wooden fence...   :popcorn:

should I have somethin to pipe-up about I will...  :satisfied:

oh... its all looking good so far... :)

c.p.

Beautifully detailed model so far, especially the roof :thumbsup:

Aaron Graham

art128- Thank you, and your right about the traffic. :P

reddonquixote- Thank you buddy!!!! :O

Simcoug- Thank you!!!

Jack_wilds- Lol, still at the petshop and thank you. :D

c.p.- Thank you!!!

Paramount Plaza

Another update. Still some work to do on the roof and I'm still battling it. :)

noahclem

You're great work here keeps getting better  :bnn:

belfastsocrates

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Vlasky

reddonquixote: Well yes, I do think roof concrete textures need a bit of dirtying up. Most likely I will use bit brighter material with darn42's procedural dirt masking. As for glass, I want it to be a bit more reflective, but it will remain pretty much transparent. I have discussed with PBGV103 the method he uses to populate the interior He uses proxies of furniture and I think I will try that as well on this one. It should make night lights easy as well.

noahclem and c.p. and belfastsocrates : Thanks guys. I will not be including that material on the plaza. Not only because of itself, but also because I do plan to have a lot that will be to measure with RL dimensions, for recreationists, which is more setback from Madison Avenue than what you currently see in render. However it will be there but invisible to cameraso that metal facade of the base has something to reflect.

art128: Thanks. Well it is just a matter of copy/paste from SImtropolis Text. What I do think will unfortunately happen is that the upload will be late. As with Maritime Exchange building (still not on the LEX) I will need someone to modd it to be CAM-patible. As for the International style, Simcoug explained it.

Aaron Graham: Buddy, you know how strongly I feel about this building and I'm happy you're killing it so far!

Update:
Well since I didn't get around to working on the 41 Madison I have to reveal the second BAT, right?

The Second BAT from me for the NYBT International Month is J.P. Stevens Company Tower or 1185 Sixth Avenue.

That's a zoom4. Zoom5 of the roof and the plaza behind the building (little pines are missing from this render)

As for this building, the whole ground floor needs remodeling and adding details, there is also an annex behind with gallery/theater and a "bridge" connecting the tower and the annex that I need to model. The Plan is to have the tower with Plaza available for growable/ploppable purposes and the version with annex for the recreationists. I'd like to have a diagonal version as well.