• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4Mapper 2013 Version Support thread Version 5!

Started by wouanagaine, January 13, 2013, 11:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex@

Seems I'm getting a bit stuck here.

I'm using a software called GlobalMapper V7 to take snapshots from. As with any other program, it only supports 8-bit (24-bit) colors.
I need to display ~200m of difference from water level to 200m. I then specify water as being gray 84 and 200m as being gray 144. The software has then the option to blend between those colors.
If I take a snapshot of the screen (my only option), I asume I then get a 32bit color snapshot, as I'm using that color for my screen. Then I paste to my photo editor.
It doesn't matter what editor I use, as even Adobe Photoshop also only has a grayscale palette and color picker, even for gray 16-bit or RGB 48-bit. In other words, I can't test if I get the amount of colors that I want. But I asume, I don't and only get 8/24bit.

If I do the same task setting the water to gray 9 of 255 and 200m at 21 of 255 and take a snapshot, I only get a very rough landscabe, doing all this the same way by ONLY working in 16-bit grayscale. So short put, grayscale is a better option, as I have a wider range from 84 to 144 than from 9 to 21.

However I did some testing with the RGB importer/exporter and it seems a better choice, now that I can't get gray 16-bit to work. In GlobalMapper I can specify as many levels I want, I just need the right colors that are used with the RGB bmp importer. Do you have a list of those colors?

EDIT: Figured out how to import from GlobalMapper with RGB colors.

This article gave me the hints: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=116.0

My clr data looks like this:
ColorMap 1 1
-250.000000 0 0 0
-224.500000 0 0 255
-224.400000 0 16 0
-199.000000 0 16 255
-198.900000 0 32 0
-173.500000 0 32 255
-173.400000 0 48 0
-148.000000 0 48 255
-147.900000 0 64 0
-122.500000 0 64 255
-122.400000 0 80 0
-97.000000 0 80 255
-96.900000 0 96 0
-71.500000 0 96 255
-71.400000 0 112 0
-46.000000 0 112 255
-45.900000 0 128 0
-20.500000 0 128 255
-20.400000 0 144 0
5.000000 0 144 255
5.100000 0 160 0
30.500000 0 160 255
30.600000 0 176 0
56.000000 0 176 255
56.100000 0 192 0
81.500000 0 192 255
81.600000 0 208 0
107.000000 0 208 255
107.100000 0 224 0
132.000000 0 224 255
132.100000 0 240 0
158.000000 0 240 255
158.100000 16 0 0
183.500000 16 0 255

I use the color R0 G144 B206 for the water*. This will make the water to coastal line height. I then via my photo editor select the water via a mask, reduce the mask a bit and enable feather on it. I can then color all the water in a darker color and have a nice increasing water depth out to around 5m from the coastal line.

This method is pretty accurate compared to the real world.

*) The reason I'm using a coastal height for water to decrease it later, is because on many of the coastal bits on the DK map, there are large pieces of land that is at 0m or lower. By using this method, I'm sure land at 0 m or lower, still is created automatically as coastal line.

I can't attach images in this board, but you can see the result here: http://www.e-debatten.dk/index.php?topic=33.0

KoV Liberty

Okay, I've got a brand new problem it seems. Either that or I have missed it. I created my region no problem but when I go to open up any city tile, it CTDs after loading it for ~1 min. I'm running Windows 8 Pro X64. Any suggestions?

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

wouanagaine

Kov, can you reload your region in SC4Mapper ? if yes it means you might have a plugin at fault, or that your region is very high and the terrain mod you're using is missing some high textures
if no, can you run the debug version and past the console output here?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

KoV Liberty

Nothing worked, so here is the debug:

Adrian, I miss you man.

wouanagaine

That's weird, no errors is showing ... What is display on SC4Mapper screen ? a blank window ?

Do the files in your regions folder exists? are there any missing (based on the x,y coordinates ) ? can you try to open on of them with reader ?
Can you try to create a region with a smaller map ? ( or even  take your oahu map and edit the config to only have one city )
can you also give me the exact version you're using ? it is in the title bar

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

KoV Liberty

SC4Mapper shows the map just fine, the version is 2013.5b. The files exist in the regions folder, there is nothing missing (x,y wise), what reader are you talking about (confused here on that bit), and I've just done an 8x8 region and had the same CTD problem when opening a city tile.

Adrian, I miss you man.

wouanagaine

Can you try to open a maxis original city ? does it CTD also ?
Can you try to open a city from the 8x8 region with an empty plugin folder ?

As for reader, it is ILive Reader, you can try to open one of the sc4 file in the region

New Horizons Productions

KoV Liberty

MAxis cities also crash. And at this point I do think it is a plugins conflict. I think i have a solution. Cut out A starting plugins, see what happens, cut out B, etc. etc. And with an empty plugins it opens fine. So it is a plugin conflict.

Update: I've figured out the problem. CP's Columbus terrain pack was conflicting with his own tree controllers and models. Not sure why as they have (I think) worked together for me in the past. Anyone having this conflight should download the LBT Yucatan texture pack from Simtrop as a replacement for the Columbus terrain mod. As I can only imagine that the trees that CP uses are quite essential everywhere else. Thanks for your help wouanagaine. Sorry to blamer SC4M but it just happened around the same time. :P

Havva good one everybody!

Alex

Adrian, I miss you man.

MOREOPTIONS

Good day everyone.  I have a small question!  from gray scaled images till full color RGB's I can not make any map for my game.  I have tried may sizes of images. I select CREATE REGION and brows to the map I will like to create and select.  sometimes it will say the size need to change so I select YES.  Then I can walk away for hrs on end while it's thinking about it.  It's never able to make anything this way!!!  only option that's working is the SC4M option...   What am I over looking.  follow every step by step that the old MAPPER used to work.  Is there a better program recommendation to make my own personal regions?  please/thank you....     

Karabina

Hello everyone, i might have found a small issue with my Mapper.
I want to create a region from a sc4m file, but everytime I click OK, a blue window pops up in front of the program, a tutorial or guide, something like that.
The thing is, I can't see the top or the bottom of that window, therefore it's impossible to close it and it won't move  ()what()
There are also, small button-thingy with a red X, but it won't do nothing either
Is it only me or do I have to do something to avoid this?

Edit: White squares were supposed to be images  :D

greenbelt

ANOTHER EDIT:  I realized my mistake as I was re-reading my own post.  "Create Region"  not "Load Region"  All is fine now.  New region folder was created in \My Documents\ Plugins.  Without quitting Mapper I opened SC4Deluxe and loaded my Plymouth region.  Opened a city tile successfully and saved-exit to region.  Now I will find a Terrain style that I like before I open all the other tiles.

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &aplsTHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS GREAT PRODUCT YOU HAVE CREATED!!!!!!!! &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

EDIT:  I successfully installed and ran Mapper.  I clicked "Load Region" and navigated to the "c.p. Plymouth Map" folder and clicked "open folder".  Then all I got was a grey screen in the Mapper window.  Should I have waited longer?

*  I went to the DirectX site and followed instructions to diagnose my PC.  I have DirectX version 11.
     *  I downloaded and installed dffsetup-msvcp71.exe.  It also fixed 15 "Registry Errors" for free.  (Need to buy to fix the rest!  LOL)

What else should I be doing?

Thanks.

I would like to confirm before I make any mistakes.  I have read the User thread and it all seems very clear.  I am a long time Mac user and just got a new PC last week.  Please excuse the ridiculousness of these questions.   &ops

*  I unzip all my custom content to a folder named "SC4 Custom Content" which I keep in \My Documents on C drive.

*  I have unzipped SC4Mapper2013 and SC4Terraformer, and all maps, etc. to this same folder.  I run (double click) the installers from here.

Question 1:  I suppose the installer will place the application in the correct place and also a shortcut on my desktop so I know how to start the application?  thanks I did this part successfully.

Question 2:  After using SC4 Mapper 2013 and saving the region, how will the game find it if I don't move the map into the Regions folder?  Does SC4Mapper do this for me?  have not opened the region successfully yet.

Quote1. These are the Instructions from c.p.'s ReadMe  (Plymouth Map).  They are quite clear but I still worry.

Unzip the folder this readme came in (if you haven't already).
2. Open SC4Mapper 2013
3. Click "Create Region".
4. Choose "SC4M".
5. Navigate to the file "Plymouth.SC4M", (in the folder you unzipped in step 1), and hit "Open". Is it OK to keep this file in my SC4 Custom Content folder in My Documents? Should I make a Plymouth folder in the Regions folder and put this there?
6. After a few seconds, the terrain will appear in the SC4Mapper window. If you want to change the layout of the cities, do it now. Then, click "Save Region".
7. Give the region a name and save.  Do I save to the Regions Folder in Plugins?
8. Run SimCity 4 and open up the region. The colors will be the SC4Mapper colors. You will need to open and save each city in order for the normal game colors to show up.How will the game find the region?

Thanks in Advance.  I am probably just being paranoid.  I don't want to try first and have something get screwed up.

Sum1

thebagleboy

I have experienced it but loading/saving the city fixed it so I didn't pay much notice to it.

Sum1

Quote from: thebagleboy on January 08, 2014, 07:22:40 PM
I have experienced it but loading/saving the city fixed it so I didn't pay much notice to it.

That didn't work for me, but I've now fixed the issue by running in windowed mode. I was fullscreen 1920x1200 before and had the strange cut-off effect at anything above 1024x768 - now in windowed mode I can play at 1920x1080 and the map renders fine :) Strange though  ???

*Edit* The problem doesn't occur when fullscreen @ 1920x1080. It must be an aspect-ratio thing  "$Deal"$

cammillotto

Hello!

Very nice tool. I have a big question, and I hope you can help me.
Is it possible to change the city configuration in a region I'm already playing with?
I tried once but it flattened the cities I had previously built. I managed to recover them, by the way.
Thank you for your help!
Matteo

LordGunther

I just used SC4Mapper 2013 to create a region from an SC4M file (GrandValley.SC4M if anyone is interested) and the region exists and is playable in my game, but the coloring is off:(http://imgur.com/Pwh3LPc,s93NLfo#0) its the same colors as used in the Mapper while in region view and changes to normal when I go into city view.  Additionally, and this is the main issue: when i go from a city back to region view, I have an even worse color issue:(http://imgur.com/Pwh3LPc,s93NLfo#1).  Thanks in advance for any help!

Your Mom

The installer seems to not be able load this region: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26136-volcania/

It opens well, despite when I try to make the SC4M file, it loads not. The window grows to beyond the screen's height and narrows a little, changes to white colored, and simply uses almost 200MB RAM doing nothing. I have for it to run 2 hours allowed, and eventually up gave. All other regions seem to work well. How do I fix this?

vortext

Maybe use the Terraformer instead, I just gave it a go and the region came out fine.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Batt4c

Good Day! I'm a beginner adding maps to SC4. Terraformer won't run on my Win7Pro machine but SC4Mapper 2013.5b does. I've downloaded a few maps, loaded them in Mapper and saved them as regions, but none show up in the game. Only one map, Isles of Pandora, produced a folder that I didn't create in the Documents folder.

I'm sure I'm not doing something I'm supposed to do since reboots, running Mapper by itself and then SC4 by itself have not worked. Any ideas?

Mikey Knox

I get a strange Graphical Bug when i enter the Region View. I attach Screenshots on what i mean, i dont know whats the error here, maybe someone could help me out here.

Thx