• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Durfsurn's Mayor Diary - Currently in "???" - Teaser 5

Started by Durfsurn, August 06, 2014, 01:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durfsurn

Teaser #3

Replies and full update soon.

-Billy

isii94

A RHW terminating in the middle of nowhere? Don't you think a small rural street would have been enough for the lighthouse and this shack?  :P
You could use more MMPs to make a smoother transition between the lot and the beach (or make the lot transparent).

The city looks really nice, especially with all the diagonal and FAR segments in the road network. In my cities FAR+w2w always looks weird  &Thk/(
MD coming soon...

Durfsurn

Map Update #1

A new type of update! I haven't compiled a full in-game screenshot style update yet, but I did make a couple of quick (I would say small but... they're not :P) maps to show you all.

A warning however that they are massive images, measuring in at over 9mb each (it was a pain getting them up somewhere %wrd).

Firstly a satellite image of the region (taken with the Region Census application if anyone was wondering) here.

Secondly I added some overlay labels to the previous image here.
     White  - Place name
     Green  - Terrain related names
     Blue    - Water related names

Currently I am working on connecting Harrington and Assimopolis together with farmland - the southern part is complete but I have to do the northern part. Now it is possible to travel all the way from southern Yaurtz to the far east of Harrington. I also built another airport - this time a more rural one. Close ups soon. I am also planning to made a UDI video of a drive around the bay - from somewhere around Hastings Point all the way around through Assimopolis and Harrington and then back down to Cape Castlemaine.

Thanks for reading and hopefully a full update is coming soon - I will also do all the replies in that update. (Also let me know if there are any inconsistencies with my labels and I'll be sure to fix them ;))

-Billy

vortext

Sweet, based on the previews I had no idea you're using Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.  :thumbsup:

But please for the love of all that's holy render the other tiles first of all. . such a nice region deserves a proper region view.  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

b22rian

Billy,

I loved the new map Updates  :thumbsup:

I know your busy over at NAM with the various projects your doing for us there  :)

But hope you will be able to return to this great MD  you started here soon.

Thanks, Brian

Durfsurn

Teaser #4

All will be explained soon....
-Billy

benedict

Great teaser. The access road to the station has the perfect curves.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Durfsurn

Hey everyone - it's been a while. Before I jump into replies, I'll just explain a few things. The previous site I have been hosting photos on has gone offline and hasn't been relived. I have moved onto Flickr but older pics will not show. One day I might replace them with working links but until then sit tight :). Next I have been (and still am) on a semi-hiatus so I haven't updated here in a while. I do have a proper update - one with a fair bit of detail I think as I have moved on to a new region :). Okay let's start!

Replies:

Quote from: isii94 on September 07, 2014, 08:19:58 AM
A RHW terminating in the middle of nowhere? Don't you think a small rural street would have been enough for the lighthouse and this shack?  :P
You could use more MMPs to make a smoother transition between the lot and the beach (or make the lot transparent).

The city looks really nice, especially with all the diagonal and FAR segments in the road network. In my cities FAR+w2w always looks weird  &Thk/(

Well may some context would have helped. I use RHW as a rural road network as it slope conforms nicer than roads in my slope mod and it is a faster road too. Basically it transitions down to road and then a MMP (which I am not proficient at :P) path before the lighthouse.

Thanks as well on the FAR stuff. I don't really do anything special to them though. :)

Quote from: vortext on September 19, 2014, 07:32:39 AM
Sweet, based on the previews I had no idea you're using Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.  :thumbsup:

But please for the love of all that's holy render the other tiles first of all. . such a nice region deserves a proper region view.  ;)

Well I'm not anymore :(. I have moved on but it is likely that I will revisit The Kingdom of Samsonia at some point. In my new region, you will love that I have rendered all the tiles to their detailed glory :).

Quote from: b22rian on October 05, 2014, 03:18:18 AM
Billy,

I loved the new map Updates  :thumbsup:

I know your busy over at NAM with the various projects your doing for us there  :)

But hope you will be able to return to this great MD  you started here soon.

Thanks, Brian

Thanks Brian! Glad to hear you are enjoying this :). Here I am returning too.

Quote from: benedict on October 21, 2014, 08:40:15 AM
Great teaser. The access road to the station has the perfect curves.

Dem curves? :P Thanks Ben.

Onto the update proper then?

Update 4 - Construction and (another) Video!

As the change in title suggests we have moved south, closer to the equator! Using Heblems' California Terrain mod and the Mombasa map I have created my next SC4 playground. Named Yokotomo, after Kyanshi Yokotomo - a Japanese explorer that discovered this coastal area back in 1721. This heritage is not lost, with many buildings having roots in Japanese architecture despite having a closer overall style to that of modern Europe and North America.

The region currently houses approximately 270,000 residents but is a very large WIP. Currently without a formal Capital City, government lies in the heart of Alberton - the largest city, situated on the Alberton and Kyanshi Rivers. It is the current hub for all things Yokotomo and houses 99% of the population. Moving north-east we can see the city tile I started working on in my new video series.

This update is going to be split into 3 parts - 2 sets of pictures and a video.

1.1: We start in the heart of Alberton, on Canterbury Island - where the CBD lies. Here the government has received multiple complaints about an intersection along the City Bypass - a spur route of the main E/W highway. Cutting through the CBD, the Bypass is freeway grade everywhere except one point on the southern bridge, heading into the CBD. An at-grade crossing is heavily used along with the bridge south of that. It carries the majority of traffic from the eastern suburbs into the hustle and bustle of Uptown. For some unknown reason it was never given a grade separation along with the other intersections in the freeway blitz of 1983.

1.2: As we can see, the bridge and intersection is under a lot of stress. What we can also see is that the majority of traffic is going south to get to ground level, straight on, or back over the bridge in the morning commute.

1.3: It is very similar in the evening commute as well.

1.4: From this we can ascertain that the best solution to grade separate the intersection is to do a half diamond. Construction starts, as some houses and buisnesses are destroyed - as is the overpass and intersection.

1.5: For the sake of breverity, I have culled a few photos - otherwise this update would be insanely long and boring :P. Here we see the top ramp go in. The concrete barriers on the mainline have been culled between the bridge and viaduct due to the odd shortage of concrete at the point of construction :P.

1.6: More destroying of houses and the second ramp is put in.

1.7: Some more road is built (and destroyed) and the final ramp is put in. Rezoning of the area has also been done as construction to the left starts again. There was some worried people regarding the steepness of the on ramp here - many not only thought that cars would have trouble getting up to freeway speeds but getting up at all. The local council did some car tests, using even low powered cars but found no problem getting up. As a cautionary measure, the speed limit for this small section is lowered from 100 to 80 km/h.

1.8: A small zoom out for some context as well.

2.1: Onto the second construction part. We move along that highway, travelling through the suburbs of Alberton and into the farmland on the north eastern side. Here, as the highway starts to hear north, we enter into Cochraine Fields. We are focusing on the small at-grade crossing between the high capacity parclo (which has a combined 6 lanes off/on ramp to and from the city to serve the seaside getaway to the east) where a small township has bloomed. However in recent times, the people of this township have moved to Cochraine the town (the seaside getaway), and left only a few people left. These few people have, however, lobbied for years for the crossing to be grade separated as the through traffic run all the time and have annoyed sleeping residents. Recently the rural council has successfully got some federal funding for the upgrade. This will not only have an overpass but two ramps - one on-ramp northbound and an off-ramp southbound. This is to stop trucks from going west along gravel roads and also to provide residents with a way to get to work in the town.

2.2: Houses and roads are ripped up, while some slip roads are temporarily layed for truck access - if you are wondering why the council had to pave the road fully, some feared the large trucks along this route would find taking 90 degree turns on gravel or dirt dangerous.

2.3: Construction begins!

2.4: Overpass completed. It was pre-fabricated in a warehouse before hand to minimise impact on the freeway.

2.5: The cranes and construction company have moved on - as the road laying crew come in to finish the ramps.

2.6: Dirt, then gravel is layed down, as the surface is prepared for highway pavement.

2.7: Finally the ramps and paved and painted. This quiet township will return to its quietness - well at least a little more :P.

2.8: To end off, here is a zoomed out picture of the mainland in this city tile. We can see Cochraine proper, with its hotel and marine police precinct, and a smaller township - oddly built inside the parclo!

3.1: Finally to end off a mammoth update, here is a video I recorded a couple of days ago. It is likely that for the near future (or at least while I progress on that city tile) that the updates will be in videos - not unlike Haljackey's excellent Building a City from Scratch series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibYCwbXU6k

If you have stuck around and read all 1584 words (incl. BB code and img embeds etc) then I congratulate you!  &apls

Until next time, probably another video, I will see you then.

Enjoy,
-Billy

odrzutowiec

Great update! I like the story about infrastructure upgrading. Awesome screenshots!  ;D I can't load the video, however.

FrankU

Well.... you took your time!

Pity the images in the first updates are not visible anymore. To me, that is....
Anyway, a new harbour does attract my attention. Let's see how it will develop.

Durfsurn

Map Update #2

So, after the fifth teaser I posted a month ago (already a month?  ???) I have made major progress on the 3x3 large tile area I am working on that is Greater Franklin City.
This is it in its current state. The opaque dashed lines show proposed roads that will feature in the upcoming update proper.

Right Click and open in new tab for Full Size.

-Billy

peperodriguez2710

I love the way you mixed curves and a square-based grid in your street layout. The map looks very good too. Can't wait to see the port!
Looking forward to seeing more!  :thumbsup:

eggman121

Great work Billy  :thumbsup:

Love the map! I see that you are using the alphanumeric route numbers like what is used in Melbourne.

Keen to see more  ;D

-Stephen

noahclem

Outstanding maps  &apls  My one critique is that the diamond interchange south of the 4-way interchange on the peninsula between the harbor and the river takes up a lot of space considering the 4-way interchange seems to be built to save space in the area.

carlfatal

Sadly I wasn´t able to see the pictures of the first site. Here on the second everything is fine and all pictures there.

I like that map works, but esepcially I love that "boring" view over the Cochrane tile!  &apls &apls
Also very nice, how you simulate the forthcoming of the highway construction.

One little critics: The two bridges in the harbour area: I would use diagonal ones. But that is some personal view.  ;)

kelis

I can't wait to see that big port zone with some ingame pictures
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||