• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

debutterfly

I'm going to have to report you Alex to Big Brother (1984) for being too creative.  ;) Love the work even if it does not increase the traffic for intersections. Must be aheluvalot of new RULs. Great development.

-Larry (debutterfly)

Tarkus

Quote from: z on August 01, 2009, 10:52:06 PM
And a visual pun for a logo, no less.  Nice!   :D 

I couldn't resist.   :D  I was trying to see how crazy I could get with the acronym . . . this one lends itself to a lot of punnage. ;)

Quote from: z on August 01, 2009, 10:52:06 PM
And the only reason I say "overall" is that people are going to want me to make RTMT stations that fit all of these intersections...  ::)

I know that feeling . . . that's why I'm planning on taking a very gradual approach here.

Quote from: swat-medic on August 01, 2009, 11:12:48 PM
Will you be adding stop lights with turn arrows the? ;D

Stop lights are one of the trickiest things in the game to mod.  Harder than RULing, in fact.  I have started to figure out something that might work, but it'll likely involve using manual signal synchronization to approximate the game's auto-synchronization through the StopPaths system, as the auto-synchronization is a royal pain.

Quote from: Korot on August 02, 2009, 04:00:20 AM
Question: Why are turning lanes needed for the RHW-4? They shouldn't have at-grade intersections, and there already exist puzzle pieces for the MIS-ramps.

The RHW-4 network is already capable of building at-grade intersections with the Street, Road, RHW-2, Rail and GLR networks, and there are in some areas, at least here in the US, where 4-lane divided highways feature both grade-separated interchanges and at-grade intersections, particularly in rural areas on non-Interstates.  A prime example can be found on US Highway 26 near Banks, Oregon.  If you scroll to the east, the highway gradually upgrades and eventually turns into an interstate-grade freeway as you get closer to Portland. 

Quote from: debutterfly on August 04, 2009, 04:58:49 AM
I'm going to have to report you Alex to Big Brother (1984) for being too creative.  ;) Love the work even if it does not increase the traffic for intersections. Must be aheluvalot of new RULs.

Hehe . . . and to answer the whole capacity/functionality end of things, some of the TuLEP designs, like the Avenue Dual Left setup, may actually result in more efficient use of the intersection by the traffic simulator, if you're using Plugins A, B or Z, due to how things lay on the tile.  The RULs actually aren't too prohibitive here--they're mostly copy paste.  The tricky parts are the pathing and figuring out how to arrange these pieces without creating a bunch of confusion on the part of the end user (which, as the project expands, could easily happen).  I'm looking at doing a DAMN set in the long run.

And now for a new development pic . . . introducing OWR TuLEPs.

-Alex

JoeST

do the paths out of that intersection actually follow the logic of the piece? or is it just 'eyecandy'ish?

its looking AWESOME though. and I only just got the logo-pun, I loled (thanks to your sig :D)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

metarvo

Nice work and nice acronym :D , Alex.  One of my favorite things about this new project is that it allows more freedom for traffic signal placement.  Of course, the prospect of a true SPUI is equally impressive.  Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Ryan B.

Another TuLEP blooms . . . . don't you just love the smell of freshly laid asphalt in the morning?

Signals are blooming, too . . . . . ;)  Pictures to follow later!

j-dub

@Tarkus, first I'm glad to see you figured out the scale for dual avenue left turn lanes. Second, I didn't know you felt deeply about covering signals that much. I will say, we have found a working avenue/road Maxis intersection with signals on the second tile that do turn red, simply because in this case the stop points were on that second tile. If I remember correctly, they may have been on the sidewalk of that second tile so the cars would not stop in the intersection.

In comparison to the Maxis lights, if you really were up in the air at that angle, you wouldn't see the lights, because the lights would be visor cupped and a lot of people have their lights rendered in gmax with those visor cups on them, and then you don't see the lights anyway, if you used real math to render them.

I also wanted to add that a guy, I think his name is Peter, did render some SC4 signals, that had working animations, but not network connected. From what I have seen in my game, at times the signals somehow did eventually mimic the game's traffic simulator that the lights did match traffic patterns of the intersection. It would not work until after a long period of time though. And yes, these turn arrow style signals would be able to go AFTER avenue intersections.

Korot, what your asking may be possible. Right now, it looks like RUL's for Draggable MIS turn lanes to AVE seem to work, but as you can see, no arrows. Arrow textures were made, but this too, still has yet to be developed.

z

Quote from: metarvo on August 06, 2009, 05:22:46 AM
Of course, the prospect of a true SPUI is equally impressive.

I'm trying to follow too many things at once, and haven't kept up with all the acronyms.  What's an SPUI?  ()what()  Super Pretty User Interface?  Strangely Powerful User Interface?

JoeST

Quote from: z on August 06, 2009, 12:19:52 PM
I'm trying to follow too many things at once, and haven't kept up with all the acronyms.  What's an SPUI?  ()what()  Super Pretty User Interface?  Strangely Powerful User Interface?
Single Point Urban Interchange. [linky]

z

Thanks!  Very nicely designed.  I could really use one of those...

itsacoaster

Quote from: z on August 06, 2009, 12:35:34 PM
Thanks!  Very nicely designed.  I could really use one of those...
Then you'd be interested in this, if you haven't already seen it:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.msg260334#msg260334

sithlrd98

At the risk of sounding dumb...are Diags going to get turn arrows?

Jayson

MandelSoft

One question: do these turning lanes have a custom lenght? I would really like to see that  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Quote from: JoeST on August 06, 2009, 04:39:44 AM
do the paths out of that intersection actually follow the logic of the piece? or is it just 'eyecandy'ish?

Well, they follow what I initially thought was the logic of the piece, but it turns out Maxis did some screwy stuff with the paths, and both lanes on the OWR can turn left onto the Road, which, if done in RL, would result in "car billiards". :D  The intent of these, generally, is that the pathing will match with the TuLEP piece design, though.

Quote from: sithlrd98 on August 06, 2009, 05:25:15 PM
At the risk of sounding dumb...are Diags going to get turn arrows?

Not a dumb question at all. :)  Diagonals TuLEPs are definitely on the list of eventual features here.

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 07, 2009, 01:22:39 AM
One question: do these turning lanes have a custom lenght? I would really like to see that  ;)

Yes, they do.  They're broken up into small puzzle pieces, generally not larger than 2x2 or so, so as to modularize the system as much as possible.  Here's a random sampling of a few of the TuLEPs pieces.  Look closely and you'll see the debut of Road TuLEPs.

-Alex

shanghai kid

wow, looking great @Alex i specially love the new Road TuLEPs  &apls
Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

MandelSoft

Good to hear that, Alex! (You know what they say about great minds ;) )

By the way, I wouldn't mind to eurofy these TuLEPs pieces
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

WC_EEND

RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

u.mueller

Just my personal opinion here, but I think the AVE TULEP looks a bit steep for my taste. I'd suggest making it a 2x3 puzzle piece to allow for smoother transitions.

Also, as a suggestion, how about curved TULEPs to increase flexibility in tight spots?

Keep up the great work! ;D

io_bg

Quote from: u.mueller on August 07, 2009, 03:57:41 AM
Just my personal opinion here, but I think the AVE TULEP looks a bit steep for my taste. I'd suggest making it a 2x3 puzzle piece to allow for smoother transitions.
I agree!
Looks great though, can't wait to see more pics ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

JoeST

What I meant was, is the intersection square plopable with a custom path... or could the previously-plopped piece change the paths?

Also, those pieces look awesome :D

Joe