• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_Waters

korver

- UPDATE 48: Ancient Egypt (Preview) -

Ancient Egypt has always been a personal favorite place of mine - and I'm finally making it a reality in SC4. I recently found an awesome model online which I exported into a number of parts and assembled it in the game.. and the results are impressive. (If anyone is really interested in it, I'll try to contact the author to see if I can re upload it). From there it was a matter of custom lotting it and carefully removing the base textures - if anyone's interested, I did a guide on that process in my Year In Review entry earlier in the year. I'm planning on doing some more commentary and guides in the future though :)

Anyways, I'm putting the finishing touches on this scene - its covering the Pyramids, Sphinx, Nile River, and some of the surrounding farmland..  expect to see the full update very soon! :)

-korver

---

Replies

Tyberius06: Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed it! ;D

TheTeaCat: Thanks for the comment and feedback! I think the texture on the pilings for that model was actually stone, but it was scaled way too small and ended up looking like concrete from that distance :P I'll be sure to scale up the textures before rendering in situations like that though in the future :)

Badsim: Thank you very much for the nice words!  :thumbsup:

Alan_Waters: Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

Akallan

My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

art128

Seems i missed some updates. The previous update about London was really well made. Good job with the old bridge.

Ancient Egypt looks promising!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

korver

- UPDATE 49: Ancient Egypt -

Today, we're traveling back to 2500 BCE to Ancient Egypt to take a look some of the greatest man made wonders of all time, along with some of the stunning surrounding landscape. We begin with the The Great Sphinx of Giza - the most recognizable statue of Ancient Egypt - and even to this day, it remains one of the world's most famous statues. It features a lion's body with the head of an Egyptian king - and was carved of out limestone most likely during the reign of King Khafre (2558-2532 BCE).

The Nile River was truly vital to Ancient Egypt in a number of ways - not just for crops and irrigation, but for also allowing ships to sail from city to city. Small docks like this one lined the edge of the river.

The land surrounding the Nile River was nutrient rich, and had excellent farming conditions. The ancient Egyptians called the soil "The Gift of the Nile" - and a variety of crops could be planted such as wheat, figs, barley, melons, and figs.

We move on to the pyramids - it took three generations to complete this complex, and it was well worth the wait. Despite their condition today - the pyramids were once coated in polished white limestone - one of the most incredible sights imaginable. Each pyramid has a series of chambers underneath - and are believed to be tombs for their namesakes.

The Pyramid of Khufu - also known as the Great Pyramid of Giza - was the largest of these pyramids. It is the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and the only one to still remain to this day.

The Pyramid of Khafre is the second largest of the Pyramids (although it might look taller due the fact it's on a higher elevation) - but has a much more elaborate complex of chambers and was also once connected to the Sphinx by a walkway.

The Pyramid of Menkaure was the smallest of the three - to set it apart and to give it a unique look, the lower portion is encased in granite.

Finally, some overviews of the entire area.

-korver

---

Replies

Akallan: Thanks for the comment!

art128: Thank you very much for the nice words!

carlfatal

Paris, London, now Ancient Egypt...whatever you start, it comes out as a an eyecatching SC4-wonder.  &apls

Thank You again for all the pictures!  :)

Akallan

My CJ :

art128

Absolutely stunning!
The only thing i have to say is that the Nile is actually quite far from the pyramid... Was it running through there in ancient times or did you put it close for the sake of the pictures?

Props & Texture Catalog

M4346

Quote from: art128 on October 22, 2017, 11:48:29 AM
Absolutely stunning!
The only thing i have to say is that the Nile is actually quite far from the pyramid... Was it running through there in ancient times or did you put it close for the sake of the pictures?

The course of the Nile has changed quite significantly over the millennia, and it was indeed a lot closer to the pyramids than it is today.

Anyway, as a huge fan of Ancient Egypt and its history (and Rome and Greece) this is amazing! Great job!  &apls &apls &apls

PS. I still occasionally, nostalgically fire up Pharaoh and Cleopatra.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

korver

- UPDATE 50: Roman Empire (Pt. 1/3) -

For the next three updates we'll be taking a look at one of the world's greatest civilizations - the Roman Empire. We'll take a look at the humble beginnings, rise to power, and eventual downfall of this incredible empire - and all the major events along the way.

Our look back into the past begins in 753 BCE - and Rome, the eventual capital of the empire, is founded on Palatine Hill by Romulus. It's still the Iron Age - and the only structures you'll find here are thatched roof huts. It may not look like much right now - but soon, the city will start to take shape.

By 509 BCE, major changes are starting to take place in Rome. The last king has been expelled, which marks the beginning of the Roman Republic. Rome now has a constitution and a Republican government - and some of its first grand structures are starting to be built on Capitoline Hill, such as the Temple of Jupiter.

As the Republic starts to expand - its clear that having appropriate infrastructure to keep up will be vital. Some of the first aqueducts are built around 312 BCE, providing much needed water to some of the Republic's most important cities.

While the empire is growing rapidly - its also attracting the attention of outside invaders. The Carthaginian leader Hannibal and his troops wanted a piece of the Republic - but an invasion from the south (modern day Tunisia) would be too predictable and would be easily countered. Ingeniously, he led his troops (and an entire herd of elephants!) north into Iberia and across the Alps - on route to Italy in a surprise sneak attack.

While Hannibal achieves his goal of making it into Italy without facing the Roman navy or land garrisons - his next big challenge will be trying to defeat a much larger Roman army at the Battle of Cannae. Despite being outnumbered, he uses brilliant military tactics to take down the Romans and secure a crucial victory, one that causes the Romans to fear him for years to come. Even to this day, Hannibal is widely regarded as one of the greatest military leaders of all time.

Despite a couple defeats, the Roman Republic continues to move forward and prosper. Rome is expanding greatly - and a number of magnificent structures are beginning to be built. In 46 BCE the Forum of Caesar is built for Julius Caesar - and serves as a meeting place for the Senate. Rome's power is continuing to grow - and we'll be taking an depth look at the height of Rome in the next update.

-korver

Note: For these Roman Empire updates (and others) - many of the special objects you see here like the buildings and people were models I downloaded from 3d warehouse. Stuff from the STEX and a few of my own creations were used also though. Here's a pic of about everything I exported - I even went so far to make soldier MMPs for these updates. I used 3dsmax to export them as BATs (models) for the game - I then turned them into various props and MMPs, they are just like anything else you would use.

---

Replies

carlfatal: Thanks! I've been trying to tour the world with some of my recent updates - and with some of my upcoming ones too, so stay tuned :)

Akallan: Thank you very much!

art128: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! The river actually used to be much closer as M4356 mentioned - I couldn't believe it either, it's amazing how much things can change over time.

M4346: Thanks for the nice comment! I've heard a lot about those games but I haven't actually tried them out - so perhaps I'll have to give them a go one of these days ;)

Simmer2: Thanks! :)

art128

Absolutely stunning. The aqueduct scene is my favorite of this update. Looking forward to the circus maximus and coliseum.

Props & Texture Catalog

Akallan

Magnificent! In my opinion, one of the most beautiful updates, probably because I really like the history of Rome / S.P.Q.R.
The most beautiful scene is the battle, it makes me want to play Rome Total War 2, you are amazing! Thank you for this titan job you have been providing for so long! :squirrel:
My CJ :

Tyberius06

Hello Rome: Total War! :D :D :D

Amazing scenes and pictures! :)
&apls &apls &apls &apls

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Themistokles

Woooooo ...

... oooow!

Love that city scene. Love Roman architecture, Roman cities, Roman Empire. Love Rome, ancient and modern.

:satisfied:

(ps. not advocating smoking.)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

feyss

It reminds me of Caesar IV, Rome Total War and Grand Ages: Rome  :D

Great pictures of course! I'm always amazed to see stuff I didn't even expect to be available for the game  :thumbsup:

kbieniu7

Wooaaaw...  ??? Pyramids, Roman Empire? After gheography we're going to learn some history in next updates? True Earth: True History  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Seaman

My deepest respect, sir. I can only imagine how your own ideas are challenging you, but it is breathtaking to see you nailing it!  &apls

korver

- UPDATE 51: Roman Empire (Pt. 2/3) -

Our journey through the ancient Roman Empire continues with a trip to the Roman Forum - constructed shortly after the completion of Caesar's Forum, it plays a vital role in the infancy of the Roman Empire - holding processions, elections, and trials - and also for being one of the most important meeting places in the city.

The Circus Maximus is continually improved over the years, and is given its final shape during the reign of Caesar in 46 BCE. The Romans loved chariot racing and for hundreds of years, this site was one of the premier racetracks around. Once fully developed, it became the model for other circuses all throughout the Roman Empire.

In 64 CE, much of Rome is devastated in the Great Fire of Rome. Six days of flames ravage the city, destroying many of the city's most prized monuments. The summer winds fanned the flames even more, causing roughly 70% of the city to be left in smouldering ruin.

After the Great Fire, much of the city is rebuilt - and couple new grand buildings are built as well. The Colosseum was the most impressive structure of them all, first opening back in 80 CE. The largest amphitheater ever built, it held gladiator fights, mock sea battles, and just about everything else imaginable.

Our last sight is The Pantheon - opened in 126 CE, it was one of the city's most important temples to worship the Roman Gods.

-korver

Note: For these Roman Empire updates (and others) - many of the special objects you see here like the buildings and people were models I downloaded from 3d warehouse. Stuff from the STEX and a few of my own creations were used also though. Here's a pic of about everything I exported - I even went so far to make soldier MMPs for these updates. I used 3dsmax to export them as BATs (models) for the game - I then turned them into various props and MMPs, they are just like anything else you would use.

---

Replies

art128: Thank you very much!

Akallan: Thanks for the kind words! I had to do a lot of research to make sure the battle scene was set up correctly, glad you liked it :thumbsup:

Tyberius06: Thanks! I haven't actually played it yet - but maybe I should considering all the comments ;)

Themistokles: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

feyss: Thanks for the nice comment! :)

kbieniu7: Thanks! I'm glad you like these historical updates, I have a few more planned as well later on ;)

Seaman: Thank for the nice words :thumbsup:

art128

Breathtaking update. The Circus Maximus overview is seriously one of the best SC4 shot ever made.

Props & Texture Catalog