• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Canal Addon Mod (CAN-AM)

Started by daeley, April 23, 2009, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbyW

The CAN-AM is possible for any canal system providing that there are lots for the ferry and freight terminals and also the central water tile points to the correct water. Having said that this will ONLY work with the next incarnation of NAM. This is from some testing I was doing last week:

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

serebii666

Aww, and I was just finishing Altomare... Just kidding (about the aww part) Can't wait for the release!  ;D
"If Kyle has 3 apples and is shorter that John who has 7 and if John is taller than Jenny who just graduated from Harvard, how old is Karen?"

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

tamorr

Now that's cool... I'll definately be waiting for that, and pick it up when it does come out. Great work done here. :thumbsup:
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

BarbyW

tamorr, if you are referring to the Peg canals, I'm afraid that they will not be released. That was just a test to see if they would actually work in CAN-AM. Peg's EULA prevents anyone from actually doing the modding to allow this to be made available to the public. This is a private lot and I have no intention of releasing it.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

tamorr

Oh ok... that's alright, I'm still interested in the CAN-AM as a whole. And definately awaiting that whether or not PEGs is compadible or not. For me it just means I would have a variety to choose from... That would be my packrat nature. Cause' I do like the SG and CAL canals.

If I ever figure the complicated stuff out, I just might make em' for my personal use as well. I respect that decision cause I am basically doing the same thing, only releasing things that are feasibly going along with PEGs EULA. For the moment I am work with his stuff, but will eventually get into others for release, as long as it is by the standard that I have a right to do so in accordance to what I use and referance.

Thank you for the concern though. It is always nice to what is coming and what isn't. Till then patiently awaiting and awing at the teasers and production. :)
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

RebaLynnTS

How hard would it be to make a version that has the boats at 15m's high? I ask because of a project I am doing called the "Raised River", based on the Water Bridge in Germany.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

daeley

well, I wanted to keep it a secret for now since it's still early development, but I'm working on a set of puzzle piece to work together with the CAN-AM, lwhich will look a bit like this (obviously this is only a half-canal ;))

I found the visual effect to be a bit better if they were higher than 15m though. In this picture they are at 24m (which is also available in the terrain raiser lots by the way).
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

mike3775

that will be sweet to use when available

great job daeley

Terring7

Great job everyone, you really now how to amaze us :)

By the way, i hope that somebody will create a more futuristic boat, like this...

;D ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

bob56

whoa!! Elevated Canals!!! However, I'm wondering what their purpose is in RL, they've got to be much more expensive.

I'm visualizing shops with a canal on top.... %wrd
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Nardo69

First: Great idea and great work!

@bob56: Easy Answer: Elevated canals are build to avoid locks which slow down traffic and are more expensive to maintain than a elevated canal.
Somewhere in East France there is even a canal tunnel that had been digged to avoid two or three dozen(!) locks ...

io_bg

Quote from: bob56 on June 02, 2009, 01:36:09 PMHowever, I'm wondering what their purpose is in RL, they've got to be much more expensive.
Maybe to cross valleys ;) A pic I found in the net with an elevated canal - click here
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

mike3775

I remember seeing a show on Discovery Channel a few years ago about a canal system that went elevated, then went underneath a major international airport(even had a stop for it at the airport) and how when it was built, no one thought it would be used much, but after 2 years, they were talking of expanding the system

RebaLynnTS

This a picture of the water bridge in germany . . .

And this is my version so far . . .

Becca

bob56

I stand corrected :)

So I'm assuming there will be slope transitions, for the valley purpose? This whole addon looks amazing, I can't wait for the release! I'm especially eying the transportation portion. These will finally be something working, not just eye-candy!!!

Great job! &apls
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: bob56 on June 02, 2009, 04:32:53 PM
So I'm assuming there will be slope transitions, for the valley purpose? This whole addon looks amazing, I can't wait for the release! I'm especially eying the transportation portion. These will finally be something working, not just eye-candy!!!

Can't speak for others, but mine will have a slope transition.
Becca

KoV Liberty

WOW. That water bridge is Cool!

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Nardo69

@RebaLynnTS: That piece sure looks good!

About slope transition: sloped channels aren't useful for water transport and serve usually only for drainage or irrigation as those heavy loaded transport barks aren't powerful enough to nake their way against a powerful stream. Because of this rivers have been regulated to elimnate raĆ¼pids (and to produce electricity).

For my taste the maximum allowed slope for a CAN-AM Channel should be the same as railways in the original BRF tunnel slope mod or less, for anything steeper there should be a / at least one lock(s).

BTW Somewhere in Brandenburg (Eastern Germany) there is a place where a kanal on a bridge goes across a railway line ...

RebaLynnTS

Nardo, I think you might misunderstand what is meant by slope transition (at least in the case of the water bridge). We are talking about the water bridge connecting to a ground canal on top of the slope. (See my thread for a picture).
Becca