• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural power lines

Started by willy88, August 20, 2007, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Supercity124: I've seen poles similar to those before.  As you said, they are subtransmission lines.  They are quite plentiful in small towns in my area.

Streetlight 725: It looks you already have some good help on one of the poles you posted.  I might try my hand at some of the other ones, though.

Maarten: Wow! ;D  You are a natural at power poles, if I do say so myself. &apls

Here's one more thing.  I feel like this piece is necessary to make the metal poles practical:

It's a slight-turn piece for the metal pole.  I will upload it soon have uploaded it.  While we're on the subject, I have made some observations about power poles.  In my state, the electric companies tend to treat power poles in the same manner as transportation authorities do with roads.  Suppose one of the smaller 33 / 66 kv lines is not enough.  Rather than tear down that line to build a new high-tension line, the electric company just builds the higher-capacity line next to the smaller one.  I'm sure it happens everywhere, but it's just something that I noticed.  Its similar to widening a road to an avenue, IMO.  This explains why I often have the two lines together in my pics.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Streetlight 725

The power poles in the game looks good.I can't wait for new ones. &apls :)

supercity124

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 12, 2008, 04:16:22 AM
You mean something like this?

Just need to render the poles (and that would take a loooooong time)

Since this electrical transmission tower is made on the BAT, I would like for it to be released on the LEX as a plopable power line.
Because this is a very realistic power line.
Cities will have tall buildings, and rural areas will have farms and power lines.

I AM YOUR LOCAL CITY PLANNER OF THE FUTURE

metarvo

I think Maarten would have to render it first, before it can be released.  This is a model that has not been rendered, according to the pic.  On top of that, I have heard that Maarten is very busy right now.  Things do take time, and I'm afraid this may be no exception.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

supercity124

metarvo, Here are some subtransmission power lines on power poles with hanging insulators,

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6109/cap0040hs4.png

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2029/cap0043tg5.png

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5393/cap0041rb9.png

You can make these power poles in the BAT.
Cities will have tall buildings, and rural areas will have farms and power lines.

threestooges

-supercity124: I see you are interested in finding some power poles for the game. I know fukuda has made some and are available on the STEX (just search for fukuda and you should find them pretty easy). However, if you want something different, I highly recommend that you look into learning to BAT. As metarvo mentioned, most BATters tend to be pretty busy, but don't let that stop you from trying it yourself. Take a look at Phillippbo's BAT tutorial at ST. It should provide you with all the information you need to get started. Also, If you have questions during the process, consider opening a thread to ask questions. BATters are busy but they tend to offer help and advice, as the rest of this community tends to.

Diggis

Supercity, I would suggest being more polite in requests.  Saying 'You can do this' isn't going to get anyone wanting to make your models for you.

MandelSoft

It looks like I had too much time to waste yesterday...

This pack is released on the STEX. Maybe I can get it on the LEX, but first I wait for some comments.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

metarvo

Very good, Maarten! ;D  I have just downloaded it, and I plan to put it to good use.  I have found that I can never have too many different power poles.  You have also done an outstanding job on the turns and the diagonals.  This gives me all the more reason to use this set.

&apls

By the way, supercity124, the tutorial threestooges linked to is a very good one.  It's the one that I used to learn how to BAT.  You should at least give it a try.  If you do, you will learn a valuable SC4 skill.

Streetlight 725

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 15, 2008, 06:30:30 AM
It looks like I had too much time to waste yesterday...

This pack is released on the STEX. Maybe I can get it on the LEX, but first I wait for some comments.

Best,
Maarten

That detail looks good.I am downloading it.Great job! &apls :thumbsup: :)

supercity124

metarvo, Here are some subtransmission power lines on power poles with hanging insulators,

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6109/cap0040hs4.png

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2029/cap0043tg5.png

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5393/cap0041rb9.png

metarvo, Please make these power poles with hanging insulators as subtransmission power lines. I would like to see them in Sim City 4.

I am ignoring threestooges suggestion.

Now that's just plain rude.  -Alex (Tarkus)

MandelSoft

That's not a way to make friends, Supercity124. Please, keep in mind that:
- we are already busy.
- we are not working for company. We are just hobbyists.
- we have a own thoughts and own will.
- if someone doesn't make it for you, serve yourself. That doesn't mean that we are not prepared to help, but constant requests is irritating.
- you shouldn't EVER ignore advice. It can be a solution to your problem.

I hope you've learned something from that.
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

metarvo

Teaser

The weather was good.  It was a perfect day for local small-airplane pilots to hone their skills.  As one pilot flew over this road, he saw these poles being constructed.  The wires had not yet been attached.

His good friend told him that he had heard about one of the poles from a another friend.  This pilot's closest friend recalls that the other friend showed him some pictures of the local electric behemoth's company's current construction projects.  To the pilot's closest friend, the straight metal power pole closely resembled a 220 kv pole that was in the first picture that he was shown.

rusummer1

Check out my SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/russmass

Streetlight 725

Power poles are getting more better.Nice power poles. &apls :)

Rodney99

metarvo! mrtnrln!  WOW! :o I think the metal frame powerpoles would look great next to a RHW or even through the highway median. Also with regard to the most recently created metal powerpole, somtimes in RL i see a large arm streetlight attached to it when placed next to a stretch of road.

metarvo

Thank you all for the compliments.  I have managed to find a Google Maps Street View that shows rural metal power poles running alongside a rural road.  I can access this view by going to Google Maps, typing "F.M. 51 & Private Rd. 2429," clicking the only choice that appears, and selecting "Street View."  This pylon is the one on which I based my first metal pole.  There is even one of the turning poles near this area.  I based my slight turn piece on this pole.  Since Street View seems to be more plentiful in urban areas, I consider this rural Street View to be a rare find.

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dedgren

metarvo, my friend- this is so great.  The things we are doing now, over five years after SC4 first came down the pike...

These will look great in the game, and the added variety adds just that touch of organized randomness that makes things so much closer to accurately depicting RL.

Fine job!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

metarvo

Everyone, watch out.  He's in the building!  We had better get to work here...JK. $%Grinno$%

The pleasure is mine, David.  In RL, power lines are hardly given a second glance.  However, Maarten and I have actually taken the time to observe what would usually be considered mundane.  Thank you for the very kind words.

Best wishes, David.  Keep up the good work.  (I know you will  :))

EDIT:

It seems like someone did heed the advice given above.  It turns out that this person was busy constructing 45-degree and 90-degree turns, for those times when a 33 / 66 kv line needs to have a drastic change in alignment.