• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Signage Piece Mod (SPM)--Now SCoPE (Signage and Cosmetic Piece Extension)

Started by Tarkus, April 06, 2008, 08:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

The Signage Piece Mod (SPM) is a new mod currently in development.  It consists of a series of simple 1x1 puzzle pieces for various networks, which have a Prop Families of signs attached via Type21-exemplar.  This allows users to control precisely where the signs appear, without some of the adverse effects associated with previous attempts at this sort of thing, which were generally done through Transit-Enabled Lots.

Because of the way in which the mod is structured, any user familiar with Prop Families can add their own custom signs to the SPM, without any transit-modding knowledge.  More advanced users who wish to place signs in different positions than those set up by the default T21s can create their own T21s, simply by copying the existing T21s and replacing the LotConfig lines with their own--all the other modding work is already done.

The mod has not been released but is in Alpha.  The current Alpha contains Orthogonal and Diagonal pieces for the following networks:
Road
Avenue
One-Way Road
RHW-2
RHW-4
Maxis Elevated Highway
Maxis Ground Highway
Rail

Diagonals and other networks will eventually be added.

Here are a few pics from the earliest stages of development.  Please note that the discoloration effect has been fixed (thanks to ebina).

(yes, that is a TLA-3 SPM piece, which will be released when the TLA mod comes out.)

It has been set up for LHD as well:

Several sets of speed limit signs are currently in the works for the SPM, including my own Oregon Speed Sign Set (pictured in the above images), as well as Euro/International, UK and Australian sets (also mine), and burgsabre87 is also contributing a standard US set.

Here's some pics of the other sets--these designs aren't final (nor are the Oregon ones), as I plan to adjust the scale on them some more.

Australian set

Euro/International set

-Alex (Tarkus)

thundercrack83

This is fantastic, Alex! I don't know how you do it, but you continue to come up with these projects that add to the game in ways I wouldn't have ever imagined!

I'll be looking forward to more progress, my friend! Great job, as always!

Dustin

DFire870

This. Is. Awesome!

I have always wanted to use the various road signs, but avoided them like the plague because they were either TE'd or they took up a tile on the side of the road. And we get another addition to our alphabet soup! :D

Great job, and I can't wait to see the future updates.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

CasperVg

Looks interesting, great work! Could this technique also be used for cable masts on top of railways?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

figui

this are great news!
love that euro/intl set.

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

mightygoose

aah here is the thread, you know my views on the scaling but apart from that great work
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

skyliner

Wow this is a great idea, this would add even more realistic details to our cities! I am wondering since it wasn't posted would these signs work also on elevated and ground highways too? I tend to use these quite often ;D

jplumbley

Should have called it Signage Piece Addon Mod... (SPAM)
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Andreas

Quote from: caspervg on April 06, 2008, 09:40:37 PM
Looks interesting, great work! Could this technique also be used for cable masts on top of railways?

Yes, that should be possible as well. :)
Andreas

XiahouDun

Quote from: jplumbley on April 07, 2008, 12:20:18 AM
Should have called it Signage Piece Addon Mod... (SPAM)
:D

This is a brilliant idea, my one suggestion would be to decrease the size just a little bit since they may end up looking out of place compared to the stop signs in game.

Question, on top of speed limits, is there any plans for additional signs such as school zones to come with the mod at release?

Either way, great work on this &apls Hopefully I didn't sound ungrateful, because I'm really looking forward to this :thumbsup:
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

bat

That's a great mod there! And looking forward to it... :)

Andreas

No lots involved - and that ugly 1x1 base texture that usually appears next to the lot is gone as well, thanks to the puzzle piece. :) The rail signal is a timed prop that can switch the signage over the day.
Andreas

SimNation

Tarkus

The mod looks great. The signs will deffinetaly replace the speed limit ones I have that werent transit enabled so they took up a actual building tile. But one thing...shouldnt the signs be closer to the road for the road one? I know this is still in development just thought I should say that. It looks like its not on the sidewalk area and would get in the way of any commerical or industrial zoning. Other then that..im looking forward to this.

Andreas

Those railroad signals look fantastic! They will go great with the electrified rail you made. Cant wait for those. Hope you make more rail stuff to add to the realistic look.

MandelSoft

Good idea  :thumbsup:. I've made something like it, but mine signs are placed beside the road.

By the way, European speed limit signs look more like this:

And one question: Are the values on the European signs in kph or mph?

Best,
MRTNRLN
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

Quote from: SimNation on April 07, 2008, 06:53:17 AM
Andreas

Those railroad signals look fantastic! They will go great with the electrified rail you made. Cant wait for those. Hope you make more rail stuff to add to the realistic look.

Well, I didn't make the rail catenaries, those were created by Kenworth - I only did the modding and upload to the LEX. Also, the signal prop was created by royal. He made hundreds (!) of them, all unreleased so far - but with this new technique, that might change. :)
Andreas

superhands

wow :o
did not expect australiana to be thought of so soon in this project. i like it.
so it's probbly possible to make road textures that have cross walks/ect -o yeah... puzzle pieces, forgot about that.

Andreas

Quote from: bighead99999 on April 07, 2008, 08:24:06 AM
so it's probbly possible to make road textures that have cross walks/ect -o yeah... puzzle pieces, forgot about that.

Yes, we thought about that as well. :)
Andreas

CasperVg

That looks great there, Andreas! As they are puzzle-pieces, they can use tab-rings aswell, I assume/hope.  %wrd
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube