• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starmanw402007

A Question to ask. When we are finally able to use this new Modd, will we be able to create bridges? I know probably a silly ? but thought I ask ok.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

ssc4k

i hoe we can but if we cant whast the difference between a center turn alne or not on a bridge???
btu tl7 i can understand... mabye it is possible to make a puzzle piece that will change what bridge is mad eor somehtign but this project is good enoguh wihtout it. nice work
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature and help him gain world domination.

nerdly_dood

There is no point in using a turning lane avenue with a bridge...juse seems like a really dumb thing to do.  It is always transitioned into either a divided avenue or a four lane road with opposing directions right next to each other, just separated by a double yellow line (or whatever it is in your country)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

ssc4k

except for a tl7? you cant jsut take two lanes away... mabye we can make it use all of the highway bridges and make them look slightly differnt for tl7? after all  they are 6 lanes and tl7-1 is 6 :P
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature and help him gain world domination.

DFire870

A four-lane bridge would be used for TLA-5, and a 6 lane bridge would be used for TLA-7. And they'll probably use the current avenue bridges as those would be easier to convert (I think).
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

jplumbley

Bridges will be interesting!  That is for darn sure.. In fact they may not even be possible, so dont expect bridges for these for a long time.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

skyjuice

Shadow Assassin

Bridges are possible. It means cheating a little to get them to do what you want. A TLA-7 should be able to squeeze into 2 tiles, since 1 tile can fit in three lanes. However, there may be slight problems with space for people to walk on the bridge...

JPlumbley, if we can convert a TLA-7 into say, a special avenue bridge with 3 lanes of traffic both ways (maybe we might have to add a new set of bridges, though). For the TLA-5, we can just convert into avenues. TLA-6 would use the same bridge as TLA7 does, since the textures would both be the same.

Is it possible to trigger certain bridges by using puzzle pieces or whatnot?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Flo8472

english by babelfish:
is there already a test version to download?

german:
gibt es derzeit schon eine Version zum testen als download?
Greetings Flo8472
SimCityMultiplayer.com - Your World of SimCity Multiplayer!

Tarkus

Flo8472:  Sorry, not yet.  The project is still in development.  Keep watching this thread for further updates, though.

German with some assistance from Babelfish:
Traurig, nicht schon.  Das Projekt ist noch in Entwicklung.  Halten Sie, dieses Gewinde für weitere Fortschritten aufzupassen, zwar. ;)

Regarding the bridges:   The way the bridge system in SC4 is setup, it would be impossible to make a 3-tile-wide bridge, which the TLA-7 and AVE-6 would need.  The limiting factor is the game's inability to draw two bridges, side-by-side on adjacent tiles (there must be at least one space between them).  If that limiting factor wasn't there, it would be possible, as there could be some workarounds to allow a proper bridge.

So the only solutions that are possible are the ones Shadow Assassin suggested, with a special Avenue bridge with 3-lanes-per-direction.  The other option would be to convert to one of the wider, separable RHWs (8S or 10) for the crossing, as there is a workaround to allow bridges for those networks.

Hope that answers some questions.

-Alex

ssc4k

how abouot transfering the tl7-6 into a highway first then drawing the bridge over? since tl7 doesnt need a center turning lane on a bridge :P this owuld be only 2 tiles and your isms would gety there a bit faster :P. wait do bridges count in commute time?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Tarkus

ssc4k, not a bad point.  It's possible to make a new bridge look like a 6-lane Avenue, but the capacity (and speed) would be higher.  A puzzle piece at the ends could hide all the Highway stubs and make a smooth transition from the bridge to a TLA-7 or AVE-6.  Nice thinking. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Andreas

Quote from: Tarkus on September 28, 2007, 02:38:45 PM
German with some assistance from Babelfish:
Traurig, nicht schon.  Das Projekt ist noch in Entwicklung.  Halten Sie, dieses Gewinde für weitere Fortschritten aufzupassen, zwar. ;)

LOL, the English-to-German translation is much worse than the other way round. ;)

@Flo: Falls Du nicht verstanden hast, as Tarkus meinte: Die Sachen sind noch in Arbeit, aber Du sollst dieses Thema im Auge behalten. ;)
Andreas

Tarkus

Quote from: Andreas on September 28, 2007, 03:11:56 PM
LOL, the English-to-German translation is much worse than the other way round. ;)

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. :D  Thanks for the better translation, Andreas. :)

And sorry for the bad translation, Flo. :-[

-Alex

Flo8472

QuoteFlo8472:  Sorry, not yet.  The project is still in development.  Keep watching this thread for further updates, though.
Yes i know, but i have seen this in some city journals.
And I thought it's a unofficial download available ^^

:)
Greetings Flo8472

Tarkus

Flo, what you've most likely seen is a texture mod by ryanb_sc4 (now burgsabre87), which replaces the Avenue textures with the exact textures used by the TLA.  That mod has been released (link), and there are quite a number of people using it.  Since it is just a texture replacement mod, the center turn lanes are not functional.  That's what the TLA project here is intended to fix.

Hope that answers your question. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

thundercrack83

Whoa! I didn't know the textures were released! Thanks for pointing that out, Alex! Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go download them...

Flo8472

@Tarkus
thx
^^ i understand. Yes, its really better with function.

;D I'm wait to the first Beta of TLA
Greetings Flo8472

Ryan B.

Quote from: thundercrack83 on September 29, 2007, 10:03:01 AM
Whoa! I didn't know the textures were released! Thanks for pointing that out, Alex! Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go download them...
I'd like to point out at this time that the textures I made (that are released) do NOT have the following:

Diagonals, avenue x road / street / one-way road / transition textures.  Those will be coming with the TLAs.  :)