• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zakuten

You see that setup even here in Chicago in some old warehouse districts, and I know downtown Oakland, CA has the same thing, as well as a passenger train in Michigan City, Indiana-- though that's being removed, I think.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Terring7

In a Haljackey's video i notice road with green median. It's the AVE-2, right? This is, as we say in Greece, butter to my bread (âïýôõñï óôï øùìß ìïõ) :thumbsup:

Take your time my friends, you really know how to make great stuff :) &apls :) &apls :) &apls

Quote from: TJ1 on March 19, 2010, 04:59:45 PM

Great! Can we have them? ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

j-dub

That type of railway is not for the NWM. The NWM will not be using this concept of trains or trams right now. Not that it will, but the NWM is more of a dragged network, so you do not have to be constantly plopping puzzle pieces.

Previously, in other places of the forums, we have discussed the past existence of heavy rail roads that were in the middle of US roads before and shown video proof of it. However, what was big in the 20th Century is not so favorable in this century, as such there hardly are very, very limited heavy rail roads in US roads. You know having a giant, speedy train in the middle of the road is dangerous when sharing with car traffic, let alone crossing regular rail roads.

I can confirm the only way you can get heavy trains into avenues or in/on road is the Tram puzzle pieces currently with the NAM so the heavy train has to use Tram/GLR pieces, but will not use it for traffic simulation. How? You have to connect heavy rail to light rail using puzzle pieces that the train then rides on the tram ways. That will need demonstration in a different place, some other time, later.

Tarkus

Those "pieces" are also, if I'm not mistaken, just Photoshop jobs from 5-6 years ago that were originally posted in one of the old NAM threads at ST.  Neither ever actually existed to the best of my knowledge.

Quote from: Terring7 on March 21, 2010, 11:30:22 AM
In a Haljackey's video i notice road with green median. It's the AVE-2, right? This is, as we say in Greece, butter to my bread (âïýôõñï óôï øùìß ìïõ) :thumbsup:

Yes, that is indeed an AVE-2. :)

-Alex

mightygoose

Quote from: Tarkus on March 21, 2010, 09:37:34 PM
Those "pieces" are also, if I'm not mistaken, just Photoshop jobs from 5-6 years ago that were originally posted in one of the old NAM threads at ST.  Neither ever actually existed to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, that is indeed an AVE-2. :)

-Alex

entirely correct and as far as i am aware they were initial ideas that led to the GLR's existence anyway....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

deathtopumpkins

And, the GLR is already pathed to carry heavy trains too. Thus a setup like this works perfectly well to simulate street running:
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

daeley

DTP, are you sure that works? From my experience, adding paths to a network is -not- sufficient to make it work for that traffic type. For example, the above network in your pic is GLR/Road, so the simulator sees it as both el-rail and road. Since the speed of heavy trains is 0 on both networks, I don't think you'll get any traffic through. It will work for UDI, but that's it.

now, there *IS* a way around it, but that would require changing all the GLR pieces...

1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Wilfried

El train speed is 0 on roads, too. Just a change of the networks from el train/road to normal rail/road would be needed.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: daeley on March 23, 2010, 01:25:02 AM
DTP, are you sure that works? From my experience, adding paths to a network is -not- sufficient to make it work for that traffic type. For example, the above network in your pic is GLR/Road, so the simulator sees it as both el-rail and road. Since the speed of heavy trains is 0 on both networks, I don't think you'll get any traffic through. It will work for UDI, but that's it.

now, there *IS* a way around it, but that would require changing all the GLR pieces...

No, I'm not sure it works for carrying actual traffic. I've only ever tested it with UDI. You're probably right.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

TJ1

Would this be narrow MAVE-4 or NMAVE-4?  narrow MAVE's they exist. ;D

Tarkus

Quote from: TJ1 on March 24, 2010, 04:36:34 PM
Would this be narrow MAVE-4 or NMAVE-4?  narrow MAVE's they exist. ;D

There is indeed going to be a single-tile NMAVE-4 at some point.  However, it will not be part of Release 1.

-Alex

strucka

So how will this work? Will you have a starter piece like the one on the last picture of ''NMAVE-4'' and then you will drag out of that or something entirely different?
Some time ago there was a debate of HOV lane's. Lanes that are inside a system, for instance a road with NMAVE-4 like lanes, but instead of outer two you'd have HOV lanes with yellow lines separating them from the others. Can this be implemented with this new system? Oh and not to forget with the multiple lane OWR's will we be getting any new wider and bigger Roundabouts? That sure would be nice, because the current 2 lane rbt is usable to some degree, but in one case i had a 20000 cars/16000buses going thru one small rbt and it looked silly.

TJ1

I apologize if that im off topic :-[ but I finaly found out how to do railroad street running(the 2nd pic is mine). Plus this would be great for TLA-5 Railroad crossing ;). And by the way does anybody know where I can find these railroad crossings?

zakuten

I'd love to get that street-running mod from you~~! Please, disclose your secret!  &apls
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Tarkus

Quote from: strucka on March 25, 2010, 02:10:34 AM
So how will this work? Will you have a starter piece like the one on the last picture of ''NMAVE-4'' and then you will drag out of that or something entirely different?

That's basically it--all the NWM networks will work along similar lines.

Some time ago there was a debate of HOV lane's. Lanes that are inside a system, for instance a road with NMAVE-4 like lanes, but instead of outer two you'd have HOV lanes with yellow lines separating them from the others. Can this be implemented with this new system?

No, HOV lanes will not be implemented as part of the NWM.  There's no way to make them functional, and they're also extremely uncommon on surface networks.

Oh and not to forget with the multiple lane OWR's will we be getting any new wider and bigger Roundabouts? That sure would be nice, because the current 2 lane rbt is usable to some degree, but in one case i had a 20000 cars/16000buses going thru one small rbt and it looked silly.

The possibility of more roundabout options has been under consideration for awhile.  However, the implementation details would still need to be worked out, and with as many projects as there are going on right now, it'll probably be awhile before we get back to that. 

Quote from: TJ1 on March 25, 2010, 07:47:07 AM
Plus this would be great for TLA-5 Railroad crossing ;). And by the way does anybody know where I can find these railroad crossings?

To the best of my knowledge, nowhere.  The first one is a 4-year-old pic--the file was never released and to the best of my knowledge, the author no longer has the file.  The second I've never seen before.

Railroad crossing gates are also a low priority at this stage in development, and we're handling them much the same as we're dealing with traffic signals and streetlights, as described in NWM FAQ Item #12.

-Alex

j-dub

Never, saw this before, but I know this is the old wig wag RxR replacement.

Those rail road lights on that early TLA-5/RHW textured network almost are the ones from that replacement mod, the only difference is the final scaling of it, and that this early version lacks the crossing gate. I know, because I have the mod that replaces the avenue wig wag crossing lights for this very style. I just can not for the life of it remember where.

kassarc16

If you could dig that out, j-dub, that'd be awesome. I've always wanted the overhead lights for my avenues.

zakuten

I've got one too, but strangely, mine only does it on diagonal/ortho crossings, and uses a static prop that doesn't look as nice as the one in that pic...

TJ1

Once again I still aplogize that im off topic :'(.I love and cant wait for the NWM:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :
Quote from: Tarkus on March 25, 2010, 04:03:02 PM
The second I've never seen before.
-Alex

Thats because the second one is mine I figured it out by my self, its true. And its very easy to do, ()stsfd()
its similar to what deathtopumkins showed before. All you have to do is grab any NAM rail piece(not FARR or STR) plop it where ever and then drag rail one tile out from the one side stub that you'll will use the glr in road, avenue etc.. then drag road over the tile next to the rail puzzle piece then buldoze the ral stub next to the rail road crossing then you wil have no rail sub on that side of the puzzle piece then you can drag or plop any glr puzzle piece to the end of the rail puzzle piece that haze no stub then you got it you then should have some thing like this.You can see where they connect and I would love railroad crossings for this :D.

or this,