• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

To add my thoughts into the mix, I think I would definitely still use a 4-lane road on 1 tile even if it had the same capacity as a 2-lane road. Why? Because (I've been having long chats about this with b22rian lately) I am one of those SC4 players who only mildly cares about what the simulation engine considers the capacity of a network. Despite it having adverse effects on my cities if I disregard the capacity of a network, I still choose to upgrade roads when I think they need it, based off of my visual observations of traffic jams, and from comparing the number of commuters using a network to numbers of commuters using a similar RL network per hour (I believe Alex has mentioned the correlation between the number of SC4 commuters and the number of vehicles using a road per hour in RL before). Thus I generally disregard the traffic data view (with traffic simulator A Easy it's almost always completely green anyway) and it's related statistics, and rely on my own observations instead. And since I don't usually regard the literal capacity of a network, to me it would feel like the network in question had a larger capacity than a 2-lane road simply because it was wider, meaning that if in one of my cities I had a 2-lane road that I thought looked congested, I might upgrade it to a 4-lane, 1-tile road because in my mind it had a higher capacity.  :P

As to the lack of a sidewalk... meh. I don't really care. &mmm Many roads around here don't have sidewalks even in developed areas anyway.

This question might be more appropriate on the T-RAM thread, but do the T-RAM pieces have a higher capacity than a standard road so that the added light-rail traffic does not overload the capacity? If not, doesn't that seem like a bad idea to anybody else? And if so, couldn't the 4-lane road use the T-RAM's capacity, or oh, no, wait, it would be an override of the road network, right? Then in that case the capacity would be the same, wouldn't it?  :(

OK, now excuse my rambling, and I am anxiously awaiting Alex returning to work on this after the public release of RHW 3.0.

Oh, and welcome to page 51 and the 4-digit posts.

-DTP
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

j-dub

Well with any network, and any simulator, we all know the capacity differs, but there are limits as well. All I know is, since I have used the particular mentioned concept network, is that there is a behavior difference with the simulator, which is requiring car traffic to use both lanes when it clogs in the three digit numbers, but again the glr in road, is a different network then a road that has been given extra lane use.

genemc777

Is it possible to create reversible lanes? That would help with a highway like if it only has 3 lanes, you can have the 2 middle lanes switch directions for rush hour times

j-dub

No. This is due to the game's limitation. However, this isn't what you want, but the middle lane could always be pathed two directions at the same time, and T21ed timed props could be made to simulate this, but you would have cars moving in and out of each other at the same time, during heavy traffic, and this is likely not going to happen soon.

The other thing is the NWM is more a local network project, which goes the other direction compared to the Rural Highway project. However, even though this picture below was proposed for the NWM, and looks like it could be a highway...

The same concept actually ended up being permanently another part of the RHW.

Tarkus

genemc777, I can confirm j-dub's answer.  It's technically not possible, since there's no way we can produce "timed paths", unfortunately, though some sort of "eyecandy" setup that looks like reversible lanes is possible.

That AVE-6 proposal, which did kind of get "recycled" as the RHW-6C in the upcoming RHW Version 3.0 release, though, will eventually make its way into the NWM as well, as originally planned.

I can also assure you all that I am indeed going to be coming back to this project after the release of RHW Version 3.0 (and in fact, I might have even kinda already started again . . . :D).

-Alex (Tarkus)

remanh

Does that mean that the RHW release is closer than "iminent?" ::)

Yoder7652

Quote from: Tarkus on January 11, 2009, 05:52:49 PM
(and in fact, I might have even kinda already started again . . . :D).

Fantastic...this is an important project...new and improved avenues are sorely needed.

kings_niners

i totally agree, wider roads and avenues are more important to me than the rhw version 3 but i just think of all the puzzle pieces and it makes me cringe. although i must say i can't wait for that 5 lane oneway rd ;D
good job alex your hard work is much appreciated :)

j-dub

KN, its the NWM is not implemented through puzzle pieces, but starter pieces for Draggable networks, as is the RHW as well.

Aha! I just spotted this project had a logo change this month.

gn_leugim

Quote from: j-dub on January 12, 2009, 12:38:50 PM
Aha! I just spotted this project had a logo change this month.

I've just notice that only now  :D nice ;)

sourdeaux

I salute Tarkus decision to retake this significantly important job.  :party: In fact, I believe everyone round here  ()meeting() has been looking forward to this longly awaited event eagerly. I hope we'll have new images of the advancements for the masses to please our eyes very soon!! ;D
Sourdeaux

gn_leugim

and bless you Tarkus, for taking your time to make this..  &scl() waiting on this one for long ;)

Pat

Hey Alex I love the new overview post there wow!!! The logo is stunning and also good to hear you are plucking away at NWM again  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

remanh

Tarkus, its great that you're back on the NWM (actively working on it).  Hopefully this means RHW will be out any time now.  Could you please include some photos of the MAVE in the stickied post?

kings_niners

i only meant that it would be very time consuming for alex to make all the different pieces that it would need in order to coexist with the rhw project

girlfromverona

I am ashamed to say that, although I was vaguely aware of this project a while back, I had completely forgotten about it. I can't get over how much progress has been made since I last looked at this thread! This is going to be another game-changing addition to SC4. Well done to all involved!  :thumbsup:

darraghf

If I'm not mistaken, you have a new logo there. Looks good.

I personally can't wait for the mave. It will lok so much more realistic
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

LE0

So I guess this is next after the RHW release ;)

What NWM networks will be able to go diagonally or have bridges?
Leoland coming Spring 2009

j-dub

The AVE-3 can go diagonal, but there are no paths in it yet, and its not clear if diagonal intersections with turn lanes are something that can be done so far. The TLA-5 was on Alex's master plan to go diagonal, but its road based and not avenue based, and since they have to be dragged diagonal side by side, you can guess how much modding work that is. Whether that can do diagonal intersections with turn lanes is another story. 

vinlabsc3k

@ Tarkus (aka Alex  :P),
I know you like refurbish the game with new features, but the TLA-x is dangerous road :o. I know you live in Oregon  $%#Ninj2, but even in USA they are changing this type of road with roundabouts or bound turning lanes (turn-arounds?) (i hope u can understand my bad english  &ops).

The AVE-x, MAVE n OWR-x is a good idea.

@ MAVE Devs: Can u make a 6 lane version?

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!