• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

That looks more like the RHW, and that actually can end like that, without the loop.

XL2007

Here's something that's been on my mind for a while concerning NWM:

Intersections.

How are you doing on that front?  I would LOVE to see some screenshots of NWM intersections.

SamJam

Quote from: BourneID on October 15, 2008, 08:59:37 PM
...at a future date that highway my need to be extended....so in undeveloped areas they tend to run almost to a dead end...

That idea should probably be in the RHW thread, but..... nice suggestion!! Especially for people who actually do leave space available in the game.

j-dub

Quote from: XL2007Intersections

How are you doing on that front?  I would LOVE to see some screenshots of NWM intersections.

For the most part, this NWM won't need you to have more space like the RHW does in some cases. I would love to have some screenshots to be displayed here, but I would need permission to show you some more. Pretty much, the intersections pictured in earlier developement already covered it, as well as appearances in Alex's Tarkasian CJ. You will find NWM intersections in action in there. So I guess I'll paint a picture here with words. I can tell you that avenuexroad will have turn lanes, but so far you will need to convert to a TLA-3 for that, and I don't believe neither streetlights on the sides, or signals for roadxavenue crossings are planned for whenever it will be finished/released. Heres the major change to everyone's intersection. A new road turning lane plugin mentioned a long time ago that is required for this, right now means having to redraw every road intersection, if you still want to keep your left turn lanes, unless a legacy is made. Again, that turn lane plugin may not have signals on it by the time it is finished. However, the TLA-3 on the other hand already actually had signals taken care of it for the T's and X's. Its pictured a while back, on top of every page. If it is released that way, without signals on the new road turn lane plugin we could have a choice to have signals on turn lanes or not, because the TLA-3 can replace your turn lanes with a traffic light instead. I admit, I like how some turn lanes don't have signals, and some do, for realistic purposes. Wether if that will be the case if the mod ever is ready, may or may not be the case. Right now, all the intersections planned for whenever the first one comes out have single turn lanes. You definately are going to learn how to take apart avenues, and drag roads from an avenue on each side to convert to TLA-5. 

Ryan B.

Just some of the things you're gonna be able to do with the NWM . . . ;)

DISCLAIMER:  The showing of these pictures does not indicate in any way the closness of a NWM release.

nerdly_dood

It has been quite a while since a NWM update, hasn't it? At least there's SOMETHING to keep s interested! :D

I await another update... (but since NAM team emphasis is currently on RHW, that's what mine is on too)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

un1

Those picture are amazing!  :o :o

Now how much longer until more? ...

-un1

metarvo

I'm content with the pictures for now.  The release can wait, at least until RHW v.21 is released. :D
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

SamJam

Quote from: burgsabre87 on October 28, 2008, 06:56:02 PM
Just some of the things you're gonna be able to do with the NWM . . . ;)

I officially need a change of underwear... looks awesome so far!!! At this rate the original game won't even be recognizable!

Monorail Master

Quote from: SamJam on October 29, 2008, 12:28:21 PM
I officially need a change of underwear... looks awesome so far!!! At this rate the original game won't even be recognizable!

EEEWWWWWWW!!!! YUCK!  ()sick() ()sick() ()sick() ()sick() THAT'S JUST NASTY! Well, I can't wait for it to be released! Will there be a part for AVE-2 with 1 track glr?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

jmdude1

great work here! nice to see some more updates. keep us posted.  :thumbsup:

SamJam

Quote from: Monorail Master on October 29, 2008, 01:29:56 PM
EEEWWWWWWW!!!! YUCK! THAT'S JUST NASTY!

What? No, you've got me all wrong... I change my underwear for good luck every time I see new screenshots. Sort of a reverse-karma.

The GLR track in the AVE-2 is a cool idea but wouldn't that be just a weeeeee bit tight?

Personally I'm still waiting to see a one-tile wide orthogonal avenue for those oh-so-cramped downtown areas.  &mmm

zakuten

Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

j-dub

Well, the glr/tram in road, which really is glr in ave-2, was already being worked on, but I don't think its going to be part of this.

SamJam

Quote from: zakuten on October 30, 2008, 01:41:58 PM
...That would seem even tighter...

I've seen a one-tile thick 4-laner than someone did a while back... "ghetto road" or something like that. The project didn't go anywhere but it worked visually. You can do away with the sidewalks and carry the road all the way to the edge because 99% of the lots out there don't go right to the curb (so in a sense they have their own sidewalks). The lanes themselves were about at wide as a typical car model in the game. So yes, it was tight, but all RL large cities have them somewhere. The only issue, I suppose, would be pedestrian traffic.

If not 4-laners on one tile, why not roads with car-width parking lanes and thin sidewalks? Just brainstorming. *shrug*

nerdly_dood

Also if you want pedestrian traffic on such a one-tile RD-4 with no sidewalk, you could use ped-mall tiles for that area on one side. But residential growth would be restricted on that side of the road, so it would be necessary to find a way around that.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

Using the street width, it is possible to have 4 lanes with sidewalks on 1 tile, you take the grass, and turn it into lanes but it is extremely narrow. I have this type of thing happen with JRJ's street set with cars in parking bays, along with another mod that makes an Austrailian white line down the middle of the street, that sometimes gives me the effect of at least a wider network. So if you want some wider streets, and can do without the grass in half the places, with sidewalks the same size, you want those two mods. Don't know where I dug them up.  Since the one tile is too narrow, thats why the planned MAVE would be 2 tiles wide. It also would blend into the other Avenues better. Now heres the thing about the TLA-3, if you notice in the picture Burgsabre posted, you see how the sidewalk is in comparison to the street there?

SamJam

The street/parking bay idea sounds nice but not really what I was getting at... I'm talking major thoroughfares that are, as you say, extremely narrow. An 'avenue' for game naming purposes, but crunched into one tile. Every major city on Earth probably has a few somewhere. Of course they could only be orthogonal in the game but with lanes that narrow you would have to drive in a straight line anyway, LOL. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to the MAVE (very much so actually) but it still resembles something you might see in the 'burbs with no driveway access and subdivisions on each side, not something you'd see in a dense downtown environment. Assuming the 2x1 lane orthogonal road is still on the table, I'm guessing that's as close as we'd get for one tile. We could all sit here for the entire day listing things we want to see in the game but probably never will... the NWM is going to open a lot of doors for us and I'm still very thankful for that!  ()stsfd()

metarvo

Even so, it would be nice for some of the networks to be available diagonally.  At least the TLA-3, ARD-3, and OWR-3.  However, it should be noted that I'm not making requests.  I'll take whatever Alex throws at me when the NWM is released.  :D :D  We do need to get through the RHW v.21, though...
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

j-dub

Its on the table, but I don't know if the MAVE will come out with this NWM, first-hand. There are real four lane roads out there, and trust me, ones that are side by side, and having your dog's head out the window is not safe, because two cars can't even fit next to each other in real life, but the MAVE is designed to fit in with the avenues, and TLA-5. Thats why I have my doubts for a single avenue tile getting made, thats not on the drawing board. I myself probably would use that, but for that to work, it would have to be street pathed narrow to allow the extra lanes, and fit the sidewalks. I base those measurements off of the street mods, I mentioned before. The closest thing to a single tile avenue, is the SLR, which is one tile, but you have 2 through lanes on one side. As for the SLR, I don't even know if that can have a sidewalk. The idea was to build it through real hilly areas, so you could have two lanes climbing up the slope. Now diagonals. It is possible for turning lanes on diagonal tiles, but wether if it will be done for avenues (TLA-5) is beyond me.