• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Zaphods CJ Bats

Started by Zaphod, February 24, 2007, 12:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphod

Ive decided to make bats for my cj

Here is an early shot of some houses for the city of Carra. While we've all seen similiar structures, these are meant to be 'Carra' style, what I mean by that is they are from my own imagination. Im not using any pictures to make them.

I am going to try and make a bunch of different textured and lotted versions of this model, as well as some with minor variations to the model. This way I can build entire sections of town out of them.   

These are mainly for my own use, doing sandbox city buildg, so they will be plops with no effects.

Later though I'll make some modded versions and release them.

PS: Anyone know where I can find a decent free model of a dirt bike? I need some junk to put around these houses, and thats one thing I dont know if I can model
War Kittens !?

cameron1991

Hey great house! The basic construction makes it look like a classic New Zealand holiday home!  &apls &apls &apls &apls

bat

fantastic house! great work! :thumbsup: &apls

kwakelaar

So far so good, this is quite a nice beginning of a bat.
One small points though: The staircase would most likely collapse the way you have made it, there is no beam supporting the steps. But I like the way you have made the balcony.

Couchpotato

Very nice.  They look like beach homes.   The textures are good and just need some windows, roof stuff and stair support. 

I have a Moped if that will do?

Zaphod

cameron1991: You know it is pretty funny how these are turning out to look like holiday/beach homes..the city they are meant for definetely isnt warm and sunny.

But that gives me some ideas, and now I have a nice wood deck texture to do stuff with. next time I'll work on a side project of maybe 1 story beach houses on pilings with a wraparound wooden deck.

bat :Thanks for your nice comment

kwakelaar: Thanks. I did sort of beef up the stairs by adding a beam below them, but it doesnt show well. Do you mean like a leg running vertically holding the legs up?

Couchpotato: I have been having a hard time with the roof junk. I added a basic vent with a cover, but thats all I could think of. I dont want to affix any antennas or anything since later I want to make a pole prop with sorts of tv and dishes on it, that way some houses can have sattelite, and other can have cable, or rabbit ear tv, or maybe there's a amatuer radio buff in the neighborhood...

As for the moped, sure, why not. The reason though why I wanted a dirt bike was that it went along with the cj's storyline. I'll keep hunting and then if I still cant find anything maybe a moped would be alright.

Anyways, the Carra houses are coming along. Ive gotten 4 variations with different textures. I think after these are done, I'll make a second version without the front deck and instead have a stairway along the side. I just noticed an unsightly texture issue on the sides where it goes from dark to light towards the bottom, that needs to be fixed. Im sure theres a crapload more stuff wrong with them, so tommorow I'll spend some time with them

Here's the back. The texture tiling and stretching on the back siding and concrete block looks horrible and needs to be fixed, but i dont feel like doing that tonight. How's the back door? Do you guys think it needs some sort of canopy? also, should there be another step down? Also, I was thinking of some sort of light that would look good at night, what do you think?

Anyways, see you guys tommorow, I need to get some city building in before I go to bed
War Kittens !?

kwakelaar

I have no problem seeing these in a Scandinavian small town. I like how they are turning out, very nice. :thumbsup:
If these are made for a cold climate I would not use an airco attached to the windows but add a chimeny to the roof.

As these are wooden houses I would add bargeboards and facia (boards?) along the edges of the roof.
You also might consider choosing colors that will contrast a bit more for your walls and window/doorframes.

For the bike, you don't want to use a prop? I think Deadwoods have some props of bikes.

JBSimio

These are shaping up nicely, Zaphod.   :thumbsup:  You asked about the back door, but I think it looks fine as it is.  I agree with Kwakelaar that a chimney or maybe a couple attic vents would help break up the roof a little bit.

Deadwood's Mega Prop Pack does have bicycle props in it, but I can't remember if they are single bikes or all in groups.  I have a pretty simple bike model that I can send you.  I used it on my rowhomes.  It's pretty basic, but it's also fairly small, so maybe it will serve your purpose.  Let me know how to get it to you and I'll send it your way.  (Also let me know if you want the textures to go with it, please.)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

bat

Wonderful buildings you have made there! Great textures! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Fine work. The AC window units are an especially nice touch.

jacqulina

excellent work very nice detail

rooker1

Wow, looks like a very good start to me.  I will be back to see the progress. &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Zaphod

Everyone: Thanks for your compliments
JBSimio: sure, I could use it, or I guess I could use deadwood's bikes.

Here is what's pretty much the final version. They are close enough to what I wanted them to look like, but If you guys have anything else to say please i could probably use it.

After I export different texture versions I need to make a handful of props as well 2 lot textures to go with it(i guess i need to request a range now?)

So anyways, here's what ive come up with:

War Kittens !?

Naryanna

Hi!
This is the first time I looked in your thread. Interesting building you have comed up. I like the look of it.

I very much like the walls textures but I dont know about the roof... What if you would try to make it a bit more dark-brownish? (you dont have to listen to me, since this is your bat and looking lovely as it is ; ).

I know that I would most definetly find a great use of this houses. If you inteend to release later on the growable version will you add plopable also?

jestarr

These are looking better and better.  I agree with Marcszar though.  The eaves are a little too close to the walls.  If you move them about .3 or .4 from the wall and set the facia boards in .1 from the edge of the roof, it'll look just about right, from a game perspective.

kwakelaar

This is starting to look excellent, I like the chimeny and the balconies and stairs at the back of the building. I would also say you need to add a overhang for your roof but other than that it is great work.

joelevan

Yeah...I'm actually surprised at how much the chimney adds to the project. Very nice detail.

Joel

Cali

fist time i saw them, and i must say BRAVO &apls &apls
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Zaphod

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, they made a HUGE improvement:

So, have any more ideas to make these better? or should I get to making alternate versions/ nightlighting?
War Kittens !?

nofunk

Hey, I didn't know you BATed...

These are looking great! Very interesting design and really good texture work! I can't wait to see more.