• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Getting the custom content to work

Started by final_transit, January 16, 2010, 08:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

final_transit

Hello, sorry if I sound ignorant but I couldn't figure this out even after spending hours looking. I got the NAM working nicely but I can't get the BSC props/textures to work at all. This is what I am doing:

I downloaded a zip file, say "SG_Install_MegaProps01.zip" and installed the .dat file it to my Documents/Simcity4/Plugins/BSC/BSCProps/ folder. The readme has no useful information, and doesn't say anything about dependencies either. Its a 14 MB dat file so I presume the dependencies are included.

Similarly, I also downloaded the "SG_Install_BSC FarmFields SG Vol01.zip" and the dependency "BSC Texture MEGA Pack.zip" to the plugins folder.

Am I supposed to see options for different types of farms, trees, dirt paths, grass etc... in the menus? Because I don't, and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have no idea if these files are growables or plopables.

All I want is to have different kinds of farms and trees and if that works we can think of different buildings.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this sounds dumb...

[Mac OSX, Simcity4+RH]

xxdita

Welcome to SC4D, and the world of Custom Content, final_transit.

There are a few types of files for SC4. Building models, prop models, textures, lots, and mods (like the NAM).

The model files and textures can are brought into the game by Lots, as these are the files that tell the game what to put where, and what it's supposed to do. As such, the models (often Mega Props, Mega Packs, batprops, etc) and the Texture Packs are dependencies for the lots.

Farm fields are dependencies for Agricultural lots.

So the best thing to start downloading is a set of Lots. The ReadMe included will give a list of the dependencies required.

If you have any other questions, don't be shy.

final_transit

Ah, Thanks xxdita! It helped :) ... (I also had a 'duh' moment.) :D

Complete

Sorry to hijack your thread, but my question is on how to get the custom content to work.

I have downloaded the tesco commercial lot and the B&Q commercial lot but I cannot find them in my game. I downloaded the walmart commercial lot and that is in my game fine under landmarks. Does anyone have this and know where it is located in the game? I am sure I have the dependencies, the B&Q one says there is no dependencies.

Can anyone help please?

Diggis

Many of these lots may only be growable, the readme should tell you.  This means they will only appear on zoned areas, in this case commercial.  The Walmart obviously contains a landmark Lot too, a common technique (that i personally don't like...but thats just me ;) ) but not all creators do this.

Complete

So i just place Commercial medium zones as I usually do and the tesco's will just grow? Well I haven't seen it in my game yet. What if it never appears? I thought I would just be able to plop it there.

thingfishs

You can use the extra cheats.dll to plop any building, growable or otherwise: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2261

Also which Tesco are you using?, there are various ones available. Simgoober has a grow & plop one available individually here: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=3645 or presumably part of one of his updated commercial packs on the LEX (unfortunately on the LEX you can't just search for the individual components)