• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Changing Lot menu names with tool

Started by djvandrake, July 25, 2009, 11:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djvandrake

Greetings,

Firstly, I looked and looked for a FAQ about this tool, but didn't find one.  If there is one and I missed it then please accept my apologies for the new thread and I hope this is in the right place.  (I hear I'm new).

I'd like to be able to change the name of a custom lot that I create as it appears in game in teh parks menu.  I think there's a way to do it with the SC4 tool, but I can't find where or how.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Is it the exemplar name or a name I have to edit somewhere else?

Thanks,
DJ

beutelschlurf

moin djvandrake,

you are right, but actually it's the item_name, tell me if you need help for the full process!  :thumbsup:

b_schlurf

Andreas

First of all, you should check under which name the lot in question appears in your menu at the moment. Exit the game and open the lot file with SC4Tool's Exemplar Editor. There are two ways to add names and descriptions to a lot, one is creating LTEXT files for them (this is the preferred method, since you can make a lot multilingual), and another is using "Item Name" and "Item Description" properties in the building exemplar file (this is how the Plugin Manager adds names and descriptions). The Exemplar Editor gives you the ability to change both.

If you cannot find either of them, the easiest way to add a name and description is using LEProp. Simply open your lot in this program, enter the appropriate text, hit "Apply" and then "Save DAT". There's a slight bug in LEProp that sometimes prevents adding both the name and description in one step, so open the lot, add the name as described, exit the program, start it again, and repeat the process with the other text.
Andreas

Swamper77

Keep in mind that if you use the "Item Name" property and change the name of the Lot in your city, the new name is carried over to all instances of the Lot in your current city and the menu.

It's best to use LTEXT files to name Lots, as the Lots won't exhibit this behavior if you rename one of them in your city.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

djvandrake

Thank you very much for the help. Much appreciated.  I was able to change the name in Ilive reader and it updated on my menu.  I'm still getting used to the reader though....

Thanks again for your time.  :)