• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4Tool Compatibility with Vista

Started by Rayden, April 28, 2007, 01:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superhands

vista over here. solved the major issue, but now ive found the texture editor doesnt show any textures. just a background. the explore folders work on the left side but when u click on them they dont display anything

Shadow Assassin

Well, as for Vista's Aero Mode, Vista automatically changes the theme to Vista Basic [which works much better]... and once SC4Tool is shut down, Vista Aero comes back on.

It works, but it still refuses to load my textures...
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Shadow Assassin

Is there any chance of a SC4Tool update to make it fully compatible with Vista?
New Horizons Productions

Andreas

Don't count on it. simrolle got very busy with RL after the release of SC4Tool, and unfortunately, his development software (which he has to use for his RL projects as well) received an upgrade later which caused some incompatibilities with the old code. So without major reworking, it's not possible to fix the remaining bugs and compatibility issues.

If SC4Tool refuses to work properly with Vista, is there any chance that you could do a separate WinXP installation on your system? I usually have a second Windows installation on my D:\ partition, so everytimes my main installation is not working anymore, or if I want to test some delicate stuff, I use my second installation.
Andreas

Shadow Assassin

Unfortunately, no, I can't, seeing as I don't have any more legal copies of WinXP [the last legal copy I have is on my desktop at the moment... maybe I could use that, except that well, it definitely needs cleaning out].
New Horizons Productions

SimFox

I have found new compatibility issue with Vista, or at least that what i think it is.
I have been puzzled by the fact that SC4Tool's dependency scanner wouldn't detect all the dependencies that were in my ...Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder.

After taking a bit more detailed and analytical look at that, I've noticed that only things in Program Files location of SMCity4 installation are noticed.
I've also noticed that that is the only path listed here:

I've scanned through interface and found Program Settings:

The fist look at those blacked-out boxes spoked me out. And correctly so. No selection that is made after clicking on the Folder Icon right from the blacked-out fields is retained in it.

I've made a little experiment and moved all the dependencies and Texture packs into Plugin folder in Program installation directory and voilá - it works all teh dependencies and textures were listed correctly.

I've checked log file and found this:

I wonder if there is a way to input the proper paths into SC4Tool other than interface or scanning of the registry? By say manually tip it into some sort of ini file (didn't find one though...

Andreas

The paths are stored in the "Settings.dat" in the "System" subfolder, which is a regular text file with an XML structure. Open the file in Notepad and change the value of "SC4Path" (plugins in "Program Files") and "SC4LocalPath" (plugins in "My Documents") to your current path - hopefully this should do the trick.
Andreas

SimFox

Yep!
Worked as a charm!
Thanx a bunch, Andreas!

One thing to remember for anyone attempting to edit "Settings.dat" is to leave NO space at all after the path to the local plugin and closing Value tag as it will stop the whole thing working at all!
so this is a wrong way:

...\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins
</value>

and this is a right way:

...\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins</value>

joelyboy911

Does modifying these settings manually in notepad mitigate the problem of having balcked out text-entry boxes in Texture Editor and others?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

sithlrd98

yes. otherwise it sees just the my documents/plugins folder (at least that was my problem)   <value>C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe</value>
  </data>
  <data>
    <name>SC4LocalPath</name>
    <value>C:\Users\Jayson\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins</value>
  </data>

This is how mine is set up.
Just remember also to turn off Aero and update .fshlib

Jayson

Pat

OK dumb question Jayson how do I turn off aero and place that code also to update fshlib? cause I can use sc4tool to the most part but I get no textures even though they are loaded up in the folder side bar...

Found the fix by null45 and now all works... gaaah I feel like such a NoOb latly lol.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Sgwk372

I don't know if this problem is resolved or not but everytime I click on any icon after I start SC4 Tool, it freezes (Stops Responding) and nothing happens, it just stays like that.

wonton

Thanks so much dude for this info  &apls solved my problem good it did. peace