• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

No more Hole Digger and Raiser Lots need with this mod

Started by xannepan, January 19, 2013, 11:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xannepan

Hi NAM team,

I have created a small mod based on effect that allow me to place a lot that raises, then destroys itself. So no more need for the hole digger and raiser lots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBq4dYppvdI&feature=youtu.be

Now my question. Can somebody tell me the height an on slope puzzle pieces needs. And what are the specs for the other pieces?

Thnks,
Alex

memo

:o Very interesting! Groundbreaking!

The heights for Onslope puzzle pieces are 15 meters, usually. Rail-based network heights are 15.5 meters. Project 57 introduces the height levels 7.5m, 22.5m and 30m as well.

I am rather curious as to how the actual destruction works.

MandelSoft

First things first: Brilliant discovery!

Second, we would like to have the following heights, both up and down (all from Shadow Assassin's hole digger & raiser lots):
- 7.5m
- 8m
- 10m
- 12m
- 14m
- 15m
- 24m

Good luck with this project ;)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Glazert

I was impressed enough with the hole digger and raiser lots which had already been created, but this would certainly make for a much simpler replacement. The little video showed raising, but you have obviously also come up with digger lots. Both sunken and embanked roads and railroads will become so much more staightforward.

Indiana Joe

This will be super useful in tight situations.  Can't wait until you release it!

WC_EEND

I love how even for such an old game, new and really useful things keem getting discovered. Keep up the good work!

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

jeckyll

Could you create 2x2, 4x4 puzzle pieces? It will be very useful!

jp

spot

metarvo

You've really been breaking (and lowering and raising  ()stsfd() ) ground lately.  Good job!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

FrankU

This is great!
It will certainly make gameplay simpler again.
So, with the risk that this is becoming a request thread: is it possible to make lots that raise or lower to a fixed level above sea? It would be good to have a lot that raises or lowers the terrain to the perfect harbour level. Was it 4.0 m above sealevel? Wouanagaine made a special brush in his terraformer for making harbourlevels. I use it all the time when I make my harbours, because it's the only reliable way to get the correct level.

memo

Reform

Rivit made few more digger and raiser lots. That set included 5m lot and I have found it very helpfull. If you wish, that might be a good candidate for your set.

Quote from: memo on January 20, 2013, 02:23:50 AM
Frank, such a lot is already available: the CDK Leveler by Pegasus.

Working with shorelines is easy and fast with those lots, so I have allways wondered why they are so often ignored by players. Perhaps they just got buried under the new stuff in STEX.

- Ilja

FrankU

Quote from: Reform on January 20, 2013, 03:10:36 AM
Working with shorelines is easy and fast with those lots, so I have allways wondered why they are so often ignored by players. Perhaps they just got buried under the new stuff in STEX.

- Ilja

I know about these Peagsus lots. I had very mixed results with them. Sometimes the seaport lots I placed on the CDK-levelled terrain disappeared under water. It migh have been that I did something wrong, but I gave up. When I need a securely leveled seaport area I fire up terraformer and use the "make harbour" tool.

By the way: this makes clear that is it quite some time ago, because as far as I know Terraformer does not even work on my Win7 x64 SP1 OS. But that is another matter.

Frank

mike3775

Quote from: FrankU on January 20, 2013, 03:44:39 AM
Quote from: Reform on January 20, 2013, 03:10:36 AM

- Ilja

I know about these Peagsus lots. I had very mixed results with them. Sometimes the seaport lots I placed on the CDK-levelled terrain disappeared under water. It migh have been that I did something wrong, but I gave up. When I need a securely leveled seaport area I fire up terraformer and use the "make harbour" tool.

By the way: this makes clear that is it quite some time ago, because as far as I know Terraformer does not even work on my Win7 x64 SP1 OS. But that is another matter.

Frank

Same here with Peg's levelers.  Sometimes they work great, then other times the lot goes lower then it does.  They are great to use wen they work, but sometimes they don't

Swordmaster

Quote from: FrankU on January 20, 2013, 03:44:39 AM

Frank

This has nothing to do with the leveler lot, but with how the game treats terrain level changes. The same thing happens when you do it manually with the terrain tools. What you need to do is exit the city and re-enter, and all should work well.

Cheers
Willy

Reform

Not to turn this in to a discussion about these lots, but I usually create a small straight edged area and just level that. Then I use the in-game leveling brush (god mode tool in terrain mode) to create the whole shore. Hills, shoreline rocks and other elevations are built after that.

We all have our own ways of creating our regions. If xannepan's work provides something that other players will consider usefull, then it is most warmly welcomed.  :)

Quote from: Swordmaster on January 20, 2013, 03:57:38 AM
This has nothing to do with the leveler lot, but with how the game treats terrain level changes. The same thing happens when you do it manually with the terrain tools. What you need to do is exit the city and re-enter, and all should work well.

Cheers
Willy

Sometimes allready leveled area sinks a bit, after plopping some harbor lots to it. Usually I just re-level that area, place few road stubs as anchors and that fixes the problem for the whole area. Maybe I should try this exit and enter fix as well.

- Ilja

strucka

Great job with these. Now this is not a request, just an idea. Is there a slight possibility for this to become draggable? Because that would make it even more useful for creation of embankments for elevated heavy rail and stuff like that.

noahclem

teddyrised

Amazing discovery you have there &apls the auto-demolishing feature will definitely speed up making embankments tremendously - without needing to use the bulldozer tool every now and then.

I have an idea regards to the height increment of the lots. There are multiple heights that are available for the hole digging and raiser lots, and if one chooses to cater to all the heights requested, not only will there be a lot of work required on your behalf but also there is a probability of menu-overcrowding.

Therefore, I was wondering if it is possible to make them modular by height - i.e., by only using a selected few heights, which users can then mix and match themselves (by plopping different lots) to sum the heights up to their desired ones.

Of course, that means using prime numbers for height increments, as well as half-meter increments:

• 0.5m - for 15.5m elevated railway, when used in conjunction with 15m raiser
  • 1m - not prime, but needed
  • 2m
  • 3m
  • 5m
  • 7.5m - for L1, L3 (used with 15m) networks
  • 15m - for L2 and L4 (plopped twice) networks

Of course the 7.5m and 15m variants can be made from plopping a combination of the 0.5m, 2m, 3m and 5m variants, but for the ease of elevated networks we can include them.

The advantage of this is that there is no longer any need to create additional lots for different heights - if one needs to create a embankment that is 8m high for Buddybud's underpasses, for example, he can use 7.5m + 0.5m lot.

If one needs the 10m embankment to allow avenue tunnelling, simply plop the 5m piece twice ;)

This is just my two cents :)