• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Well thanks kimcar, but I don't think a bear could be that big, nor would the Gabbers just stared and lookat it. I don't know, but I have a slight idea what it could be, but you never know.... ;)

CaptCity, funny, but I went to a little place just like it last september up north of Amos in Québec/Canada. It was beautiful and I caught the trout of my life there too, a Speckled of 7.2 lbs and 27 inches (for those who know what I am talking about). I'm going back in late May. More or less that's where the idea of that place in the story came from.
I'll be less harsh on you all, and will release the picture without the *forbidden* zone later tonight.(and some others) I will have the time to continue the story a little bit. My wife came in sick and we cancelled our trip to the theater in Montreal this evening.

Thanks Pat, Simpson (any relation to Homer? ;)) and Sciurus for your comments.

mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

mrbisonm

So not to let you hang in there without knowing, here's my update.

.............Standing there for a full minute, everyone stared at the big rock on the other side of the creek where Charlie just caught his big trout. Grandpa was the first to say something totally stupid:  «« "How did that get here?" Pa looked at me and asked me, " How come you didn't see that? You just walked by it"...well, I didn't have an answer and we went back to staring. Finally Mike opened his mouth and said " So it is real afterall, it's not just a legend, right, or am I dreaming?" looking at grandpa as if he has completely lost in his mind. * Well, I think it is a Gottlieb Rockhut just like they show in the history books, but no one actually saw one.... I think?" Dad added. It wasn't too long that all three jumped over the creek and had a close inspection of the Giant rocky Skull with leaving me and my trout behind. I didn't know anything about this Goodleebs or whatever they said it was, but surely was eager to find out now. That big thing looked horrible»»

In the early 11th century people believed that a group of Scandinavians came to these lands for food and to settle. In Europe they called them the Gottliebs, a family that left northern Scandinavia to find a new home. Here they have found some very small and insignificient remains of rockhuts and tools from them, but way further up north and only pieces of this and that didn't make any sense and surely wasn't considered as any proof. The Gouvernment stopped the costly research on this legend a dozen years ago since no one actually could proof that they really existed. No money to spend on legends, they said.
They were supposed to have thrived for three centuries only, until the late 14th century and then all of sudden they disappeared without leaving a trace. Some say it was the aborigins who eliminated them, other said that a disease killed them all or they were taken by xtraterrestrians and so on. All legends and midnight stories they were, until today.
They lived in carved out rocks that had the appearance of a humanoid skull, this was to scare away spirits and other feared dangers. Near Beecherfalls, they found some small remains of such a hut in the 1870's, but too small to really confirm. It can be seen in the Beecher museum if you ever havve the time to stop and visit.

John Gabber, Mike Allheimer and Grandpa Gabber were on the other side of the creek surrounding and inspecting every detail of the big rockskull still most surprizingly fairly well intact.
«« " Charlie!" Dad shouted, " Go get my camera under the pilot's seat in Rusty Rover", the airplane as he calls it. I still had my trout in my right hand and the rod in the left. What was I am going to do with this, I thought. Leaving the rod right there on the ground and taking along my trophy, I ran towards the hydroplane, got the camera, left the trout on the floor of the airplane and closed the door being sure not to loose it. Just before I went into the creek Dad told me to wait, he will get the camera. Now what!...went through my mind »»

It took them almost an hour to inspect everything around the rock, while Charlie had enough of it after 5 minutes, he went back to his trout and then to the tents trying to figure out how to finish setting up the second one.

Nightfall was around the corner when they stopped talking about the rocky skull and Grandpa told everyone to go for a last throw of the fishing line before he prepares the supper, Charlie's trout. Meanwhile Charlie have been casting his line in every waterhole around the camping ground without any more luck, but getting discourage to fish was not on his list of weakness.

Time went by and supper was called to be ready. They all joined near the campfie that Grandpa has lit and ate a piece of that delicious trout with fried potatoes and poignons. What a meal.

Meanwhile in Bluebay a terrible accident has happened. Miss Gabber, John's wife, just ran into a pickup on her way to her mother in the little village of Binefield, only about 45 minutes from Bergen Island where the family lives. She was transported by helicopter right away to the Bluebay Hospital. Her condition is unstable and her life in danger. The oldest son of the Gabber family, John Junior has no idea where to find his father, Grandpa and brother Charlie. He thinks that they have gone to the Ripple pond where Father John always goes. He called the coast guard to find and inform them about the accident. They have two hydroplanes that they send out for the search, while the campers slowly prepare for the night

Later the conversation about the skull started again and Charlie was about to fall over because of tireness.

«« " You know we could make a fortune with this" Mike started mumbling, " I have an idea, how about buying all the land here with partial development in mind and do as if we didn't know about the skull? Maybe there are more in this area, maybe a whole village? We could open some tourist homes and...." he was cut off by Grandpa, " What the heck are you talking about? This is our find but not ours to keep you Know? This is history, this is maybe our descendance, this is .....well just great, I think." I heard them talk and talk, but didn't quite understand what it was all about. Then it finally happened, I fell asleep right there near the fire. »»

Dreaming of his trophy trout and hoping that the pics Dad took will be good, Charlie wasn't around anymore, slowly drifting into the world of no worries and total relaxation. Mike, John and his father continued talking about the idea to do something and maybe even make some profit of this situation for several hours and well deep into the night until Grandpa decided that it was time to find the sleeping bags and sleep.

Now I will not be updating for a couple of days. I have the GRV II Challenge to prepare which starts on Monday and some work to show to my farmhand that he'll be busy enough for the week. Thanks again for all these comments that I did not expect on a second MD/CJ of mine. It is appreciated and hopefully you liked today's update as much as I had fun doing and writing it.

mrb ;)

nerdly_dood

This certainly is a different style of MD! I'd like to see where this goes...
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

CabraBuitre

I'm certainly going to follow this one, too!  Great start!

Check out Abelfarei!

Pat

ooo Fred I am captive here!!! I love that Skull!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

CaptCity

Of course, a Giant Gottlieb Skull... I should've known... Wait, just what is a Giant Gottlieb Skull, and does it connect to Miss Gabber's accident (sorry to hear about that)?

I'll certainly be back to find out. Really like the night shot with the campfire. Brings out the remoteness of the situation.

BarbarossaS

Once again you prove you're an excellent storyteller, Fred.
I really like your style of writing!

And as for the pics:  :o :o
Very nice!!!  :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Fantastic &apls &apls

I had imagined all kinds of things as to what it would be but not a giant skull  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%
Wonderful pics too.
The nighttime shot of camp really does feel remote  :thumbsup:

Hope Mrs Gabber makes a speedy recovery ;)

till the next time

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

FrankU

The story is really good to read and the pictures are way beyond everything EA could have dreamed of when they released SC4. Somehow I tend to forget what the C in the name of the game means....

I'll follow your project closely.

Battlecat

The giant skull is certainly an unexpected development.  Neat story about why it's there. 

Actually the core concept of the early settlers that have dissapeared reminds me a bit of the real world L'Anse-aux-Meadows settlement in Newfoundland.  Very cool all around!

NASCAR_Guy

I see the Gabber family bought the plane from the Polish military. :P
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

mrbisonm

nerdly_dood, CabraBuitre, Pat,  glad that you have adopted this MD, thanks.

CaptCity
, no it's got nothing to do with Mrs Gabber's accident. The rocky skulls used to be the homes of the Gottliebs, hollow inside , the families had warmth and protection.

BarbarossaS, Sciurus  thanks.

TheTeaCat, glad you like the remoteness of the picture, I really tried hard for it to look as if it was faaaaar away from civ. Glad it worked out.

FrankU, if I remember right the C stand for City, but I could be wrong..... ;)

Battlecat, you're right, the basic idea came from the early viking settlements in Newfoundland.

NASCAR_Guy, lol...yeah, it was bought on a public auction in Beecherfalls a couple of years ago. ;)

I will be back later this week. The story will continue with the beginning of the Winding River Project. I will inform you what the decision was and how the decision was put onto paper and into action. We will see some pictures of the big City of Beecher Falls and Frampton, the main Office of Gabber Mgs Inc and some of the Government. And of course you will have the honor to be the first to actually see the first invasion of the Wilderness with some never seen detailed new Nexis Bats and props. The construction of the biggest Project in the history of simland is about to begin. It will make the Gabber family from rich to extremely rich, but many tears and blood will be shed before.
Make sure to be there before the end of this week. ;)

Now I need three (3) people to have their characters incorporated into my story, 2 boys and 1 girl character are needed. These will be the ones that will be growing up with Charlie in the next 10 years to come. Make sure that you will be still here during the year, otherwise your character might disappear, die or just linger away with time. As long as you leave a comment here and there and proving me that you're still around during the time of this CJ, I will continue with your character in the story.

Just tell me why I should take your character now and I will choose the ones on next sunday suited best to the story I have in mind. I want to know their ambitions and expectations and their job  later in life. They will start off as kids in the age of 8 to 12 years old. Once chosen, I will then contact you (PM) to get more detailed info.

Don't worry, there will be many more characters to come, so come back if not chosen at a later time. Thanks.

Some preview Pics of the the two towns we'll visit next time.

mrb

BarbarossaS

Nice teaser pics. I'd love to be a part of the story, but just not right away.
For the later characters I'll definitely sign up  ;)

NASCAR_Guy

That's what I love about your building Style Mr B. you can never tell where a city begAINS AND ENDS. :thumbsup:

*gah stupid caps lock* ::)
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

CaptCity

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 16, 2009, 09:58:33 AM
CaptCity, no it's got nothing to do with Mrs Gabber's accident...

OK, I thought maybe we were headed to something like a para-normal or an 'out-of-this-world' experience...  ()borg() ...  ;)

Looking forward to more...

-CaptCity

mrbisonm

CaptCity, I thought you were...... ;)
BarbarossaS, whenever you're ready to have your character join...
NASCAR_Guy, big fingers like me? (*gah stupid caps lock*)...lol

mrb

threestooges

Wow, so much had happened since I last commented, I hardly know where to begin. Let me just say, your nature shots are amazing, and the story is developing nicely. I'll be interested to see where it goes. In the meantime, good luck with the GRV competition. I'm not sure I could devote the time to it this time around (I'd love to do it otherwise, but I'd hate to miss deadlines and all), but certainly next time. Great works you have going here.
-Matt

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

kimcar

&ops Gee i feel stupid with my bear  ;D . I didn`t think about the size before answering, but a skull was the last thing that i will think about. Great one and great story too  :thumbsup: &apls &apls