• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nego

Welcome to page 53!
Quote from: Tarkus on June 10, 2010, 01:02:18 PM

Is that some new TuLEPs I see? :D

Nice update! I like the maps. Very cool :thumbsup: You never seize to amaze us, Tarkus. The way you can make amazing interchanges with the RHW. How you plan out residential areas to make them look so realistic! All great!

I can't wait for your next update!

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

:)

Edit:
Found another one:
Quote from: Tarkus on June 10, 2010, 01:02:18 PM

the left intersection uses advanced TULEPs too, I see.

;)

ecoba

Great update, Alex. The detail that you put into your work is simply amazing. The way that you also show us all of the intersections is really cool as well.

The "Oregon Republic" reminds me of an altered version of the proposed "Cascadia".

One detail that I thought was very humurous, if not interesting, in this update was the "countdown", if you will, of the most dangerous intersections in Chemeketa.

Great work here, my friend, and hope that you can get another wonderful update up soon.

Ethan :)

noahclem

Really cool! Seems like growth is really taking off! Overall solid and of course brilliant thoroughness and attention to detail. To pick out a couple things among many, I enjoyed your "surfways" and your use of the word "portmanteau". Good luck with your problem intersections as you work toward the next update  :thumbsup:

canyonjumper

Fantastic update Alex! I love your usage of the TuLEPS! I agree with haljackey in that this is your best update I've seen ;D

Your friend,
                                   Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

TJ1

I see some advanced TuLeps here. :) Great Job Alex. :thumbsup: &apls

itsacoaster

Tarkus I like your use of "surfways."  I do a similar type of thing in my cities, using a hybrid of RHW and avenue sections, with few surface intersections along it (usually only at avenues).  It gives the flexibility of a grade-separated interchange in the future if needed.

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

j-dub

I like how traffic signals are not default in that setup, too bad we can't have TuLEPs that can both engage and disengage traffic signal appearance, depending on rotation. Then again, maybe a signal would of prevented that auto accident down there, because it looks like it takes forever to cross 5 lanes of traffic here and deal with pedestrians, no thanks to the new enforced ped laws in the US. I mean that guy looks like he is just standing down there and not even moving across the road.

bakerton

Alex, ORDOT looks just like TDOT. To me TDOT people are nodoubt ORDOTpeople. Otherwise, wonderful update and Oregon Republic looks like a nice place to visit. What are the passport requirements if any? (LOL). Looking forward to more. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

EDGE4194

alex- another great update with a little bit of everything thrown in. Also a great "tutorial" on using the new new network items.  :)

Bobbi

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

Speedbump Joey

Tarkus,

I have spent the past week and a half, hours on end reading each one of your updates. I am a huge transit/road fan/geek. I work as a delivery driver currently, and there have been times where I drive by road projects here in Dallas/Ft. Worth, and I feel like I am seeing a mirror image of your fantastic work in this beautiful game. You have really inspired me to install SC4 on my new computer (when I get it, and it's not soon enough!). I realized the other day that I already have doodled out some plans for cities and what not. Just wanted to say that you have done fantastic work and that you are an amazing storyteller.

Regards,

Joseph

TmiguelT

doorknob60

Click here if you want to play SimCity 4 in Linux :)
Click here if you want to try Linux :)

Nexis4Jersey

Nice update as always  :thumbsup: The Oregon Republic eh?  Oh no you didn't wait intill i roll out the United Northeastern Republic.  How come you didn't name it the Cascade Republic?

Jmouse

As I study the larger map, I have to compliment you on the way the north/south crossroads over and under Hebo Hwy (36) are laid out.  Looks like there's adequate access without undue disturbance to the nearby neighborhoods.

The interchange
at Hwys 36 and 15 is an amazing feat of engineering, and I've saved some of your photos for further study. Once again, I see maximum access with minimum impact on the surroundings.

I'm eager to try my hand at building some expressways using your work as an example. Watching how your network has developed is very enlightening – you've managed to make sense out of an otherwise complex and rather mysterious process.

Excellent update...
:)
Joan

nedalezz

Wow what a great update! I dont think I have ever seen anything like the interchange you have done replicated in SimCity - simply outstanding.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back with another installment of Tarkusian Cities . . . we'll again be returning to Chemeketa to look at a series of roadway improvements being undertaken jointly by ORDOT and the cities of Chemeketa and Vivien Heights, which has been dubbed the Wallace Corridor Project.

But first, replies:

In progress . . .

Now onto construction:

The Wallace Corridor Project is a joint venture between ORDOT, the City of Chemeketa and the City of Vivien Heights, streamlining a series of five smaller projects that are designed to improve traffic flow in the vicinity of the two cities' respective downtown cores.  The Wallace Corridor consists of Wallace Road, Halvorson Road, and a short stretch of Highway 36.

Wallace Road is a major north-south thoroughfare, which connects downtown Chemeketa to downtown Vivien Heights with a bridge across the Willamette River.  It is currently a two-lane road between Vivien Heights and its southern terminus at River Road SW in Chemeketa.  With development occurring rapidly in Vivien Heights and in the Radio Hill area on the south side of Chemeketa, it will quickly become obsolescent.  Additionally, its interchange with Highway 36 (Exit 69A) only has ramps to and from the east side, requiring traffic going between points west and Vivien Heights/southwestern Chemeketa to use the Commerce/Division Street exit (Exit 69B) and take a circuitous route along downtown streets.

Wallace also forms the half of a pair of offset T-intersections along River Road, with Halvorson Road serving as the other.  As Halvorson Road is also suffering from significant congestion, the current configuration is causing issues with traffic flow on River Road as well.

The improvements being undertaken as part of the Wallace Corridor consists of the following:
A. Reconfigure the Highway 36 interchange with Commerce Street/Division Street (Highway 219) to allow for a full diamond interchange with Wallace Road while minimizing weaving.
B. Replace Wallace Road bridge over the Willamette with a new 4-lane structure.
C. Widen Wallace Road to 4 through travel lanes between the bridge and River Road, with center turn lanes or landscaping in the medians as appropriate, replacing overpass over Highway 36
D. Realign Wallace Road on the south end, so as to form a 4-way intersection with River Road and Halvorson Road
E. Widen Halvorson Road to 5 lanes (4 through travel lanes with a center turn lane) between the reconfigured River Road intersection and 35th Street SW (south of the map boundary).

The project oversight committee, consisting of ORDOT, Chemeketa and Vivien Heights engineering staff, contractors, and key stakeholders decided to work on these improvements on a south-to-north geographic basis, beginning with subprojects C, D and E, which will provide the most immediate improvement and are less intensive.

This is a look at the current pair of offset T-intersections along River Road SW, looking north.  The one on top is Wallace Road, the one on the bottom is Halvorson Road.

This is Halvorson Road SW in the Radio Hill neighborhood, looking south.  The main intersection there is 35th Street SW, the southern boundary of subproject E, with Radio Hill Elementary School located at the southeast corner.

Halvorson Road at 31st Street SW, looking south, with construction already beginning. 

The intersection of River and Halvorson, looking north, after construction has begun.  You can see the initial work on the Wallace realignment here, which will most likely take out a few homes.

Halvorson just south of the River Road intersection, looking north.

The north end of the curve on Wallace Road, facing north.  The current alignment of Wallace Road, which has existed since it was first constructed in 1958, was chosen as it was cheaper than leveling part of the ridge bounding the curve and traffic volumes did not merit spending a lot of money.  Today, that is no longer the case, and construction crews are beginning the process of altering the topography to make way for the new alignment.

Traffic has been partially diverted onto sections of the new Halvorson roadway that has been completed, facing north.

Halvorson Road at River Road, now widened to 5 lanes and with part of the new Wallace Road alignment in place, facing north.  While it looks complete here, as you'll see, there's still a fair bit of work to do to the north.

Old meets new.  A few images of the excavation being done for the new Wallace alignment, while the old one continues to operate, facing south.

The old alignment has now been disconnected from River Road, facing south.

The old curve to the north has now been disconnected as well, facing south.  Wallace Road has been closed for a short while the new alignment gets connected into the old.

The existing Wallace Road interchange (Exit 69A) with Highway 36, and the new widened roadway toward the top, facing south.

Construction begins on the interchange, facing south.  The overpass will be demolished as part of the project, and the interchange closed for 3 months.  You may notice there has been some new development just south of the interchange as well.

That does it for this construction update.  Subprojects D and E are now done, and we'll finish up C and take a look at A and B next update.  After that, we'll travel to the north side of town, where a number of very large projects are in the works.

-Alex

CoastRunner

Wow, this is amazing!!  Superb work on the dirt, roadworks, suburbs, and I especially like the way you planned it out on the map and in writing, too.

Speedbump Joey