• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Manager

Started by Yild, November 11, 2012, 01:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yild

From today the DAMN Manager (1.0.6) is available to download from LEX  ;D
DAMN Manager download: at LEX at STEX
DAMN Manager support thread: at SC4Dev

alb33

:thumbsup: very cool!

I have a more general question on DAMN, something annoying I never got fixed, hopefully someone can help.
Setting up menus and using them ingame works for me, but the menus do not show up as popups but as part of news ticker. In my case this is even worse as I can click a lot only once, then the menu deactivates (i cannot click the menu folders/lots anymore) and I have to click "Open Additional Submenus" to re enable it - each time!

I have
- enabled urgent advice dialogs in the game
- selected proper menu window type in the tool
- reinstalled everything from scratch with DAMN as first plugin

Running SE4Deluxe (steam version) on Windows.
Please, anyone can help?

Yild

Quote from: alb33 on January 13, 2013, 01:24:55 AMI have to click "Open Additional Submenus" to re enable it - each time!

"It works as intended"... well it worked that way in SSPTool (I use its DAMN plugin files), I was looking on lua scripts in DAMN mod but it looks that every time when we click an item window DAMN menu looses its focus (menu items names going grey) and we need to 'activate' it again by clicking link.
There may be solution but IMO 'simcity' lua lacks documentation to modify this behaviour.

alb33

lotherius

Anyone else got this running on Windows 8? It doesn't run for me.

I run the download, and it says it's installing. After that, nothing. Double click the executable and all you get is a zombie process in task manager for every time you tried to run the app, nothing ever shows up on the screen, the app never loads. No error messages either. Just have to kill the zombie task in Task Manager...

Yild

I didn't test Manager in this [insert your insult here] Windows... I will download win8 trial today and test/correct this... ETA unknown  ;)

CasperVg

Don't worry Yild, I can confirm that it works on my "[insert your insult here]" installation of Windows just fine. Lotherius, have you tried running it as Administrator? That did the trick for me.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Yild

Quote from: CasperVg on January 15, 2013, 04:29:56 AM
Don't worry Yild, I can confirm that it works on my "[insert your insult here]" installation of Windows just fine. Lotherius, have you tried running it as Administrator? That did the trick for me.
Thanks for the info :)

I was thinking about this, but... RTFM should apply :P

lotherius

Quote from: CasperVg on January 15, 2013, 04:29:56 AM

Odd. I did try administrator as well as compatibility modes and it still just gets stuck as a zombie process. Have been using 8 since November and this is the first program I've encountered that plain didn't work, so maybe it is something else. At this point I simply have to give up on DAMN menus as SST tool freezes whenever I try to index NAM PIECES...

vortext

Quote from: lotherius on January 15, 2013, 10:46:05 AM
At this point I simply have to give up on DAMN menus as SST tool freezes whenever I try to index NAM PIECES...

Well I'm no expert on the subject but I suspect you simply cannot create DAMN menus for NAM pieces since they're transit items, which are very different from ordinary lots. Then again, I might be wrong.

Also, the order in the NAM menus can be altered with the Reader, so maybe that's something to look into and change whatever it is you want to change. :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Swordmaster

Quote from: vortext on January 15, 2013, 10:55:12 AM
Quote from: lotherius on January 15, 2013, 10:46:05 AM
At this point I simply have to give up on DAMN menus as SST tool freezes whenever I try to index NAM PIECES...

Well I'm no expert on the subject but I suspect you simply cannot create DAMN menus for NAM pieces since they're transit items, which are very different from ordinary lots. Then again, I might be wrong.

Also, the order in the NAM menus can be altered with the Reader, so maybe that's something to look into and change whatever it is you want to change. :)

Yes you can, though I haven't tried yet. In the detail menu there's a "network" option, have you set that?

Cheers
Willy

Yild

"Add Network Lots" in "Extras" is function that you are looking for

lotherius

Well, if I had some way to troubleshoot what was going on, I would.... :(... Does DAMN Manager scan your lots on loadup? Maybe it is hanging somewhere on that.... Plus, I have the game directory in a folder on the D: drive, maybe that's the issue.

I may go so far as to set up a Virtualbox with XP on it to test from there to see if it's my OS setup, or something in my plugins folder...

Yild

Quote from: lotherius on January 15, 2013, 01:26:06 PM
Well, if I had some way to troubleshoot what was going on, I would.... :(... Does DAMN Manager scan your lots on loadup? Maybe it is hanging somewhere on that.... Plus, I have the game directory in a folder on the D: drive, maybe that's the issue.
yes, at startup simcity_1.dat is loaded - exemplar info for the SimCity building, but location shouldn't be a problem coz every time you run SC registry entries are created/updated with info with simcity.exe location, and even if not found program should ask you to locate SC installation folder manually.

lotherius

Quote from: Yild on January 15, 2013, 01:49:58 PM
Quote from: lotherius on January 15, 2013, 01:26:06 PM
yes, at startup simcity_1.dat is loaded - exemplar info for the SimCity building, but location shouldn't be a problem coz every time you run SC registry entries are created/updated with info with simcity.exe location, and even if not found program should ask you to locate SC installation folder manually.

I wonder if it matters that I used SC4DatPacker on simcity_1.dat as recommended for one of the game bugfixes...

This bugfix: http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/48632-tutorial-applying-the-i-ht-bug-fix-correctly/

I will try tomorrow with the unmodified simcity_1.dat.

Yild

question is did file names has change after packing?

Manager require SimCityLocale.DAT and SimCity_1.DAT files and they should be in installation folder. I will investigate this, in addition I found a "bug" - there is no info message if those files ware not found.

lotherius

Quote from: Yild on January 16, 2013, 05:33:56 AM

Manager require SimCityLocale.DAT and SimCity_1.DAT files and they should be in installation folder. I will investigate this, in addition I found a "bug" - there is no info message if those files ware not found.

The simcity_1.DAT file is the same. However I have the UK locale, which has a different filename form the locale by default, that is probably the root problem. It needs to look for the various locale names.

EDIT:

Now that I'm home, here is the path to MY locale file:
D:\Programs\SimCity 4\UKEnglsh\SimCityLocale.DAT

EDIT 2:

I copied the Locale file to:
D:\Programs\SimCity 4\English\SimCityLocale.DAT

and now DAMN Manager loads... so it needs to be flexible for non-US configurations of the locale :)

Yild

Quote from: lotherius on January 16, 2013, 08:30:48 AM
Quote from: Yild on January 16, 2013, 05:33:56 AM

The simcity_1.DAT file is the same. However I have the UK locale, which has a different filename form the locale by default, that is probably the root problem. It needs to look for the various locale names.

EDIT:

Now that I'm home, here is the path to MY locale file:
D:\Programs\SimCity 4\UKEnglsh\SimCityLocale.DAT

EDIT 2:

I copied the Locale file to:
D:\Programs\SimCity 4\English\SimCityLocale.DAT

and now DAMN Manager loads... so it needs to be flexible for non-US configurations of the locale :)

thanks for this info, there are files _filelist.txt in SC main folder with files paths for different language, SimCityLocale.DAT is standard name so I will search for it in installation folder (and in its subfolders).

lotherius

Well the good news (that I got it to load) didn't last.

It doesn't work.....

That is, I cannot add ANY lots to the menu. They show up, pop up an error box (no matter what lot out of thousands I select) that says "Unknown format of the preview image (not PNG or JPG) with TGI:"... and so all the previews are blank..

I figured, okay no previews... that's bad enough.

But then, when I select the lot (it turns blue in the UI and the "Selected" count goes up), and hit "Add".... nothing happens. Absolutely nothing, except the UI flickers a bit. It doesn't add to the menu, doesn't give an error, nothing....

Yild

You are the only one who experience the "errors" on that scale...