• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NEW - Turning Lanes Plugin - POLL Closed

Started by jplumbley, October 09, 2007, 03:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I do?      Please read below before voting.

Re-write the RTL Plugin.
81 (89%)
Leave it as is.
7 (7.7%)
Dont care (dont use it)
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 90

M4346

Right now it's looking like a Zimbabwean election poll... You secured 97% of the vote! :P  :D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

JoeST

slightly smaller population than Zimbabwe  :P :P
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

RippleJet

...but the result is indeed an overwhelming Yay for the Ruler of Zimbabwe Jason! :thumbsup:

Filasimo

perhaps we may need a recount? darn those loose chads  :D
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Crissa

I feel really bad for voting for option one, since I cannot help with the coding!

But if you think you can do it, I'd say do it.  It's great for us and better for your portfolio.

-Crissa

jgehrts

Anything to clean up the code makes things better for everybody.

Pat

Quote from: M4346 on October 10, 2007, 12:33:58 PM
Right now it's looking like a Zimbabwean election poll... You secured 97% of the vote! :P  :D

Quote from: Filasimo on October 10, 2007, 02:20:50 PM
perhaps we may need a recount? darn those loose chads  :D

hmmmm yea i agree Ryan after -M- posted about 97% of the votes and now its down to 94.9%....
Yea i say a recount of chads are in order lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

cammo2003

Quote from: jplumbley on October 09, 2007, 03:54:34 PM

(snip)

So, I leave this question to you:
Should I?

1.  Fix the issues and release an updated RTL Plugin.  Remember this means you will have to click on every Road/Road intersection when you install the updated plugin.

2.  Ignore the issue and delay the release of TLA-5 and TLA-3 even longer.

3.  You dont care because you dont use the RTL Plugin with the NAM.

Just do it. We all know what you're really doing is stalling for time.  :P

(Just kidding!  :D)

In all seriousness though, do do it. (I voted if you question my sincerity in that matter).

jplumbley

Stalling for time... hehe.  Its obviously always an issue, but its not like there is an immanent release that is going to be pushed back because i dont have this done.  To be honest, the next release of NAM will likely include a BETA of quite a few things being worked on.

We all know that there has been public discussion on a couple of things, TLA-5 and TLA-3, RHW v14 (including MIS), SAM BETA v2 (including Dirt Road Variations and Roundabouts).  A new improved RTL Plugin?  ArkenbergeJoe's El-HRail models....  Not to mention Tropod is around, I wonder what he will come up with next.

Exciting times... when the next NAM gets pulled together for a release, but obviously since this has just started it means there is alot of work to do before a release, Im not trying to get hopes up.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Tarkus

To clarify, when there is going to be a new release, it won't be a "the new NAM" in the traditional sense (no big 20MB file), but a bunch of new NAM components.  You won't have to uninstall your NAM again for the new stuff this way.

Of course, if it doesn't have a release date, which is the case for all NAM stuff, nothing's getting pushed back.   ;)  We like to surprise people. ;)  If anything, rewriting the RTL code will actually speed things along on the TLAs and whatnot because the current structure of that Plugin is making some of what we're trying to do next to impossible.

-Alex (Tarkus)

cammo2003

Haha. I would like to make mention of the fact that my tongue was firmly planted in cheek when I posted that (if it wasn't made abundantly obvious). :P

It is kinda frustrating being on the other side, though. Having said that, do take your time, because it sucks to have do things twice because you botched it the first time.  :D

"Ready when it's ready", as frustrating as it can be sometimes, is definitely, IMHO, best practice.

At least you didn't overwrite your Windows partition like I did the other day (oooops!  :D). It was probably time for a cleanout anyhow. Kinda telling though that the only thing I really miss from the old partition is my SC4 regions.

Kitsune

Well, heres something I didnt see, what will happen to the existing intersections? Will they just lose there turning lanes, or will the entire intersection be gone?
~ NAM Team Member

Andreas

I assume the turning lane textures will "disappear", that means that you have to redraw the intersections (or better, just click on the center with the road tool once). Depending on the number of intersections, this might be a bit work (esp. in dense downtown areas), but the game won't stop functioning or something like this.
Andreas

M4346

Quote from: Andreas on October 16, 2007, 11:41:49 AM
I assume the turning lane textures will "disappear", that means that you have to redraw the intersections (or better, just click on the center with the road tool once).

That is how I understood it too, from JPlumbley's explanations. :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

jplumbley

Quote from: Kitsune on October 16, 2007, 11:32:12 AM
Well, heres something I didnt see, what will happen to the existing intersections? Will they just lose there turning lanes, or will the entire intersection be gone?

By re-writing and re-indexing these intersections.  They will ALL disappear and need to be re-drawn.  The thing I am going to implement is allowing you to choose where they appear.  I am trying to work on the RULs to allow you to have as many Turn Lanes as you want at an intersection.  For example you can have one left turn lane coming from the South but you dont want one coming from the North.  The issue I am running into at the moment is "over RULing" it, the approach I have initially taken needs to be done backwards and I have to re-think the logic a little to re-work the code.  I havent had much time to do this since my first initial test, which worked 95% but was not worth releasing.  When I made the fix for a error I was getting it would give me a red drag when trying to draw the intersection...  A good sign of a loop in the RULs, but its the only way I could think of making it work and I couldnt find a loop.

Anyways, I should have some RULing time this weekend coming to entertain some new ideas I have had, and I would infact like to explore another way of implementing it, in which I would require new learning.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

nerdly_dood

This will totally void my intersection textures, won't it?
:angrymore:
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

DFire870

Ah, that'd be awesome if you could choose which parts of the intersection you want turning lanes on, since not every 4-way intersection has turning lanes on all 4 sides.
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

ssc4k

great! but one question, how are we going to be able to select the number of turning lanes??? :P

ssc4k
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature and help him gain world domination.

Jonathan

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Quotegreat! but one question, how are we going to be able to se lect the number of turning lanes???
Still this will be awesome (Definatly No more TEd lots on the STEX;))
You certainly one heck of a modder. :thumbsup:

Crissa

Well, currently you can change if there's a turning lane by re-drawing the length of the intersection or type of roadway... You get none with a tight intersection, a short one if there's a long one, etc.

I assume it'll work like Sam, where we'll be able to choose types of roads/avenues from a seed?

-Crissa