• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Request - Smooth Elevated Highway(Maxis) 45° Curve

Started by mrdobalina, January 27, 2011, 08:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdobalina

I am very delighted about everything the NAM has put in their standard NAM so far. Of course, there are always pieces that you want to put in your network which aren't there. Of the missing pieces, there is only one that I really, really miss.
Since I try only to use the smooth NAM-curves in my highway network (they look much better than the sharp maxis curves), the lack of an elevated version is limiting the possibilities. I am hoping there is going to be a smooth elevated highway curve in a next NAM-update.

Other suggestions (but much less needed):
- road FAR/ortogonal "switch", just as is available for rail.
- diagonal highway trumpet intersection, just like the available one, but turned 45°
- highway Y-intersection with 2 ortogonal and 1 diagonal outlet
- FARR/othogonal railroad switch, but where the othogonal track joins a straigt FARR piece
- idem, for road
- FAR avenue pieces (FAA)
- FAR Highway pieces (FAHW)
(- the diagonal bridges, but if the NAM-team could, they would, i am sure)

Have a nice Sim day/night.

Opkl

Quote from: mrdobalina on January 27, 2011, 08:13:18 AM
I am very delighted about everything the NAM has put in their standard NAM so far. Of course, there are always pieces that you want to put in your network which aren't there. Of the missing pieces, there is only one that I really, really miss.
Since I try only to use the smooth NAM-curves in my highway network (they look much better than the sharp maxis curves), the lack of an elevated version is limiting the possibilities. I am hoping there is going to be a smooth elevated highway curve in a next NAM-update.

Other suggestions (but much less needed):
- road FAR/ortogonal "switch", just as is available for rail.
- diagonal highway trumpet intersection, just like the available one, but turned 45°
- highway Y-intersection with 2 ortogonal and 1 diagonal outlet
- FARR/othogonal railroad switch, but where the othogonal track joins a straigt FARR piece
- idem, for road
- FAR avenue pieces (FAA)
- FAR Highway pieces (FAHW)
(- the diagonal bridges, but if the NAM-team could, they would, i am sure)

Have a nice Sim day/night.

I agree with the bolded part. I made a thread about having more maxis highway interchanges and from the replies, I believe there was only one member who actually took the time to make them and he is not active anymore. ()sad() Some of the NAM team said that maxis highways are very very very hard for them to model and take too much time to create. So long story short, I wouldn't expect any new interchange pieces in future NAM's unless someone wants to put in the effort to create some.

Tarkus

Quote from: mrdobalina on January 27, 2011, 08:13:18 AM

There will actually be a 45-degree Elevated Maxis Highway Curve in the next NAM release, developed by Chrisim.  Tram-in-Avenue/Elevated Maxis Highway interchanges (both orth and diag) will be added as well.

At most, you'll probably see some small additions here and there, mostly "gap-filling" along those lines that we can produce using existing models with minimal tweaking . . . but additional large Maxis Highway/Maxis Highway interchanges are still very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

-Alex

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on March 09, 2011, 02:08:16 PM
There will actually be a 45-degree Elevated Maxis Highway Curve in the next NAM release, developed by Chrisim.  Tram-in-Avenue/Elevated Maxis Highway interchanges (both orth and diag) will be added as well.

At most, you'll probably see some small additions here and there, mostly "gap-filling" along those lines that we can produce using existing models with minimal tweaking . . . but additional large Maxis Highway/Maxis Highway interchanges are still very unlikely to happen anytime soon.
-Alex

What about cloverleafs for ave's/ TLA-5/ MAVE4-6?

Chrisim

NAM version 30 contains a few new pieces for the Maxis elevated highway.
First of all, I never liked the Maxis diagonal avenue junction with the diagonal elevated highway. The Maxis model had the avenue elevated to 7 m height, which made the piece huge. I moved the avenue down to the ground and could therefore reduce the size of this piece. It is implemented such that highway/avenue junctions in existing cities remain and this piece is used when you build new junctions:

Secondly there are orthogonal and diagonal elevated highway junctions with tram-avenue:

And finally, I added a smooth curve for elevated highway (there was already a smooth curve for ground highway before)

PS: my real life keeps me quite busy. I won't be able to reply for several weeks - so I kindly ask the SC4D community to reply when there are questions ...

puzzled5543

Quote from: Tarkus on March 09, 2011, 02:57:52 PM
Quote from: Opkl on March 09, 2011, 02:47:52 PM
What about cloverleafs for ave's/ TLA-5/ MAVE4-6?

Very unlikely.  At most, there might be diamond interchanges.

-Alex

Wouldn't all we really need be ramp pieces for the NWM networks, which would go into RHW, (We already have the transitions for the AVE-4) and then just draw the MIS ramps to make the cloverleaf?

DAB_City

Sounds like a great bunch of ideas, although I'm sure that RHW takes priority over MHW improvements... I have used MHW as an urban highway, but since I'm starting a new region, it's gonna be RHW from the get-go.

May i add a suggestion: Elevated Rail/Monorail over Road, Street, Avenue, OWR and MORE puzzle pieces!  ()stsfd()
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/