• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

It's good to see you once again, Buzzit!  :)  I guess starting all over has been a pain, but it looks like you're back up and running.  The idea of Google Earth modelling is rather intriguing.  Of course, you probably know that I've spent a considerable amount of time browsing Google Maps/Earth to gain inspiration for my project or sometimes just for fun.  New lines are even going up in my state and eventually they show up on the maps.

The new pylons look nice!  :thumbsup:  The variety in isolator configurations seems a little unusual but as you said each variation serves a purpose.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

noahclem

Great to see you back!! The power lines are looking fantastic as always  &apls

Buzzit

Quote from: metarvo on February 24, 2013, 07:15:24 PM
The variety in isolator configurations seems a little unusual but as you said each variation serves a purpose.

Well in Holland its a pretty common thing in lines.

when a line is isn't crossing any road waterway or railroad they mainly use the single isolator configuration:

its pretty much the most common configuration in about any line since its the cheapest and easiest way.
it also offers free movement in any direction. but this can also have its bad points like conductor galloping.

When a line does cross a road/railway/waterway. They have in most cases the double isolator configuration:

it has the same antributes as the single isolator config but it reduces the chance of 'isolatorchain failure' wich means that the insolatorchain would break because of lack of maintenance or bad weather. If one of the chains would break the other would be able to hold the conductor(s) However as far as i know this never happend. But still Countries like holland are pretty strickt when it comes to safety rules. so you can find these at almost every road railroad and small watercrossings.
Since it has another isolatorchain i raised the maintenance price and the price overal for this config.

Another configuration wich is pretty common in holland is the 'halve-verankering' (tbh i don't have a clue how this is called in english.)

This configuration is used at big water crossings or when the distance between towers gets to big. but in some parts of holland this is the standard configuration.
the bigger the distance the bigger the resonance wich can induce conductor galloping. This configuration offers the solution to that. Its only able to move side ways and not lengthways.
since this has this new antribute + the double chains. it has a slightly higher price then the dual chain configuration.

and the last one i present is the dual V-chain configuration.

This configuration is seen in most of the new lines or the lines that are upgraded just recently (just like this one. These poles are fused together as these where 2 seperate lines.)
This configuration reduces the magnetic field and it isn't able to move sideways.
Since this has the same atributes as the 'halve verankering' it will have the same price.

I thought this would be a realistic touch to my sets for sc4 giving it the most realistic form of power distribution.

I hope this made it a bit more clear about the diffrent configurations.

Quote from: Fresh Prince of SC4D on February 22, 2013, 09:36:49 AM
Welcome back Buzzit! I missed your pylon model genius. Your new models look great and the site you shown us is amazing; European pylon networks are aesthetically especially combine with the landscape that surround them. I can't wait to see how extensive your project may get. 

BTW will you still be taking requests ?
To be honest i have no idea in wich direction this goes! we'll see in the future hehe!

What did you have in mind? although i won't be covering anything under 70kV now since i have already created sets for those

Quote from: Aaron Graham on February 25, 2013, 11:22:21 AM
Welcome back, I love the new pylons.
Thank you! its nice to have some time for this again idd!

Quote from: noahclem on February 25, 2013, 11:45:56 AM
Great to see you back!! The power lines are looking fantastic as always  &apls

Thank you! glad you like them!

Fresh Prince of SC4D

My request is to restart a old project( like the polish plyon or tubular monopoles) you experimented with in 2011. But I won't push it any further if you don't feel like pursuing older projects after that crash. I assume that was disappointing.
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

metarvo

:o

Wow, that's quite a mouthful.  Thanks for the info.  :)  Common isolator configurations for the lines over here include I - I in three rows (for 138 kV), and a two-row configuration with I - I in the top row and IV - VI in the bottom row (for 345 kV).  It's generally always single isolators, though.  Specifications state that the 5° angle pylon for the main double-circuit 345-kV pylon type in my state is sometimes used on straight stretches for long spans, but I've only seen it used this way once, and that one time was only in a Google Street View.  ::)  Many water crossings of these power lines happen to be at power plant lakes, which are designed with islands in place for the pylons.  This negates the need for long spans, since the islands are spaced apart at normal-span distance.  This is a little of a hassle for the fishers and boaters out on these lakes, though.  &Thk/(
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

Buzzit

Quote from: Fresh Prince of SC4D on February 25, 2013, 03:52:28 PM
My request is to restart a old project( like the polish plyon or tubular monopoles) you experimented with in 2011. But I won't push it any further if you don't feel like pursuing older projects after that crash. I assume that was disappointing.
Well i was planning that my new improved 150kV set would have the same (or same looking) tubular poles ;)! so thats a request wich probably will be reality :)

Quote from: metarvo on February 26, 2013, 06:00:41 AM
:o

Wow, that's quite a mouthful.  Thanks for the info.  :)  Common isolator configurations for the lines over here include I - I in three rows (for 138 kV), and a two-row configuration with I - I in the top row and IV - VI in the bottom row (for 345 kV).  It's generally always single isolators, though.  Specifications state that the 5° angle pylon for the main double-circuit 345-kV pylon type in my state is sometimes used on straight stretches for long spans, but I've only seen it used this way once, and that one time was only in a Google Street View.  ::)  Many water crossings of these power lines happen to be at power plant lakes, which are designed with islands in place for the pylons.  This negates the need for long spans, since the islands are spaced apart at normal-span distance.  This is a little of a hassle for the fishers and boaters out on these lakes, though.  &Thk/(

Yes like i said holland is really strickt with its rules
Sadly the era of lattice poles is ended here.

This is the future of Hollands powergrid (atleast the 380kV)

MandelSoft

^^ I've made some photographs of those last week (they've constructed such a system only like 1.5 km from my house). I only need to put those photos on my PC...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

metarvo

There's quite a bit of that going on over here, too, but it's by no means a monopole monopoly yet.  Lattice pole construction has decreased here, but it hasn't been phased out.  Because of greater costs, they only resort to monopole structures in most of my state when enough landowners demand it or the extra 90' of right of way would cost so much that the use of monopoles with less ROW would actually be cheaper.  In the former case, I'm sure you can guess who has to pay the extra cost in the end.  ::)

The way I look at it, though, lattice pylons will only be phased out in SC4 when the individual Mayors choose to do so.  This is analogous to the fact that some commercial BATs out there are for retail chains which are now defunct, and yet they still show up in our cities.  In the same manner, there are houses available which have an old-fashioned feel.  So, why should power lines be any different?

FrankU

Maybe we could just keep some of the older power lines as industrial monuments?
I like the new ones!

Buzzit

hey guys.. it has been a while isn't it?

Unfortunately i had yet again a HDD failure but this time my main one.. I never saved any of the SC4 as a back up because i was more focused on my own hobby.. so i simply forgot about it.

Anyway i have a new computer wich is by FAR stronger and faster than my previous one so i expect faster rendering etc.

I started something diffrent now.

i present to you:
the Wind Energy Solutions WES100 windturbine:

I always noticed these little buggers and i think that they would be a nice addition to simcity 4 as a rural power generator.

At the moment i need to learn how to properly texture and i'm going to look into animation so that i will accually spin.

I'm still mostly busy with my main hobby (music production.) but i need to do something else to give my ears a rest and to have a change.

As for powerlines thats on a hold right now. i also think that theres a bigger demand for powerplants then pylons themselves.

Buzzit

Is there any info about animating like the stock maxis windturbine? I thought i read something about that being hardcoded and that it isn't possible to do it that way. If someone can confirm this that would be nice. If thats the case i will try the old fashioned way to animate.

FrankU

Hi Buzzit,

You post in mine, I post in yours....

Great work, althoug I always dislike the windturbines with two blades. Somehow they look ugly to me: like a stick that is rotating. The turbines with three blades appeal far more to my aesthetic points of view.

And the backup issue. You know what to do now, don't you?

Buzzit

Quote from: FrankU on July 09, 2013, 04:18:51 AM
Hi Buzzit,

You post in mine, I post in yours....

Great work, althoug I always dislike the windturbines with two blades. Somehow they look ugly to me: like a stick that is rotating. The turbines with three blades appeal far more to my aesthetic points of view.

And the backup issue. You know what to do now, don't you?

Hehe a donkey doesn't hit his leg to a stone twice now does he? ;)  :D

As for the two-bladed windturbine.
WES (wind energy solutions) is a dutch company wich only produces small (up to 250kW) two-bladed windturbines. I personally like the way that they look. Pretty old fashioned but robust and great for farms and rural areas.(there are quite some dutch farms who own one for their power supply.)

metarvo

Another HDD failure?  It's been a bad year or two for computer trouble, based on a lot of the threads I follow.  I'm sorry you lost all of your work, but at least you got a better computer.

Nice job on the wind turbine, Buzzit.  :thumbsup:  Wind energy is an up-and-coming player in power generation, so more wind options in SC4 are always useful.  I take it these are meant for individual generation rather than huge power companies, right?

Buzzit

Quote from: metarvo on July 09, 2013, 06:21:49 AM
Another HDD failure?  It's been a bad year or two for computer trouble, based on a lot of the threads I follow.  I'm sorry you lost all of your work, but at least you got a better computer.

Nice job on the wind turbine, Buzzit.  :thumbsup:  Wind energy is an up-and-coming player in power generation, so more wind options in SC4 are always useful.  I take it these are meant for individual generation rather than huge power companies, right?

Yes, but the first one was on my laptop and this was my main computer drive wich failed.

Thank you! Next to powerlines i allways liked the windturbines. They aren't a eyesore to me iig.
Yes these turbines are for private use and farms.

If everything works out i might look into some of the bigger ones wich are produced by Enercon, Vestas or Siemens.

But for now Gmax is teasing me again. Everything not related to this model can be textured expect the model it self.  ???
So its back to the oldschool trouble shooting.

Pioneer

Hey buzzit. I just stumbled upon your power line project. Will you possibly be making a complete replacement for the maxis power lines?

Buzzit

Quote from: Pioneer on December 02, 2013, 06:30:21 PM
Hey buzzit. I just stumbled upon your power line project. Will you possibly be making a complete replacement for the maxis power lines?

Thanks for your interest but..
i do not have anything planned in the future though. If i'm really honest with you i don't even know if i ever pick up the project again.
I just don't have the time for it since my motivation and passion is for something else then simcity 4.

Sorry for the dissapointment.

Buzzit

I finally had some time to play around with the bat again.

And i'm trying to figure out how to make buildings disappear on certain zoom levels. But how can i edit this? do i have to do this in the Pim-x or in the Ilives reader? I'm searching through the reader but it don't seem to find anything that has to do with this.

You might wonder why do you want something to dissapear? Well in case of wires it will look alot better. and i only want to show wires on the 2 closest zooms.

Anyone any ideas?

vortext

Quote from: Buzzit on February 13, 2014, 04:39:32 AM
And i'm trying to figure out how to make buildings disappear on certain zoom levels. But how can i edit this? do i have to do this in the Pim-x or in the Ilives reader? I'm searching through the reader but it don't seem to find anything that has to do with this.

In the Reader you want to edit AppearanceZoomsFlag property found in the prop exemplar. Possible values are as follows:

0x00000000 = zoom -none-
0x00000001 = zoom 1
0x00000002 = zoom 2
0x00000003 = zoom 1,2
0x00000004 = zoom 3
0x00000005 = zoom 1,3
0x00000006 = zoom 2,3
0x00000007 = zoom 1,2,3
0x00000008 = zoom 4
0x00000009 = zoom 1,4
0x0000000a = zoom 2,4
0x0000000b = zoom 1,2,4