• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

That's truly incredible!!!I always found those ramp too steep...these one are much more realistic!having such kid of ramps for RHW would be fantastic...even for heavy rail it would be nice and very realistic...I would use more the rail/e-rail transition than I do at moment because I find the current one very unrealistic(if you have a slope mod it looks evident that the ramp is too steep)
Good job SA &apls
Gugu3

Haljackey

Awesome!

No more meticulously sloping bridge approaches to get them to look good! This addition will save a whole wack of time! Great job SA!

mike3775

Quote from: Paul 999 on January 22, 2012, 05:14:43 AM
Wow that smooth ramp! I don't use the current ramps because i don't find it realistic. That new one look so cool i saw deferential use them  :thumbsup:

Believe it or not, I have bridges in my area that have a steep incline like what is in SC4

In fact, one bridge, the highest point of the bridge, isn't even the actual bridge itself, but part of the road.  They had to build it that way to save money and also because the state tried to steal a farmers land adjacent to the bridge, and a state court found that the state's appraisers deliberately under valued the land in an attempt to steal it, thus the state refused to pay fair market value of the land needed to build thew bridge they way they intended, thus came up with the steep incline design they ended up using.

It replaced a wooden one lane bridge that had plagued traffic flow in the area for decades(which I do miss driving that old rickety thing, it was a right of passage when learning to drive if the parents trusted you enough to drive over it  lol)

DAB_City

Is that FlexSPUI-XL or something? I'm loving the new ramps!  &apls &apls &apls
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: DAB_City on January 22, 2012, 12:23:36 PM
Is that FlexSPUI-XL or something?

No. Just an elongated L2 EAVE-4 transition ramp, and that's the only new piece.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Shadow Assassin

Basically, it's the first step towards expanding the flexibility of the existing Elevated viaduct models. One will be done for rail later, but the model is more complex and as I'm not familiar with the Rail models (compared to the RHW/el-road ones anyway). RHW will get the same treatment, it's a quick and painless process. The avenue model on the previous page actually still needs further model tweaks (such as removing extra triangles not needed).
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

ZenMonster

Those ramps are great SA!  &apls  Can't wait to see what else is in the works.

Quote from: FrankU on January 22, 2012, 05:44:41 AM
I have just one comment: I think the first three tiles on both sides should not look like a bridge in the air, but like a massive concrete block or a grass ramp. This is maybe just because of my Dutch background, but a bridge is more expensive than a ramp, so when the elevation is not yet much it's cheaper to do it by an earth ramp or a massive block.

I would say no more than two or three tiles of concrete block. I don't like the look of enormous blocks of concrete, and you can do an earthen embankment with a slope mod. Here in the southern US they often use viaducts from close to the ground, but in the north, where it snows, they tend to use earthworks and concrete abutments more. I'm sure there are a lot of factors, but I know that elevated viaducts get icy much easier than surface pavement and I believe that's why you see more viaducts down here. And since it never snows in Sim City...  ;)

Anyway, I like the look of the elevated viaducts, but in the real world there is usually pavement or gravel below them, not grass. I don't know how that would look in the game though, especially with different terrain mods.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: ZenMonster on January 23, 2012, 04:28:49 PM
I would say no more than two or three tiles of concrete block. I don't like the look of enormous blocks of concrete, and you can do an earthen embankment with a slope mod. Here in the southern US they often use viaducts from close to the ground, but in the north, where it snows, they tend to use earthworks and concrete abutments more. I'm sure there are a lot of factors, but I know that elevated viaducts get icy much easier than surface pavement and I believe that's why you see more viaducts down here. And since it never snows in Sim City...  ;)

Anyway, I like the look of the elevated viaducts, but in the real world there is usually pavement or gravel below them, not grass. I don't know how that would look in the game though, especially with different terrain mods.

Aesthetics, aesthetics,... Functionality ALWAYS comes first.

Also, that's L2, or 15 meters. L1, or 7.5 meters, is planned later on, and it's not as tall, so you can imagine what its ramps would look like.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Shadow Assassin

Yup, they are functional. Plus, the viaduct models are designed such that they can have additional T21 models to decorate them. The NAM team hasn't really done anything along those lines (except for BL's RHW viaduct mod, which proves that it can be done) because there are more important things (like gap-filling with various networks) to do.

[edit]

New Horizons Productions

noahclem

Ooh, that's nice!  &apls  A very, very useful piece!

Shadow Assassin

A night's work has led to this:
New Horizons Productions

jdenm8

Woo! Can't wait to get my hands on those myself.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

noahclem

Is that what I think it is? No, it can't be....  Woo indeed  &dance

io_bg

Are my eyes seeing the L1 overpasses? :o
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

gn_leugim

Wow, nice to see some developments here :)

Just an idea. there is a Japonese Mod that fills the space bellow the viaducts, acording to the wealth/zone of the adjacent cells. Could that be done by the NAM team itself, so all (old and new) pieces would be restyled that way?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: gn_leugim on January 24, 2012, 02:33:45 PM
Could that be done by the NAM team itself, so all (old and new) pieces would be restyled that way?

Not likely; Functionality is higher priority than aesthetics. A NAMite could theoretically do just that, but it would need to be separate and, in this case, one would need permission from the mod maker to do that.

Otherwise, you'd need to somehow consult the maker of that specific mod to see if they're catching up.
<INACTIVE>
-----

metarvo

I see smoke.  SA must be on fire with all of that development!  There will be real diagonal on-slopes and L1 overpasses at last.  Way to go!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: metarvo on January 26, 2012, 06:12:20 AM
I see smoke.  SA must be on fire with all of that development!  There will be real diagonal on-slopes and L1 overpasses at last.  Way to go!

:thumbsup:

Nope, just a lot of time on my hands and a very efficient workflow. :)
New Horizons Productions

gn_leugim

Quote from: gn_leugim on January 24, 2012, 02:33:45 PM
Wow, nice to see some developments here :)

Just an idea. there is a Japonese Mod that fills the space bellow the viaducts, acording to the wealth/zone of the adjacent cells. Could that be done by the NAM team itself, so all (old and new) pieces would be restyled that way?
ok, ty for the reply :)

sepen77

Bravo &apls
Great job. When these come out, I'll sure be using them alot more than the L2 15m ones. They're too tall and don't always look good. Can't wait for L3 and L4 although I would wonder why anyone would need 30m tall roads...
~ Sepen77