• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

City-building strategy game in development - Ostriv

Started by Yevheniy Yermolayiv, October 18, 2016, 10:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yevheniy Yermolayiv

Hey there! My name is Yevheniy and I am developing a city-building game named Ostriv, in wich you build and manage cities in late pre-industrial era. The events take place on a fictional island, where the player despite all troubles has to build a prospering state.

Here are some key features of my game:

– detailed economic simulation and human behavior
There's a strong emphasis on interaction with your citizens. People in game act like people: they have their own motivation, needs and skills. Citizens will take jobs only if they are satisfied with them (or they are desperate). They can sell goods and services to each other on the local market. Wealthy citizens could start their own business in your town and hire other people. You will need to influence your city by means of setting prices, taxes and various policies. Each decision will certainly lead to some reaction of the society.

- trade
You can conduct negotiations with other cities to conclude the most profitable trade agreement.

– transport
For more effective resource transportation inside the town or for outer trade you will need vehicles. Carts and wheelbarrows could be built by a local carpenter or to be bought from outside.
The breeding of draft horses and oxen is also required to move resources as well as for cultivation of fields.

– unrestricted building placement
There's no any kind of grid or angle restriction for placing buildings. Any building could be placed on any angle. Building on slopes is also available.

– roads modeling
Dirt roads are formed in a natural way at places, where people move the most. You can build paved roads for more comfort and better aesthetics, but they'll be used only in case of reasonable placement.

– dynamic seasons change

– a unique visual style inspired by ukrainian architecture and way of life

The game is still in development, so more features are coming. Also the visuals are to be improved as the development goes on.

Would really like to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions about my game!

official website: http://ostrivgame.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ostrivgame/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OstrivGame
IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/ostriv
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OstrivGame/

Now on Steam Greenlight:

EDIT: Vester:Added a width=1024 to the images tags.

Guus Ketelings

Looks good!
Here is some advice: get people to Greenlight it on Steam ;) I would vote for that for sure.

FrankU

Mad_genius

This looks very interesting. I'm definitely following this now.

City building in the pre-industrial era sounds cool, sounds different from what we're used to.

A couple of questions if I may. In the features you've mentioned that "... You can build paved roads for more comfort and better aesthetics, but they'll be used only in case of reasonable placement". Do paved roads give a slight "speed bonus" to travelers? Do they require resources to be built so that the player can't just spam paved roads everywhere?

CasperVg

Looks really interesting! Definitely going to keep an eye on this :) I really like sound of a naturally-forming dirt road system
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Yevheniy Yermolayiv

Quote from: Guus Ketelings on October 18, 2016, 11:15:39 AMget people to Greenlight it on Steam
I still want to improve the visuals closer to the final state, and then it definitely goes to Greenlight.

Quote from: Mad_genius on October 19, 2016, 02:18:02 AM
Do paved roads give a slight "speed bonus" to travelers? Do they require resources to be built so that the player can't just spam paved roads everywhere?
Yes, you will need stone to pave roads. You can also build roads of different quality (depending on stone spent). There's a feature wich makes carts and wheelbarrows wearing out so they need repair. Paved roads reduce their wearout and also give a little speed bonus (mostly in rainy weather).

Yevheniy Yermolayiv

I've made a big gallery update on http://ostrivgame.com
Now all the screenshots are with UI + improved visuals. And also a new devlog: http://ostrivgame.com/big-gallery-update-and-development-progress/

Mandarin(a)

Is this really an animation  :o or is there a little wagon inside my laptop  ;D
This looks so amazing. I was sometimes wondering how it would be to make a full 3D city-building game to suit my desires ... back then, I didn't had the knowledge, now I don't have time. I am so happy some people start projects like this. Everything I can do is sending this message of appreciation and hoping that you succeed. Good luck!

Yevheniy Yermolayiv

Quote from: Mandarin(a) on November 05, 2016, 10:26:16 AM
Is this really an animation  :o or is there a little wagon inside my laptop  ;D
This looks so amazing. I was sometimes wondering how it would be to make a full 3D city-building game to suit my desires ... back then, I didn't had the knowledge, now I don't have time. I am so happy some people start projects like this. Everything I can do is sending this message of appreciation and hoping that you succeed. Good luck!
Thanks! That's really inspiring :)

vortext

Oh wow, I completely missed your initial post, this looks quite amazing and rather promising. Definitely keeping an eye out!!  :thumbsup: &apls &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

vester

Looks really great.  :thumbsup:

So what is your take on custom content ?

kbieniu7

Wow, indeed looks great!  :o What I find interesting there, is the ukrainian architecture an landscape, I really like it  :) Fingers crossed for the project!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Yevheniy Yermolayiv

Thanks for all you kind words! :)

Quote from: vester on November 06, 2016, 05:52:42 AM
I think I'll include map editor some time after initial early access release, then maybe some more tools. But first of all I'd like to add as much as possible in a native way.

Quote from: kbieniu7 on November 06, 2016, 09:02:06 AM
What I find interesting there, is the ukrainian architecture an landscape, I really like it
Yeah, I think developers from around the world should've pay more attention to their local culture and not just making "generic" products. There's a lot of cultures and biomes not yet fully revealed in games.

vortext

Quote from: Yevheniy Yermolayiv on November 06, 2016, 10:26:14 AM
Quote from: vester on November 06, 2016, 05:52:42 AM
I think I'll include map editor some time after initial early access release, then maybe some more tools. But first of all I'd like to add as much as possible in a native way.

Honestly I'd give bit more priority to model import, as building repetition plays a big factor in overall attractiveness of any simulation game imho. Besides I'd be much more inclined to give it a go if I knew upfront it'd be possible to import my own models. Just saying.  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

dcsmycity

I'll be watching this intently and looking forward to its release.

Yevheniy Yermolayiv

Quote from: vortext on November 07, 2016, 09:27:30 AM
Honestly I'd give bit more priority to model import, as building repetition plays a big factor in overall attractiveness of any simulation game imho. Besides I'd be much more inclined to give it a go if I knew upfront it'd be possible to import my own models. Just saying.  ;)
The thing is buildings in Ostriv are not just models. There's a lot of information each building requires to work: ai nodes, navigation, doors, moving parts, detailed construction animation and more. And the way I'm doing all that now wouldn't be so obvious for anyone else, so I'll need to create some sophisticated tools, which takes quite some time. Not that I'm saying modding tools are unnecessary, but the game itself is still the highest priority :)

noahclem

Quite an interesting project! I'd definitely be interested in giving it a try.

Yevheniy Yermolayiv

Okay, so yet another month of development has passed and a lot of new things added to the game. Not that lot to show though, because most of things were about secret inner workings of the simulation, game saving and path finding. But, anyway, my development approach implies never getting stuck on same task for too long to save productivity. So there's a bunch of new buildings and visual improvements to show. You can read more on my site or IndieDB with one of these links:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/ostriv/news/new-buildings-in-ostriv
http://ostrivgame.com/new-buildings-and-visual-improvements/

Here are some of new screenshots:

Don't forget to like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter

Looking forward to hear from you!