• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

Just doing some estimates here...  And I am estimating SAM version 4 will reach approximately 40 mb installed if we just go with those sets that are going to be added.  There is another thing we are working on that will probably add another 12 mb installed and then there is the Pedmalls that will when all sets are filled will add a total of about 20 mb on the low end.

It is looking that Version 4 will be 40 mb installed, (11mb installer).. It could easily become 52 mb installed (15mb installer)..

At the end of the SAM, we are projecting to be somewhere around 80 mb and up installed with an installer being close to 20 mb and up.

YIKES!
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Alfred.Jones

:o

It will be worth it in the end though ()stsfd() ::)

Sim City 4 Devotion

Zack

Very nice work. but I have question. How can I get the StreetSide Mod to work with the SAM. I read the readme but has no info on how to do it though

Zack

Much thanks Tarkus. :thumbsup: and keep on roving that armadillo tank. :P

pilotdaryl

Here's a request for all you SAM modders:
http://www.simtropolis.com/modding/index.cfm?p=details&id=379 This link leads to a download in ST's modds & downloads section.  The street cul-de-sac mod was created on August 29, 2004 and replaces standard street endings with cul-de-sacs.  However, with the recent creation of the SAM, no street end textures were as such based on cul-de-sacs nor was there an option to convert the standard street endings to cul-de-sacs.  I'd like to request this for each of the textures.  I've always been using this mod in my cities and to have cul-de-sacs on SAM endings would be great! ;D
Thanks
-Pilotdaryl

Diggis

Good point Daryl (may I call you daryl?)

I use/used that mod a lot.  I'll take a look.  :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Quote from: pilotdaryl on May 07, 2008, 08:03:54 PM
Here's a request for all you SAM modders:
http://www.simtropolis.com/modding/index.cfm?p=details&id=379 This link leads to a download in ST's modds & downloads section.  The street cul-de-sac mod was created on August 29, 2004 and replaces standard street endings with cul-de-sacs.  However, with the recent creation of the SAM, no street end textures were as such based on cul-de-sacs nor was there an option to convert the standard street endings to cul-de-sacs.  I'd like to request this for each of the textures.  I've always been using this mod in my cities and to have cul-de-sacs on SAM endings would be great! ;D
Thanks
-Pilotdaryl

That's a great idea. If it isn't too much trouble to implement, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this, either!

nerdly_dood

Actually, the red brick streets and the PEG gravel streets are based on the Cul-De-Sac mod.  The others , however, are based on Maxis' rather unrealistic end textures.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jplumbley

Quote from: nerdly_dood on May 08, 2008, 12:32:38 PM
Actually, the red brick streets and the PEG gravel streets are based on the Cul-De-Sac mod.  The others , however, are based on Maxis' rather unrealistic end textures.

Actually... I have to believe you are wrong about the MAXIS texture being "unrealistic"...

In my area atleast Streets do come to a dead end, especially at parks.  But instead of the kerb going right around to the other side at the end... the kerb simply stops at the end of the road and then grass and dirt over time creep up on the end of the street.  Generally on these dead end streets, they have barriers to prevent cars from travelling into the park or where they are not supposed to go.  The barriers are made of a 2x4 or 2x6 piece of wood about 10' in length with a pattern such as:

/ / / / / / / / / / / \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \   

They are painted strips that are alternating Black and Yellow, or Black and Orange.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Tarkus

Quote from: jplumbley on May 08, 2008, 01:09:59 PM
They are painted strips that are alternating Black and Yellow, or Black and Orange.

Actually, here in Oregon, they're always Red and White, except for construction ones, which are Orange and White.  Same basic concept, though.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Swamper77

I have such a model built for my own use, but it has three boards and "Road Closed" signs on it. I've set it to only appear in unzoned areas at the ends of streets and roads. I'll consider making a less robust model with only one board for use in some project of the NAM/SAM.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

wes.janson

They just plop down a couple 3 foot high concrete barriers if a street is dead ended here.

Surprisingly, that is all that is seperating the Canadian/American Border in some residential areas (See: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts). The street keeps going, but this easily walked over/around barrier sits in the middle of it.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

nerdly_dood

Where I live, if they want to end a street without an intersection, they give you either a parking lot which is usually paved with parking space lines, but it may be gravel, or they give you a smallish cul-de-sac like in the mod available from the ST Modds & Downloads section.  Either way, the curb ended, along with the sidewalk, a long time ago because this setup is ususally used in suburban or semirural areas.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

un1

I have one question... Is it worth getting the SAM?? Or is just something if you want you should get...???

Pat

UN1 I thought the same thing about SAM if I should or shouldn't get... You know what I got it during V2 and I will never get rid of it!!!! I love it as it gives your streets that feel and yes I think you should get it!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sffc

Quote from: Pat on May 09, 2008, 05:37:14 PM
UN1 I thought the same thing about SAM if I should or shouldn't get... You know what I got it during V2 and I will never get rid of it!!!! I love it as it gives your streets that feel and yes I think you should get it!!!

I got it in V2 also, but I have to admit that I didn't used it very much :( However, with the diagonal streets and increased number of intersections in V3, I am actually finding myself using it :) I would rank V2 as a 6/10 and V3 as a 9/10.  So, yes, I would definitely get it.  It adds realism to both urban and rural areas.

Diggis

Quote from: un1 on May 09, 2008, 05:29:29 PM
I have one question... Is it worth getting the SAM?? Or is just something if you want you should get...???

I may be biased but why don't you have it already?  $%Grinno$%

RebaLynnTS

To SAM or not to SAM ... SAM adds no extra functionality to the game (at present), but it does add a lot of variety, and helps make the game a little more interesting. I think it is well worth it, considering the price :)
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Cosmic

Variety is GOOD!!! ;D
Just because a game was made (about) 6-7 years ago, doesn't mean it has to be dull and boring! That's basically what this mod does; it breaks up the repetitive, boring look of just solid, plain concrete. A nice touch IMHO. ;D