• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Street Intersection Mod (SIM)

Started by tag_one, December 26, 2008, 08:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tag_one

Hi there,

Since August this year I quietly worked on a new modification, the Street Intersection Mod. It started as a small test to see how something worked and it ended up in a huge project.
In SC4 all street intersection have an American layout with American signs. In an European city these intersection just don't fit. Some members within our community made some new traffic signs which could be plopped next to the streets with the use of empty lots. Plopping them next to every intersection is way too much work imo and it consumes valuable space in dense cities as well. Therefore I started to experiment with adding and replacing traffic signs on intersections. Slowly but surely I changed all the street intersections except for the diagonals.
As this mod purely works with T21 exemplars you can change road and street textures without a problem. With some extra work it now even works on most SAM streets.
Enough text, picture time :)

The project is finished by now and will go to the scrutineers by tomorrow. Hope you like it :)

metarvo

Even though I build American-style cities, I can see some merit in this mod, T1.  Sometimes, IRL smaller American towns, I see a street intersection much like the one in the upper-left corner of your pic, with yield signs for two of the approaches.  Those intersection lines look much like the yield lines we have here in the States.  Most of the intersections here use stop signs, but there are a few that don't.  Good work on the mod, T1.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

j-dub

Awesome mod, even though there is still American references, except for the blue. The yield signs, yield markings, and do not enter/no entry signs are the same in the states.

Meastro444

looks way to Dutch! ;D

nice T1, i allways like your work :thumbsup:
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

nerdly_dood

&apls Not bad, and I appreciate the effort you put into this mod. The only minor problem I can see is at the top of the first image, a "give-way" sign appears to be upside-down... is this just an artifact of the prop-rendering process?

Apart from that, it's just one of those things that is well-made, and is useful and realistic... but not for me. &mmm
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Pat

Hey Tag,
  Wow what a wonderful mod you have made here!!! I love the fact that there is now a choice to choose from... You have given us all a very vaulable choice and thank you for that!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tag_one

That for the comments, I'm glad you all like it :)

nerdly_dood The traffic sign you're talking about is probably a typical European (or maybe even Dutch?) traffic sign. It isn't meant to say 'give way' but the opposite. The sign indicates that you are nearing a intersection where other people have to wait till you passed :)
A RL picture of it:

nerdly_dood

Oh, ok - thanks for clearing that up for me.

I guess I should mention that although the in-game street intersections are supposed to look American, I have never seen crosswalks with yellow stripes, or only a single yellow line across a street intersection... When I used the standard Maxis roads, I had a mod installed with white zebra-stripe road crosswalks, and a wide white stop-bar on street intersections (but now I use the SFBT Euro road mod)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Badsim

I love it , Tag ....  &apls

Not exactely the same signage than the french one ....

.... because there's yet no comon European signage - it will come ... ::)
No matter , it will be a great improvement for European style , and ... we'll have the pleasure to feel  precursory , in our little SC4 world .  :thumbsup:

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

WC_EEND

We have more or less the same signs in Belgium.

This will be extremely helpful for people who build European styled cities
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

FrankU

Yes, this is very nice work.
Especially the amount of traffic signs now is getting more realistic. In real circumstances you find so many signs, it is hard to read them while driving by...
Maybe you make some random signs for restaurants, city halls, shopping centres, etc that will show up next to the traffic signs?

tag_one

Thanks for the comments  :thumbsup: The file is in the hands of the scrutineers now. It will be on the LEX soon  ;)

Pat

Your welcome Tag and I can't wait for the files so I can try it out wooooohooo!!!  &apls &apls &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Wow M. This is a very welcome add-on!  The haaietanden/yield marks will give the streets and roadcrossings a much more realistic look!

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Tag , this is the mod I been waiting for!

Will you also be doing signs for roundabouts in the near future?
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

tag_one

Thanks for all the replies! In the future I will extend this modification and will also make signs for the roundabouts.
For now on you can download the first version from the Lex  :)

MandelSoft

This makes the streets look a lot more realistic (and it's in dutch Style! Nice!  ;))
Lurk mode: ACTIVE