• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bipin's BAT Boutique

Started by Bipin, November 20, 2011, 01:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Graham

Looks good, I love the bridge for that highway, can wait to see more on that aswell. :)
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Bipin

Thanks Aaron, I'm sure you'll also enjoy this if you haven't already seen it over at ST:

When finished, this will be released in addition with my other industrial items.

RickD

Oh, wow. You are a master of textures.  &apls
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Swordmaster

A couple of pages with great new work Bipin. I love most of it. (That modern art thing is. . . well, modern :D)

Interesting concrete road textures. I'm wondering at this point what your take would be on a railroad texture. Did you ever plan to do something in that direction?

Cheers
Willy

Gilikov1994

That highway-project you've got there, i realy love the railing next to the ramps! great for (East) European cities!!!  &apls
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

Bipin

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 17, 2013, 02:55:48 PM
A couple of pages with great new work Bipin. I love most of it. (That modern art thing is. . . well, modern :D)

Interesting concrete road textures. I'm wondering at this point what your take would be on a railroad texture. Did you ever plan to do something in that direction?

Cheers
Willy

Judging by the way I do it, there are just too many pieces to contend with. You can get away with a few basics when it comes to roads, but the need for such a staggering number of rail pieces is just that, a need; one which is absolute and harder to do well when time, attention span, resources etc. allow for a limited number of releases. ;) Besides, I don't want to rain on the RRW's parade. They are doing a fine job; I love their work!

Bipin

Sorry for the double post, but it looks like it's time to revisit an oldie. I hadn't received the most, shall we say "useful" feedback elsewhere, so that's what I'm doing here. ;)

This time around, I tried to create a texture that was more adept to use in zoom five. Let me know what you think! Will it be HD or SD, or a yet another texture?

noahclem

Awesome cooling tower  &apls  Walls look great too  :thumbsup:

rooker1

I like the Cooling Tower as well.
The walls look great too. Is that suppose to be grass and a tree at the base?

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

Bipin

Quote from: rooker1 on November 04, 2013, 09:56:46 AM
I like the Cooling Tower as well.
The walls look great too. Is that suppose to be grass and a tree at the base?

Robin

Correct! The bas relief is intended to mimic grass and trees. The question si though, is this image clear at zoom five, standard definition? Due to the large number of requests, I've decided to keep this as SD.

whatevermind

The one on the lower right is more immediately clear what you're looking at than the lower left, if that's what you're asking. The bigger problem with identifying the trees though is that with the "non-textured" blocks above them, the tree balls can look like they're just a damaged piece of the upper blocks at first glance. I think the scene would benefit from having more white space above the trees. Maybe even a curve cutting across the top of the bas relief that follows the curve of the top of the wall. Above that curve is standard block, below it is art.

Bipin

I had removed the curve; it just got in the way for a lot of applications for this texture. I can, however, add more texture to the upper surface.

APSMS

I did not know that those details were there, and was entirely focused on the upper half. I've never seen that design on those walls before and figured you'd put it under the grunge filter and introduced some wear and tear. I don't know how much it adds (I'd rather have the walls be the same prefab texture throughout, but that is just me), but I still think HD is the way to go, even if the tree details aren't as clear because they are more defined along the rest of the wall.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Bipin

Thanks for the lengthy reply APSMS. Once again, HD or SD?

Let me know what you think!

Pioneer

Huston_N7

I'm goin' for the HD quality. Looks better in both zooms 5 and 6 :)
<a href="http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15523.msg467533#msg467533"></a>
E37 - Ferust System | Violet Nebula
"Blinding Night"
06/09/2013

Swordmaster

Nice walls!

Quote from: Bipin on October 17, 2013, 04:27:31 PM
Quote from: Swordmaster on October 17, 2013, 02:55:48 PM

Cheers
Willy

Judging by the way I do it, there are just too many pieces to contend with. You can get away with a few basics when it comes to roads, but the need for such a staggering number of rail pieces is just that, a need; one which is absolute and harder to do well when time, attention span, resources etc. allow for a limited number of releases. ;) Besides, I don't want to rain on the RRW's parade. They are doing a fine job; I love their work!

Alright (thanks :)), but one could compare it to the default RHW texture versus your dirty, realistic take on it. My rails are cleaner than I'd like them to be, for the purpose of easy bending, rotating etc. I'd like to do a "dirty" retexture of the whole thing at a much later stage, hence why I was wondering.

Cheers
Willy

Bipin

I'd say if you want to make them dirtier, the trick is to make areas of dirt which are very similar to one another, but not exactly the same. Look at it like this; a good concrete bump map for tiling would have a bunch of randomly placed, yet fairly equidistant and similar (size/shape wise) cracks. The addition of one or two large cracks would stand out in tiling, as they are explicit landmarks native to each tile.

Also, from over at SimPEG:

...the smooth look of the SD is excellent and it doesn't lose any of the nice texture details.

This right here is exactly what I was hoping to hear. If a few others from ST and SC4D concur, it'll be SD and I'll have no regrets. Just for clarification though, does this statement apply to the most recent abstract texture and the trees/grass one?

rooker1

I think we could be fine with SD textures for walls.
Call me Robin, please.

APSMS

I know it's pixelated at Z6, but could you show us a picture of the zoom 5 render at the zoom 6 distances. It would help me figure out what I'd be losing at SD. Some bats, like mattb325's, are only standard def, but when viewed super close up, still retain a good degree of clarity, in spite of the evident pixelation.

If your BATs look reasonable at Z6 without the HD textures, I'd be willing to concede the compromise (not that I really have any choice in the matter, but...). SD doesn't necessarily mean Low Quality at zoom, but it's hard to tell with small pictures.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation