• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ploppable Residential Help?

Started by daryl7478, December 31, 2009, 09:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daryl7478

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I need help about commute time. I have plopped residential buildings but it has the 'no job' zot even though I have placed a subway system in my city. I need help about this. I would thank you if you help me :).

wes.janson

Unfortunately ploppable residentials will not work.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

tooheys

wes.jansen is correct, ploppable residential buildings will result in abandonment. However, if you use the extra cheats mod, you should be able to plop most growable residential buildings in your plugins with no problems.

This thread should point you in the right direction http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=9419.0

Dave

daryl7478

Oh thanks! I didn't know that. so that is why my ploppable residentials keep being abandoned even when I put a subway system.

tooheys

There are a lot of factors involved, and I am not the person to explain them. $%Grinno$% This post by Ripplejet might make things a little clearer though:

Quote from: RippleJet on April 02, 2008, 05:04:45 PM
Ploppable Residentials, Functional or not?

Regarding ploppable residentials, please consider this:

The residential capacity reported is depending on desirability factors.
If desirability goes down, and the actual capacity drops below 50%, the building will dilapidate or become abandoned.

The biggest residential desirability factor is the employment. If people can't get employed they usually leave as soon as possible.

Desirability can be increased through other factors, e.g. education, health, land value, park effect, lack of crime, etc.
If you're able to compensate the negative effect of unemployment by these factors, you obviously are able to plop residentials.

Likewise, freight time is a desirability factor for industrials, but not as severe as the unemployment for residentials.
Thus, plopped industrials have a lot better chance of surviving.

For a plopped residential not to abandon right away, the desirability factors must be right when plopping.
That is the reason you have to plop them on top of an existing residential building with a good existing employment.

but...

First of all, even if the desirability is high, the chances are slim that you will get any occupancy in the residential building when you plop it.
Secondly, if you do manage to get an occupancy in it, the chances are still very slim that it would stay occupied for any longer period.

My experience is that it isn't worth the hassle to try to keep the desirability factors high enough for a building where unemployed people live.
Once you for some reason have managed to get a reduced desirability in the area (increased traffic, pollution, crime, etc.),
the building would become abandoned. And once it has abandoned it will never, ever become reoccupied.

Thus, knowing this, I have always said, and will always continue to say, that plopped residentials do not work.
Most people elsewhere wouldn't understand the more subtle explanation given here. ;)

justinrpg

Quote from: tooheys on December 31, 2009, 11:23:35 PM
wes.jansen is correct, ploppable residential buildings will result in abandonment. However, if you use the extra cheats mod, you should be able to plop most growable residential buildings in your plugins with no problems.

This thread should point you in the right direction http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=9419.0

Dave

actually that cheat doesn't matter!!! I just tested it out myself, even plopping growable residential lots using that cheat mod will still result in abandonment... so you were wrong there too... doesn't matter cheat mod or not, plopping residential will always be that way!!!

City Planner

Would it work if you use a blank R$($)($) BUILDING; and than use a residential PROP, will the lot still get abandoned?

jmyers2043

Hi CityPlanner

Quote from: City Planner on August 08, 2011, 05:44:34 PM
Would it work if you use a blank R$($)($) BUILDING; and than use a residential PROP, will the lot still get abandoned?

I assume you mean RalphNinja's blank buildings? These appeared years ago when Maxis introduced the Lot Editor. It was originally thought to be a neat idea and were used by many to make 'creative' lots. But have since proven to be problematic. I don't recommend using them. BTW - residentail plops do not function in the game properly whether they are blank, empty, void, vacant, invisible, imperceptible, unseen, undetectable, real, actual, bona fide, or otherwise.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Flatron

For me, plopped res do work , but only if the demand is high enough.. :)