• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Neo Byzantinian Empire of Stropon

Started by Strechnitz, April 11, 2007, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Awesome mosaic, Strechnitz! :thumbsup: I will wait to the next update...

sebes

Strechnitz revealed....  What a cliffhanger &apls 

As a true soap-diehard I am dieing from curiousity  ()what() and will wait over-excited  %BUd% how this will continue after this unfortunate summer break  :sunny:.

So get yourself a very good new notebook soon, as I am counting on you to shepherd me through the GTST-summer-stop Strech...

&hlp &dance  &hlp &dance  &hlp
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Air6

kwakelaar

What a fantastically beautiful mosaic, I am already chewing off my nails in pure excitement. And like Sebes I am unpatiently awaiting the next update.

Again success with your exams.

A feathered boa, what a great idea &dance

Patriots1228

Awesome CJ!!  my favorite part of the update was when you put the accent mark over not  :P

lol seriously awesome job, the mosiac looks spectacular.

Snaper

Woow ... Excellent work, I love this mosaic  :thumbsup:
It's very spaced, much of greenery ... In short it is splendid  &apls

Emperor Stormont

OMG a fabulous mosaic, I would die to be able to make gardens like those, they set everything off so well.

Simply amazing work.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Krio

This is very monumental MD, but very dry and dead. But the govermental structure and medals are very nicely done. I hope to see more life on the streets, otherwise this will be Osturland's shadow.

Russell

Loving that mosaic, Strechnitz, but where did you get that tiny obelisk? And what is that quaint looking little building at the bottom with the green roof? Looking forward, as always, to your next update.

nova vesfalo

The last update with how the Empire works was stuning ! Love it , and the last pic are great ! Maybe the Invalides's Dome is a bit to close to the parliament :)

Waiting for the next update :)

urban

wow that update is just great I don't know what to say

you have an amazing way to put things together &apls

probably the best tropical forests Pat Riot
the jungle and the seaside resorts are looking spectacular kwakelaar
such stunning and natural tropical sceneries iamgoingtoeatyou
Walker's Island

Strechnitz

Wow, you spoil me with so many comments. I like being spoiled. :)
Time for some replies.

bat Thank you bat, your waiting ends here:)

sebes I'm afraid the new notebook will take a little more time. I am a very difficult consumer ;D but the first Strechnitz update is here to appease you  ;)

air6 Thank you for your compliments and welcome to Stropon air6.

kwakelaar Thank you, my exams are going quite well. And after all the mosaics on this site I could not stay behind now could I?  :D

Patriots1228 welcome and thank you too. I'll put some more accents in my updates then ;)

snaper Thank you snaper. I like to have green and space in  my cities. But I can't get so much atmosphere in my pics than you can :)

belfastuniguy Thank you. I made the garden lots with the LE. when I have my new Notebook I'll try to put them into one pack and put them on the lex. I have 26 palace garden pieces now. And it would be nice if you and others could use them as well :)

bengtThank you. Monumental is one of my favorite words in the dictionary. ;D and the shadow of stropon is a place I will humbly and happily accept.

But I share the complaint that there is little life in my streets. I work on it though. when I have my new notebook you'll see real changes in my pics. On the other hand, The streets of Valtio don't exactly team with life as well or do they? ;)

russelAh the little obelisk. I love that piece. It is a prop made by Pegasus and you can find it on his Alexandria Lighthouse which you can download on his site or Simtrop. The green roofed building can be found on simtrop as well. I don't remember who made it. but If you search for academy, or university you'll find it without problems. :)

nova vesfalo Thank you. I'm glad you like it. The dome is placed there on purpose. It is the Chapel of Peers and is part of the Palace of Peers complex. The entrances are aligned for that purpose. and the Peers of the realm don't like long walks to the chapel. ;D

urbanWelcome to Stropon Urban. And thank you for your compliments.

Well. then it is time for an update don't you think?

Well the holiday in Wörlitzen Badt has been a real treat for you all. The Lord High Treasurer almost got a heart attack when he got the bills for all your expenses there. poor chap. So we continue our tour of Stropon, relaxed and revitalized, we now (finally) go to the imperial capital. the pearl in the crown. the city of glitz and pomp. the little treasure trove of monuments and memorials and....well that's what the Strechnitzians believe at least. It is a big city though, so we'll divide our visit in several parts. today we'll restrain ourselves to the old city inside the walls of Victor Otto II before the 18th and 19th expansions outside the walls. So where is our rotund role model of trivial pursuits? a there she comes

Ah the crisp early morning air in Strechnitz. There is little like it. Don't you agree myra? Of course you do. Ah there are the guests. Good morning all, I'm sorry to keep you waiting, I found a sausage roll under my seat. haha could not resist it, isn't that just lovely? Well. I mis Wörlitzen Badt already...sigh. But the show must go on. does any one of you where we stand now?

Indeed we are inside the sturdy walls of the Imperial Citadel. For centuries this was the center of government and the main imperial residence in Stropon. I have a leaflet with the historical highlights of the citadel here for you all to read. isn't that lovely? citadel leaflet This site has undergone some drastic facelifts through time.

We'll visit both, the cathedral of the Holy annunciation on our left, which is not as old as it appears despite its colourfull domes,

and the older one of the Holy Ascension on our right.

The palace is used as the working place by the emperor nowadays and unfortunately not opened to public. There won't be made any exceptions on that rule for security reasons. After the churches we'll have some time to admire the pavilion which is the sole survivor of the once splendid gardens that surrounded the new Palace.

These symmetric buildings house the ministerial cabinets. In Stropon these are separated from the actual ministries they were built in the eighteenth century. And they show the want for order and perfection in city building of the eighteenth century. This fine white marble monument is erected in memory of Emperor Hector Augustus III who ordered the new palaces of Peers and Representatives to be built on the far sides of the square of Augustus Heraclius. The old renaissance structures that stood here at the base of the hill were demolished so that the Ministerial Cabinets could be built on the site of the old palaces of peers and representatives, freeing space up in the citadel for garden enhancements.

Now let's walk  between the cabinets towards the famous "petition lawn". Here at the base of the Wuustwezel memorial tower, many Lord High Ministers talk to the press. It is a custom of which no one remembers the origins. The name petition lawn is derived from the fact that every petition that is presented to one of the ministers are received here. On most days reporters assemble here to wait for ministers or officials to come and make announcements to the press.

Now let's follow this boulevard towards the bay. Here we see the Palace of the Representatives to your left. This is comparable to the house of commons in Britain but not quite the same. To our right you see the hallowed hall of Great Stroponians. The Great sons and daughters of Stropon who excel in the field of politics, science art or any other area is honored here with a statue or bust to be remembered for the centuries to come. Isn't that a lovely prospect? Let's go inside and have a look shall we? Lovely!

The building is divided in 4 galleries surrounded the central Room. The central Room is reserved for politicians. Unfortunately that one is closed due restoration but we can visit the galleries. They are devoted to military, artists, scientists, and clergy. Ah yes, very delighting indeed. Let's get some fresh air shall we?

We now enter the square of Augustus Heraclius the Great, the founder of Stropon. After he failed to reclaim Constantinople he settled for these lands instead, isn't that lovely? The obelisk is a gift from the Pope to congratulate him with this achievement, Victor Otto I received the gift because poor Augustus died shortly after the victory because of his wounds endured in battle. The rostrum with the gilded statues is one of the oldest still surviving structures surviving in the city. From this podium, declarations of war and peace as well as every new law that comes into effect is announced. From that moment they go in effect. Not sooner and not later. This tradition is still relevant today. The gardens were added later to fill up this vast space.

The Palace of Justice. It is a stern granite structure with an almost unstroponian lack of decoration. Before this was built the judges worked in the open air under a collumnated gallery overlooking the bay. Reminiscent of the courts in old Rome and Constantinople. It houses the High Supreme Court, which is the highest court in the empire In the left wing, and the Constitutional Court in the right wing. This court answers constitutional questions and problems. They also screen new laws and treaties. The central rotunda houses the offices of the Lord High Judges and their staff.

Now if we walk around the Palace of Peers we see the Chapel of Peers. This chapel is mainly used for swearing in new members and other rituals concerning government the proud domed building which forms a harmonious ensemble with the palace of Peers is now unfortunately dwarfed by the towers housing the clerks and secretaries of the Stroponian ministeries.

Here we also have a glimpse of the city walls. This is the Princes Gate with on top 2 howitzers placed there during the First World War to defend the city. Many are disbanded but these are a few of the survivors.

Here we have a view on houses in the old town. People who want to live on the waterfront don't have to fight over the few apartments overlooking the bay. The old town is rich in canals which were used for transport of goods before the Great War. But now they are only used for pleasure and the quays are planted with grass and trees. 

now we are leaving the government district to see some more of the town. To our right we see the imposing Imperial Opera house. The roof is entirely new and brings the 21th century into the heart of the empire. Isn't that lovely? To our left we see a monument of Stropon History. Which nicely contradicts the Opera. This medieval structure houses the Court of Heredity and rank. If you have read the history of Stropon you know what this means. Every dispute between nobles is trialed here. But more importantly it houses the sacred list of rank. This describes in minute detail the place of each noble family from the emperor himself down to the lowest and least important country squire. This list is an invaluable tool in succession matters. Many aristocrats have nightmares about this building.

And here we have the city hall of Strechnitz. Here is where the Lord Mayor and his council of Regents reside and govern the city from. This gothic revival city hall is by far the largest of the Empire. Isn't that lovely? Lord Mayor Fricken thinks so! It stands opposite the gothic Saint Judas cathedral.

This cathedral is used for Imperial funerary services. The Emperors are buried in the Church of holy wisdom but that is way too small for all the guests and prelates attending the funeral. So that is all performed heresince the 16th century.

Another special church in Strechnitz is the Church of the Holy Ghost. This neo classical building is the successor of the original Romanesque church. Legend has it that one of the flames of the Holy Ghost was preserved miraculously and that it was buried underneath the crypt of the old Romanesque church. The reliquary is said to be exhumated and enshrined in the chapel crypt. Sinners who repent come here in hope of forgiveness. The interior of the church is dark and black caused by the smoke and soot deposited by the enormous amount of votive candles burnt for this relic. The original church burnt down, but that won't surprise you all I guess?

If you think that Strechnitz only has opera to offer than you are wrong. Two very important 18th century temples of the art stand here around the square of Apollo the smaller domed structure is the Imperial Ballet theatre and it's bigger brother is the 'Opera Comique' dedicated to theatre. The Strechnitz concert hall stands outside the walls and will be visited in our next tour. 

Ah here we enter the Westerreich District. A true hot spot at the moment. Where everybody who is somebody in Stropon would like to own a house in. As you can see it has a lovely view on the magnificent citadel towering over the skyline. Many famous Stroponians live here which give the nightlife here a very mundane atmosphere. To our right we see the Trompeum. This building is the traditional residence of the Lord Mayor. It is somewhat small but don't pity the man. His country estate is as large as the entire block.

As you can see the architecture of the Westerreich District is largely influenced by the French style. In spite of the general appearance of Stroponian settlements. This is caused because of the influx of the French who left France controlled Europe of Napoleon and settled here. It was the plan of Napoleon to crush Stropon after he had defeated Russia to complete his dream of a Pan-European Empire. Fortunately for the Stroponian generals the Russian campaign ended in disaster for napoleon and his Grand Armee which caused him to retreat and forget his plans of invading Stropon.

Ah the cathedral of Saint Simeon. A beautiful example of classicism and the Stroponian fetish for domes and cupolas this church is the chapel of the permanent ambassadorial delegation of his most Illustrious Highness, the Supreme Grand Prelate of Simeon. They are his eyes and ears in the Capital making sure that he is well informed of the steps and plans of the Emperor and his government. Don't look all surprised. The emperor has a similar delegation in Simeonopole to make sure the Supreme grand Prelate and his college of Arch prelates don't change the scripture and such. Ha ha. Oh gosh! Look at the time!!! It is time for dinner!. We must find a restaurant at once! Myra quick! Food woman, I'm famished. We are all famished!!!

Well here end's part one of the Strechnitz tour. I hope you all will enjoy it. Next time we'll venture outside the walls of the old city to see more of this complacent capital.

Strechnitz.

bat

That's another beautiful big update, Strechnitz! Great work! :thumbsup:

rooker1

Great work on this one.  I like the mix of RL pics and in game pics.  Awesome work on the city layout as well.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

sebes

Wow - Strechnitz is a beautiful city! The Porkie and Xannepan buildings fit very well in and give it a great atmosphere. are doing great. The picture with the monument for Hector August III and the surrounding ministrial cabinets is absolute my favourite: it reflectst the great style and flair that the Stroponian capital has.  &apls

This update deserves the big pink dancing guy:  &dance
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

kwakelaar

Wow Strech what a gigantic update...again, and me thinking you were busy with your exams. :D

Let me first begin with the Citadel, I took a look at the leaflet, which to my surprise contained updates that I had not seen before. History and then architectural history is a favourite of mine so I thoroughly enjoyed following the development of the citadel through the centuries.
The first castle looks great and you have explored almost all possibilites with the castle set here. I am working on a new tower for you by the way.
Again your baroque gardens are beautifully made. Funny to see that the bedroom window of the emperor was the starting point for the whole design of the garden.

In the new update there are so many things to see. I think your capital city is looking splendid. It is truely European in atmosphere, although there are buildings that are not. But the layout of streets, avenues and squares show that this is a city of the old world. The use of Jeronji's new canals works great in amongst the old buildings.
Of the different parts of Strechnitz I think the w2w areas are your strongest and most original images. It is so nice to see that you have been able to use almost any building (style or age) and you can still let me belive that this is an European capital.

I love some of the small details I see around, like the horserider in the corner of the square of the St Judas Cathedral, and the small house in between the big w2w along the waterfront.

A great update and well worth the wait. &apls

Russell

Very handsome update indeed, especially the old town and the square of Augustus Heraclius the Great.  &apls And thank you for telling me where I could find the items I asked about earlier  :)

Emperor Stormont

Simply beautiful work, another fabulous update and great to see Christine again......lovely....

I would love to use the palace gardens, I'm thinking of developing a wonderful new imperial palace and those would set things off perfectly.

I await yet more eye candy from Stropon

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Snaper

It's wonderful ... I love all your images ... Very good work  &apls

Bravo for your beautiful city  &apls

Pat

Stretch wonderful update here indeed great work!!!! 
The castle is just amazing wow...  i will be seeing you soon - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie