• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CTD with BLS Industrial Wharves

Started by Rady, October 23, 2009, 02:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rady

Hi,
I installed the BLS Industrial Wharves from the LEX DVD recently. Whenever I place them in my city, I experience CTDs. I first thought that the CTDs where caused by to much of a combination of different custom stuff, since I was using PEGs CDK3, Seaports and so on with lots of other seaport related stuff.

Today I started to create "lot samplers" (pictures of all lots of a given plugin). For that reason I started an empty city and placed the lots. When I did so for the BLS Industrial Wharves, after plopping the second lot I got an CTD. I tried once again - empty tile, only two BLS lots - CTD.

Has anybody experienced the same problems?
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

RippleJet

Quote from: Rady on October 23, 2009, 02:07:32 PM
Has anybody experienced the same problems?

Yes, CTD's happen with eye-candy seaports (which appear in the seaport menu) and eye-candy airports (which appear in the airport menu), if you do have or if you have had a port controller in your plugins, without having all supported ports in your plugins.

For seaports, this may happen if you have any of the following files anywhere in your plugins:

PEG_Master-Seaport-Controller*.dat
PEG_3x5_CSK2_Port-Small*.dat
zPEG_3x5_CSK2_Port-Small_205f.dat
PEG-CDK3_10x5_Container Port*.dat
PEG-CDK3-SP_Break-Bulk_SeaPort*.dat
PEG-CDK3-SP_Pier-Seaport*.dat
PEG-CDK_Seaport_1*.dat
z_SW77-Seaport*.dat

Search your plugins for those and tell me what you've found.
If you want simplify this, you can save this list in a TXT file and open it in Cleanitol. ;)

More information on the subject can be found here:

Rady

Ok, here's the results:

This files have been found:
PEG-CDK3-SP_Pier-Seaport_101.dat
PEG_Master-Seaport-Controller_105.dat
PEG_3x5_CSK2_Port-Small_SW77_205f.dat
PEG-CDK3-SP_Break-Bulk_SeaPort_110.dat
PEG-CDK3_10x5_Container Port_110.dat

This files aren't on my PC:
PEG-CDK_Seaport_1*.dat  not present
z_SW77-Seaport*.dat  not present

Since I use the DAMN, these files are in the "zzz_DAMN Remove" folder:
PEG-CDK3-SP_Break-Bulk_SeaPort_110.dat
PEG-CDK3-SP_Pier-Seaport_101.dat

I tried to get the point of what has been the conclusion of the "BRT-WIMP Crash to Desktop" thread but must admit it only left me confused ...

Before installing all these custom seaports I read the readmes's and I understand you must not have different port controller files in your game.

So what's the next step to do? Is the conclusion that the BTR-WIMPS are not supported by PEG's seaport controller an I need to remove this plugin?

Thanks
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

SC4BOY

The bottom line is you can do what you can to isolate what  is the problem on YOUR plugins file.. The real reason for the crashes is WE DON"T KNOW... so its no wonder you came away "confused".. there is  no inference to be drawn... Some combinations of things just don't play well together in a given plugin with a given history.. Find out what is the combination for your setup and make decisions as to which parts are important to you and leave out the others on your current map. In my case I left out the WIMP lots and won't use them on that map set any more.. However in the next one I may.. NOTE that in my next map without the history of the current one, it may be perfectly ok for the lots to be combined.. it would be nice if we knew the real causes. Who knows.. as we accumulate enough cases  like these, some bright fellow may find the key.

Rady

Quote from: SC4BOY on October 24, 2009, 05:42:42 AM
The real reason for the crashes is WE DON"T KNOW... so its no wonder you came away "confused".. there is  no inference to be drawn...

At least that leaves me with the warm feeling that obviously I did get the point of that thread  :D

Thanks!

RippleJet

Quote from: Rady on October 24, 2009, 04:15:02 AM

Those seaports are more than four years old, and especially the former one of those hasn't been available for ages.
That would indicate that you've had at least one of those files long before you installed Peg's Master Seaport Controller.

Quote from: Rady on October 24, 2009, 04:15:02 AM
So what's the next step to do? Is the conclusion that the BTR-WIMPS are not supported by PEG's seaport controller an I need to remove this plugin?

Eye-candy seaport lots by themselves are never the cause of CTD's.
The cause of port related CTD's can always be explained by one of the following:

• Having a master seaport controller supporting additional seaports, but not having all individual seaport controllers installed
  • Having individual seaport controllers installed which are not supported by the master seaport controller
  • Having a functional seaport installed without having its individual seaport controller

If at any time while playing your city one of those conditions has occurred, you will sooner or later (rather sooner) experience a CTD.
And that may happen regardless of whether you plop or bulldoze a functional port, a less functional port or a well modded eye-candy port.

Those two CSK2 files I quoted above each include a master seaport controller supporting 13 individual seaports.
However, only one of those individual seaport controllers is included (the one for the CSK2 Small Port).

All those 6 files you found on your hard disk contain individual seaport controllers and (in four cases) master seaport controllers supporting different numbers of individual seaport controllers.
Since I do not know in which order you've installed them, whether you've always had all those same 6 files installed, and in which order you may have plopped functional seaports or eye-candy seaports between those installations, I cannot either explain which step was the one leading to your CTD.

Quote from: SC4BOY on October 24, 2009, 05:42:42 AM
Who knows.. as we accumulate enough cases  like these, some bright fellow may find the key.

I'd say the key was found more than a year ago.

I'm probably not the right person to evaluate whether that bears any significance, but since the BSC Functional Seaports and the AC Functional Airports were released we haven't had a single reported CTD involving one of those close to 200 included functional ports or any eye-candy ports used in conjunction with them.

Maybe, just maybe, it is related to two facts:

• We include Cleanitol files with proper instructions on how to remove all older, incompatible port controllers.
  • We include the master port controller, all supported individual port controllers and all individual port lots in one single file.
    Thus reducing the risk that a player would be able to install or uninstall only parts of the required total package.

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Rady

Quote from: RippleJet on October 24, 2009, 03:24:27 PM
Those seaports are more than four years old, and especially the former one of those hasn't been available for ages.
That would indicate that you've had at least one of those files long before you installed Peg's Master Seaport Controller.

Hmmmm ... I wouldn't think so, 'cause I really studied the forum and the readme's in advance of installing PEG's functional seaports. On the other hand .. I suppose your knowledge of this game outplays my remeberance ..  so most likely you're right  ;)

Quote from: RippleJet on October 24, 2009, 03:24:27 PM
The cause of port related CTD's can always be explained by one of the following:

• Having a master seaport controller supporting additional seaports, but not having all individual seaport controllers installed
  • Having individual seaport controllers installed which are not supported by the master seaport controller
  • Having a functional seaport installed without having its individual seaport controller

Thanks ... I wasn't aware that there's not only a master seaport controller, but also a seaport controller for each port file.

Level of confusion is rising   ??? ??? ??? .. try to cope with that.

Basically I thought:

• the game ships with an Maxis seaport controller.
  • once you install custom seaports, you need to get rid of the orignal seaport controller in exchange for the custom seaport controller (PEG's one in my case)
  • any of PEG's functional seaport lots would then be supported by this one master seaport controller.

So I didn't hesitate when downloading more functional seaports from Pegasus. But if I get you right then I need to install all of the individual seaport controllers that are supported by PEG's master seaport controller. In that case I would end this thread here an move ver to PEG's site 'cause I have no idea what I need to download in that case (except form the seaport files, which I already have). As I said, I wasn't aware there was such a thing like an "individual seaport controller" ...  ()what() ()what()

Obviously the other solution would be to change to the BSC Functional Seaport set ... I will go have a look for that. Didn't so far 'cause I had no problems with PEG's stuff. But will check now.
Thanks!!