• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to make Mosaics - by ilikehotdogsalot

Started by iamgoingtoeatyou, April 03, 2007, 01:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamgoingtoeatyou

HOW TO MAKE A MOSAIC

Step 1: Open up your Simcity 4 game, and choose a city and area you wish to photograph.

Step 2: Open up photoshop and create a 1024 X 5000 pixel document, the height of the document can be larger if you decide you want to take many pictures.

Step 3: Next, Photograph the area in Simcity by using the

Prt Scr SysRq Key

located on your keyboard, this key photographs the entire screen. Make sure to have the Pause off and the menu hidden :)

Step 4: Now that you have taken your first picture, Paste it into your photoshop document, do this by pressing CTRL and V at the same time.

Congratulations! You have successfully taken your first picture!

Step 5: Head back into Simcity to take another picture. To do this correctly, Only move your arrow keys up or down so that it lines up with your last picture, Donot move them left or right or else your pictures will NOT allign! Try your best not to go too far up or down or else your picture will not allign with the first, Use your judgement, If you make a mistake, Just go back and try to take the picture again.

Step 6: Now that you have taken your second picture correctly, Paste it into photoshop, do this by pressing CTRL and V at the same time.

Congratulations! You now have correctly done 2 pictures for your mosaic! If you wish to do more, Repeat the steps above, I will do one more picture to complete the mosaic.

Step 7: We now have all the pictures pasted and ready to go in photoshop, they are all seperate layers [ie: picture 1 is layer 1, picture 2 is layer 2, and picture 3 is layer 3]

We are now going to allign Layer 1 and 2 [pictures 1 and 2] to create the mosaic affect.

Step 8: Select the cursor tool and select layer 2, I have highlighted them in red.

Step 9: Drag layer 2 [picture 2] so it alligns perfectly with layer 1 [picture 1], You can also use the arrow keys.

They're alligned! Hurray! Congratulations! If they didn't allign well, Try the above steps again.

Repeat these above steps with layer 3 [picture 3] and you've created your first mosaic!

But this is where it gets tricky, so pay attention!

Step 10: Now that everything is alligned and your mosaic is ready, Select the rectangular marquee tool and marquee all the pictures > Then go to Edit> Copy Merged, This copies all the layers into one.

Step 11: Open a new document

Step 12: Paste all the mosaic by pressing CRTL and V at the same time.

There! Now for the final steps, We are going to break up the mosaics into 800 x 600 images...

Step 13: Press CRTL and R at the same time, You should notice a ruler appear, I highlighted it in red.

Step 14: Select the Marquee tool, at the top you should see Style: [drop down menu]...Go into the drop down menu and select FIXED SIZE. The Height and Width Bar should open up by now, Insert 800 x 600 px, I highlighted in red for you :)

Step 15: Go to Image > Image Size...You should see a popup come, This is where you change the image size, Change the Width to 800, however, Keep the Height the way it is.

There, your picture is now resized! This is the stage where you can edit your picture, add borders, etc, I'll leave the picture alone and move on to the next step.

Step 16: Select the Rectangular Marquee tool again, Now if you click anywhere in the picture, You will notice a marquee box will be created, The box is 800 x 600, This is a guide to help you seperate the mosaic into different images.

Step 17: Now go to Edit > copy, This will copy the image, Open up a new document and select CRTL and V at the same time to paste the image.

Your image will now be pasted!

Step 18: Go back to the mosaic document.

Step 19: Remember that ruler I was talking about earlier? Well, Click on it and hold your mouse and drag down, This will bring up a marquee line, This line was made to know where you last left so that your images allign when you upload them. Drag down the line to the bottom of the marquee box and let go.

Once you let go, There will be a blue line, This is to help you decide where to put your next marquee box.

Step 20: Now repeat repeat steps 16-20 to seperate all your pictures in the mosaic, You are now finished!

All you have to do is save each picture document and upload the pictures into a picture hoster imageshack.us/photobucket.com or flickr.com...

To post them on simtropolis or other websites:

YOU'RE DONE! You did your first mosaic, Congratulations!

If your confused or have any questions, Please don't hesitate to ask!

I hope you found this article helpful :)

wouanagaine

Good one  :thumbsup:

here on SC4D we are post mosaic in one picture, no need to make multiple 800x600 pic ( the most boring task so far )
just post your mosaic picture, refrain yourself to prevent the other members to have to wait 5 mins to load your pic

from forum rules:
You can post any dimension image and video files. However the files must be hosted off site. Direct file upload to this site is severely restricted. Also a maximum width of 1024 pixels is highly recommended ( but not mandatory) to keep a balanced monitor view in most of the members' computers.

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

KANE

Nice tutorial  :thumbsup:. Will this work with The Gimp 2.2 as well?

"If you find yourself locked in a fair fight then you haven't planned it correctly" -Colonel Kila Wallace of the Royal Marines

iamgoingtoeatyou

Thank you! I'm not sure if this will work with GIMP because I have never used the program before. I used Photoshop CS2 while making this tutorial.

thundercrack83

Fantastic tutorial, my friend! You've definitely made making a mosaic seem a lot easier!