• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mackay... or, The Real Australia

Started by adroman, October 18, 2009, 03:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calibanX

A very nice airport. I would love to see a birds-eye view of the runways.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

dobdriver

Gawd Adrian those plane skins are fab.

The Metro, flying bloody pencil them things are. Little wings, big engines and skinny as a whip snake. Mind you they are quite fast in the air. Are you going to bat the Mackay terminal?

Take it easy
dobdriver

thingfishs

"flying bloody pencil them things are. Little wings, big engines and skinny as a whip snake."

that's some ripper bloody vernacular that is...  ;)

Tomas Neto

Really fantastic airport!!! Great!!!  :thumbsup:

sumwonyuno

Great job on the airport.  What is that statue in front of it?

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

Nanami

newsimaddict

Don't forget to take it slow! Last time I went through Mackay airport, it took an hour to get my bag off the plane! LOL
Great work here on a serious note. Someone else suggested if possible an overview of the airport, well that'd would be awesome (as well as the marina)! If anyone has not seen a pic of the marina wall at mackay, it rocks. my friend that i was visiting said that cars got washed off the road from big-ish waves?

Keep it up! (and so watching the new aussie team section :))

adroman

Why, I think it's been 5 days... time for an update!

But, first things first... I've always hated that phrase...

joelyboy911 ~ Why thank you, my friend... and, we'll get to an overview soon  ;)

thingfishs ~ Thanks, my friend! The whole airport (excluding planes) can be found here, here, here and here.

Earth quake ~ Thanks, my friend! I'm glad you like it...  :)

Battlecat ~ Thank you, my friend! I will be doing alot with that Tug Boat very shortly, Perhaps a Harbour update?

Schulmanator ~ Thank you, my friend! I'm glad too  :P

Driftmaster07 ~ Shhh! Before anyone else sees  ::), I was going to fix it, but LE was being a tad unresponsive... So, I'm switching to PIMX soon... thanks for your interest!

danielcote ~ Thanks Dan! Glad you liked it  ;)

Bobbi ~ Thanks Bobbi! I'll see you around...

scott1964 ~ Thanks Scott! I'm glad you like my work  ()stsfd()

calibanX ~ Thanks, Geoff! I'll have an overview one day...

dobdriver ~ Thanks dob... Hehe, your lingo is impressive, I'll give you that  :P... and as for the BAT, I'm one step ahead  ;) I've already started to BAT it...

thingfishs ~ Hello, again!

Tomas Neto ~ Thanks, Tomas! I'm glad that so many people liked it...   ;D

sumwonyuno ~ Thanks, my friend... and that Statue isn't there in real life (actually, that's where you pay the parking ticket  :P) but, I think it's a prop from one of the BSC Park sets.

976 ~ Thank you, my friend!

newsimaddict ~ Heh, why rush? An hour is nothing compared to Tiger's delay times  :P... Thanks, I'll get the overview shot... and, I was planning on doing the Marina very shortly. Yes, the Breakwater can get pretty violent during Cyclone season... I hope you drop in again soon, and thanks for your interest in the team!

Well, today we head into town....
...The boys are back in town

Spread the word around
Guess who's back in town

You spread the word around

Friday night they'll be dressed to kill
Down at Dino's bar and grill
The drink will flow and blood will spill
And if the boys want to fight, you'd better let them

That jukebox in the corner blasting out my favorite song
The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long
Won't be long till summer comes
Now that the boys are here again

The boys are back in town!

Alright, alright, I'll stop singing  :P

Now, we're visiting East Mackay today, which means beaches and sprawl... East Mackay is rich in history, past and present. You will notice a large varitation in the housing, from Mattb325's early 20th Century and more modern Estate-esque houses. These represent the way that Mackay-ites are frequently changing their minds about what to build. East Mackay is a more affluent area with a few lower-wealth housing patches slotted in.

Despite the fact we're having 30oC Days, the beach is a no-go really, due to the presence of Marine Stingers that appear in our waters in September through April.
By the way, I actually went to this beach for inspiration... I'd like to think I captured the foreshore nicely.

A walkway that runs through the area; the old Walkway is crumbling in many parts, because of underuse, ergo, underfunding... A cluster of Driftwood, a large cluster at that.

That same path approaching the Beachside suburbs.

The "Quota Park" Carpark, at the end of Shakespeare Street. Quota Park is the reserve that runs along the foreshore, that divides Suburbia from the sand.

A little Estate complex that has both styles of Housing from this area.

Victoria Park State School and the long standing sprawl along side it.

East Mackay's shopping strip, it's not the most attractive complex... but it serves its purpose.

That's all the pictures I have for you today, I'll have some more soon... I promise.

Now, Mackay has been inducted in the League of Nations, the League is very interesting and I look forward to interacting in the community. While the League is primarily Role-Playing, my style will not change, though you will see signs of the League around town  ;)

Also, I'll be working hard on a few projects: Joel and my 737 Project and on my BAT work in Team Downunder

...Best wishes for the Festive Season!...

Havva good one,
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

Battlecat

Excellent update!  You've done a great job on that foreshore!  The town itself looks great as well, although traffic looks a bit crazy! 

In your 5th shot, the left side of the street has a lovely collection of homes with split rail style fences.  Where did you track those down?

Tomas Neto

Nice suburbs my friend, and a great landscape too!!! Fantastic update!!!  :thumbsup:

calibanX

Glad to hear Mackay has been inducted into the League of Nations. That sounds quite interesting. Excellent foreshore as well. Going to the beach to do research sounds like awful and tedious work. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience  :thumbsup:

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

ecoba

Really a lovely way to represent the beach shore; It's too bad you can't go swimming there. (Or wouldn't, I should say.) That certainly is a nice variety of housing there. Are those Matt (Mattb325) and Jen (jen_p)'s homes only? If so they certainly go a long way, or are there some CSXs in there?  ???

I like that parking bay at the end of Shakespeare street. And you have a good variety of commercial BATs, does Australian commercial buildings look that much like rural american buidings? My uncle, who's been to Australia, (not Mackay though, but North Brisbane) says that there are a lot of similarities between Australia and the US. Hmm...

Ethan

Bobbi

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

scott1964

How much for some seaside property?  :P $%Grinno$%

Nanami

sumwonyuno

The southern-facing beaches here are invaded by jellyfish once a month, about 11 days after the full moon.

Your beach in SimCity looks safe  :P

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

Delecto

adroman

It's been a busy week, but I do have something to brighten your day  :P...

Replies
No fancy banner today... Unfortunately

Battlecat ~ Thanks my friend! Yes, our traffic is a bit...hectic...  :P And those houses are by Thesdale and are available on the STEX (the links to each pack can be found HERE)

Tomas Neto ~ Thanks, Tomas! I'm glad you liked it...

Geoff (calibanX) ~ Oh the sacrafices you need to make to keep up an MD  $%Grinno$% Thanks for your support, my friend!

Ethan (ecoba) ~ Thank you, my friend! You can go swimming, I just wouldn't recommend it ;)... Yes, I use Mattb325, Jen_P and Thesdale's sets in my updates, they're excellent sets and a must-have for anyone planning to build an Australia city! And yes, we share many similarities to US shops, particularly in the way of W2W... Thanks for your comment  :thumbsup:

Bobbi ~ Thanks, my friend!

scott1964  ~ How much you got?  :P Thanks for your comment, my friend!

976 ~ Thanks my friend!

sumwonyuno ~ Ah, fair enough... Mackay (and most of the Queensland coast) get them badly because of the Great Barrier Reef... Looks can be deceiving  ::) Thanks for you interest!

Delecto ~ Thank you, my friend!

...Forget "tea time", it's TEASER TIME...  :D

Today we visit Baker's Creek... The town, like so many in the Mackay region, rides on the back of the Sugar and Mining industries. However, Baker's Creek is also home to "Borthwick's Meat Processing Plant" that employs many within the township.

Baker's Creek is also significant as it is the site of Australia's Worst Aviation disaster. A USAAF B-17 crashed in the area on the 14th of June, 1943. Mackay was set up as a major base for the Allied forces in the area, while not strategically important, the region provided an "R&R" center for the servicemen and women fighting in New Guinea and South East Asia. The B-17 crashed after taking off from Mackay en-route to New Guinea carrying 35 passengers and 6 crew. Only one on board the plane survived.

Today a memorial park exists to honour the victims of the accident, but that will be shown in our next update.

Just a bit of a farm I made using SFBT's new farm house, which I absolutely adore!

The rail and road bridges crossing Baker's Creek itself... the Railway goes under the road like that in real life to.

The Bruce Highway along side "Dundula" (North Baker's Creek). You can see the Black Springs Golf Course in the background.

The centre of the Township... Showing the Bruce Highway once again. (oh yes, that isn't the Meat plant, just an industrial that I thought looked rather good there...)

You might notice a few different things in this update, the new Flora set I'll be using... and perhaps the new houses?

the new houses are apart of the ITC's wonderful Suburban Set... something that I'm Beta Testing.... it's  wonderful! You'll want to redo everyone of your suburbs, trust me...  :thumbsup:

I'll have the full update shortly...

Havva good one,
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

ecoba

Wow, I really like all the bridge work in this update. Lots of transportation networks going everywhere. Those twin bridges crossing the river, and then the road being a lot higher really is interesting.

Could we maybe see a region shot soon? To figure out where everything is in relation to everything else...?

Thanks,

Ethan