• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Gmax Loft tool

Started by RadicalOne, September 01, 2009, 08:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadicalOne

Whenever I use Gmax's loft tool, only the backfaces will draw on the resulting shape.  ??? Why is this?

jmyers2043

At Radical - I can't picture what you're question is in my mind.  ()what()

I call this FUN with the LOFT TOOL.   

I drew a circle 20 meters radius. Then found an interesting shape (an Omega). I went to the create tab, selected geometry, then used the pull down menu to select 'compound objects'. Then selected loft. Then picked the circle and called it 'get path' ...  I then selected the omega shape and clicked 'get shape'

Results:

Obviously a good texture helps. High Tech Industry anyone?? It took me 5 minutes whereas it would have taken forever modeling each section, brace, etc. . .

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

RadicalOne

Quote from: jmyers2043 on September 01, 2009, 07:23:51 PM
At Radical - I can't picture what you're question is in my mind.  ()what()
When I lofted a shape, only the interior faces would draw. This made for a rather odd-looking model. I have a workaround, but I still am curious why it is doing this in the first place.

QuoteI drew a circle 20 meters radius. Then found an interesting shape (an Omega). I went to the create tab, selected geometry, then used the pull down menu to select 'compound objects'. Then selected loft. Then picked the circle and called it 'get path' ...  I then selected the omega shape and clicked 'get shape' Obviously a good texture helps. High Tech Industry anyone?? It took me 5 minutes whereas it would have taken forever modeling each section, brace, etc. . .
Oh, you have given me some excellent ideas.

vester

Could you post a picture of it ?

callagrafx

It's highly possible the cross section shape was oriented incorrectly causing mesh problems on corners, so when it changes direction it crosses over itself.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

RadicalOne

Quote from: callagrafx on September 02, 2009, 02:39:01 AM
It's highly possible the cross section shape was oriented incorrectly causing mesh problems on corners, so when it changes direction it crosses over itself.
You are probably right.