• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Osturland

Started by Yoder7652, March 31, 2007, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor Stormont

A diplomatic dispatch from the Imperial Kingdom of Atlantis

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Yoder7652

A have a short update today of one interesting area in the Payens Capital...but first, some replies  ;D

@Belfastuniguy - Glad you liked the annoucement and my attempt at a simlympic logo. The stadium will be revealed in time  :P Thanks for the congrats on becoming a classic...I'm honored. By the way, I have posted a reply for diplomatic relations with Atlantis in your MD. Thanks for stopping by and commenting as always.

@Strechnitz - Thanks...the stadium has been done for some time, but I just haven't gotten around to showcasing it of the other sports facilities in that complex...all in due time  ;D Thanks for the congrats on the promotion! Glad to hear that Stropon is backing the bid!  :D :D you already signed with your post!  :D :D Thanks again for visiting!

@Fledder200 - You have missed alot!! Glad you're catching up now. ;D :D Well it pleases me to hear you liked the updates you missed, including the airport...I hope I win the simlympics too! Thanks for stopping by and commenting...don't be a stranger now  ;)

@Mattb325 - Matt...I'm glad to see you back! You have missed alot! Glad to hear you liked the Jubilee coverage...that has been one of my favorites in this MD so far. Be sure to not stay away so long next time!  ;D :D

@Patfirefghtr - Your eyes do not decieve you Pat...I'm working on a simlympics bid that should be ready in the coming weeks (don't worry I'll be in before the deadline). I've created many new bats just for the simlympics bid, so hopefully the simlympics committee will like them (with my organization, of course) enough to entrust Payens with the bid...as always, thanks for commenting!

@Bat - Thanks bat, glad you liked the newspaper and teaser shot of the stadium! Thanks for commenting and keeping up with Osturland!

@Thundercrack83 - Glad you liked the paper and bid announcement...thanks for the encouragement with the bid, stay tuned in the coming weeks for the official bid. As always, thanks for stopping by.

@Russell - Well I'm glad you were able to get some words together to comment  ;D :D I truely appreciate it when the readers leave a note telling me what they like or didn't like...it give me encouragement and helps me figure out what to continue or try new...anyways, thanks for stopping by!

@Pipishere - Thanks Pip! Glad you liked the paper....thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Well everyone, I had hoped to bring you a big update, but alas...I'm trying to get everything finished on the simlympic bid and still have several bats to render (a few to finsish creating). So I haven't been playing simcity 4 as much as I had hoped, thus not a proper update today. I figure I still have a week and a half before I get the simlympic update ready, so this might be the last update until Payens simlympic bid is all finished. Anyways, I thought I would showcase a part of town in the 7th Ward of Payens. Creating this area was a plop-a-polooza for me. I tend to not do much plopping (particularly with residentials), but I did for this area and the major skyscrapers of Payens (which we'll see in later updates). The location in question is called Baudinard Circus and is one of the most popular tourist areas in Payens. It is the Payens equivalent of London's Piccadilly Circus or New York's Times Square. The circus is named for Peter M. Baudinard (a statue of his likeness is in the middle of the central roundabout) who was one of the first major financial magnates of the young and growing Osturland economy throughout the 1800s. Baudinard Circus is a major shopping district in Payens and is the heart of the Payens theater district. While not as extensive as Broadway in New York, the Payens Baudinard Circus boasts 8 theaters showcasing musicals. There is also many hotels in the area offering high-class accommodations to tourists visiting Payens. Toward the south of the circus there are many high-rent appartment buildings available to those who crave Payens nightlife. I've included multiple pictures of the Baudinard Circus from various angles including night-time shots since there are so many  great looking billboards lit up at night. Thanks to all the great batters who can see their work illuminated in the circus!!! Enjoy!

thundercrack83

Baudinard Circus looks amazing, Yoder! Like you said, it's like New York and London wrapped up into one! I hope all goes well with your bid preparation, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the development on that front.

Air6

WOW Great update Yoder. I particulary like the night shots and the atmposhere of this place.

Emperor Stormont

Fantastic update indeed. I love the look of the circus, my fav building is the apple store, looks great.

On another note, do you have a BAT that you would like to select to have as the embassy for Osturland. I will also be announcing who the ambassador to Osturland shall be.

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

threeswept

What a fantastic update! You can almost hear the clicking of tourists cameras there in Baudinard Circus...well, maybe they don't click so much as there might be a lot of flashing.  &Thk/( I just realised that flashing could mean something other than a camera flash.  :P But, I'm sure the authorities are on top of that.  :D

Fledder200

wha a amazing update...i realy like those cornor buildings next to the "times square" building!
well...though i'm strange...i wont be a stranger anymore...nevermind...that is strange..:)

anyhoo i love the update!!  :thumbsup:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short to wear bad clothes...and ugly shoes!

Emperor Stormont

The Imperial Kingdom of Atlantis would proudly like to announce its ambassador to the nation of Osturland.

Viscount James Henry Pottinger joined the Atlantan diplomatic service 6 years ago and previous to his new position he was Governor General of the Imperial Colony of New Yemen. Viscount Pottinger has expressed his delight to be the Atlantan leading these new diplomatic ties with Osturland and believes these are times of great joy for both nations and we look forward to a future of further co-operation

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Krio

Though I'm feeling very, very sad, must say that seeing those new diagonals by prepo made me little happy.

Nardo69

I really that big plaza with the big roundabout and they bypasses and the diagonal BATs.

They all fit together and the nightpics with the commercials are just marvelous!

The airport ... well it is an airport ...
(don't expert anything more from me - I hate airports ...)

Take care and make backups!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Pat

Yoder that was a great update... I loved the Rundabout area and the diagnles fit so well... All i can say about the Simlympic Bid right now you are gonna be a tough one to beet  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Slacker

Hey Yoder!

I've finally got around to reading your CJ, why the hell did I wait so long? :D. I've read through all 14 pages and have been pretty amazed by the consistent quality of the updates.

I'm currently working on a CJ with a similar theme to yours (A nation with rich history) and Osturland has given me a lot of inspiration. When I eventually get around to starting my CJ, I hope it and Osturland will become great friends :).

Really looking forward to your Simlympic bid, I'm sure it'll be incredible! I love the arena, and the logo is pretty cool too. I'm going to make sure I check back a lot more often from now on. ;D

Ps. Where did you get the Apple store shown in your last update?

pipishere

Just cracking!! The layout is very unique and the buildings fit great...very nice work :)

N1_2888

Wow, with prepo's diagonal buildings Baudinard Circus reminds me a bit of Place Charles de Gaulle in Paris.
I'm looking forward to finding* those buildings in the LEX.

EDIT: *Is this correct? Actually there are some people who claim that English is an easy language ...  $%Grinno$%

Meine Region E Pluribus Unum

Yoder7652

How about some replies?  :P ;D

@Thundercrack83 - Well I'm glad you like the circus! It definately the place to go in Payens for a good time. I'm trying to render stuff and wrap things up to get the bid done...hopefully I'm not kililng it prematurely by increasing the collective anticipation of the commenters  &mmm %confuso :D ;D Thanks for stopping by!

@Air6 - Thanks! I'm glad you like the circus...the city of Payens try to keep all the bright lights in the same part of town to keep the light pollution down  ;) That way everyone knows where to go to see neon lights and have some fun.

@Belfastuniguy - Glad you liked the update of the circus...I really like the apple store bat too! I figured it was a nice tribute to the recent iphone  ::) :D also there is a Harry Potter tribute on one of the other billboards  ;D The government of Osturland look forward to working with the newlly appointed ambassador from the Imperial Kingdon of Atlantis. I'm sure that the Viscount is more than experienced to handle the job for the mutual benefit of our two great countries. He will definately be on the guest list for upcoming "special" Osturland functions.

@Threeswept - Yes! so many tourists taking pictures of the sights and sounds of the circus...indeed the police try to keep a handle on the "indecent" flashing  :D as for cameras, most don't need to even have their camera flashes on since the neon lights up the night sky so much  ::) :D Thanks for you comment!

@Fledder200 - Glad you liked the buildings of the circus. I'm sure you aren't strange  :D and I know that you aren't a stranger to Osturland! Thanks for always coming back to visit!

@Bengt - Yeah, I download stuff from the private BSCLEX and forget that some of the stuff hasn't been released yet  ::) oh well, I'm glad you noticed Prepo's work and how wonderful it looks along the diagonal roads. I have some of your diagonals in Payens as well...just haven't shown them yet, they work well with Prepo's. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad the update made you a little happy.

@Nardo69 - I'm glad to hear you like the roundabout network of roads. I wish there were more bats with bright nighttime billboards (particularly diagonal buidings), but alas...we have to work with what is available don't we. At any rate, I'm glad that you like the selection I came up with. As for the airport...we'll I don't blame you. I don't like making airports, but they are a necessary evil so at least I can show everyone that Payens has an airport and that I didn't completely avoid it  :D Thanks for stopping by Bernhard!

@Patfirefghtr - Glad to hear you liked the circus! Well as I said above, I fear that I'm creating anticipation about the bid and then it is not going to live up to the expectations  &mmm....oh well, hopefully I can live up to the expectations, I think what I have looks good and at the least I'm bringing many new buildings to the table for the simlympic venues. As always, thanks for stopping by Pat!

@Slacker - I see that Osturland is the first post that you've made here at SC4Devotion...well, welcome to this wonderful website. I hope you take some time to look around and see all the great threads that the forums here have to offer. There are so many very well done MDs here. Well I hope you enjoyed your time catching up with what has been happening in Osturland, specifically Payens. When you get your CJ ready, then we'll have to discuss some diplomatic relations  ;) Well I'm looking forward to posting my simlympic bid! Hopefully, it will be worth the wait for those who've been following it. Oh, the apple store came from Simtropolis...if you go to STEX it is on like the 7th or 8th page. Thanks for stopping by.

@Pipishere - Thanks, Pip! Glad you liked the circus!

@N1_2888 - Like I said before, I forget what has been released and what hasn't been released from the BSC. Prepo's diagonals are wonderful to work with and fit seamlessly with each other. I'm not sure where they are in the pipeline in terms of being released, but I'm sure they are on their way.....Thanks for the reference. I think it does resemble it a bit as well...especially with so many roads intesecting in the same location.

Well everyone, I'm not sure if my next update will be the simlympic one or not...I'm thinking that I may introduce Osturland National University instead and then follow it up next week with the simlympic update (I have until August 5th to post my bid). At any rate, thanks for following Osturland, I really appreciate it! Till next time, Cheers!

Strechnitz

Hello Yoder,

I go away for a few days, neglect my favorite MD's and I seem to miss out a lot :)

The circus has turned out very well. One should be glad to visit it and not have to live there or it would seem to  me to be virtually impossible to keep the neon out of your bedroom at nights :)

And yes seeing the prepo diagonals in action does make the anxiety bigger and bigger. You have made good use of them. good job, my friend.

I look forward to both possible subjects for your next update. the bid and the university. lets see who wins eh  :-\

Strechnitz

bat

That is a wonderful looking circus, Yoder! Nice roundabout and buildings around it! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Quotehopefully I'm not kililng it prematurely by increasing the collective anticipation of the commenters...

Nonsense! You've never failed to impress so far, my friend! I'm sure the Osturland bid will be one for the history books!

Russell

Loving the Baudinard Cirkus and how elegantly crafted it is, and... I must confess that I have absolutely no idea what the Simlympics is, but nevertheless, I wish you good luck with that.