• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Where are my residents!!!

Started by djuice, July 09, 2009, 05:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djuice

Okay, I've have a problem, in each of my regions that are connected to each other I've zoned it to contain roughly 25% Residential, 25% Industrial, and 50% Commercial. So with the map covered with only 25% Residential and the rest employment zones, why is my residential demand always negative? With the majority of buildings not having any workers.. My cities look all messed up, as there are very little residential zones. Is there a way around it? Or do I have to wait until CAM 2.0? (If it ever comes out... Been months already...)

Edit: Oh yeah, I've can't even seem to satisfy the demands for Commercial or Industrial... They are always uber high, even if I contantly zone them. If your asking if I'm using any Super Demand mods then answer is no.

RippleJet

There is no doubt that you need more jobs in this region...
The regional workforce (due to the doubling bug) is 999,310.
However, there are only 517,718 + 218,790 = 736,508 commercial and industrial jobs.
That puts the unemployment at 262,801 ... ::)

djuice

EHhhhhh, more zones  :-[

Is there a way to edit simcity_1.dat file, eg: deleting the conflicting examplar etc..., if So which one do I need to kill!

M4346

Why / what do you want to delete? The suggestion is to zone and create more jobs (Industrial and Commercial).
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

RippleJet

Quote from: djuice on July 09, 2009, 05:48:41 AM
Is there a way to edit simcity_1.dat file, eg: deleting the conflicting examplar etc..., if So which one do I need to kill!

Use DatPacker to merge ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat with SimCity_1.dat. But don't do this if you plan to continue playing on a region where you've already used CAM, and don't blame me if you screw up and didn't backup SimCity_1.dat first...

Easier to zone for more jobs... :)

djuice

djuice

Okay that didn't seem to work...

It screwed it up even more..!!!  :-[

RippleJet

Quote from: djuice on July 09, 2009, 06:43:21 AM
It screwed it up even more..!!!  :-[

Indeed... regional residential capacity 5,530,494 and workforce 12,011,192. ::)

Quote from: RippleJet on July 09, 2009, 05:59:44 AM
But don't do this if you plan to continue playing on a region where you've already used CAM

djuice

Hmmm, it seem that the DATPacker didnt properly merge both SimCity_1.dat and ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat...

I'm using SC4Tool to look through the new dat file, and it seem that the demand RCI bar has resetted to 6000, and none of your modify exemplar seem to be the same.

RippleJet

Before datpacking them, you might want to rename ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat into something that would load after SimCity_1.dat...

Korot

Quote from: RippleJet on July 09, 2009, 09:27:34 AM
Before datpacking them, you might want to rename ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat into something that would load after SimCity_1.dat...
like zColossusAddonmod_1.0.dat

Regards,
Korot

djuice

k808j

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

RippleJet

Quote from: k808j on July 09, 2009, 07:17:14 PM
Isn't Datpacking CAM a nono?

Yes, and this is not a normal datpacking that we've been discussing.
In this case we've merged CAM with SimCity_1.dat in order to keep only one version of the RCI exemplars. All in order to fix the bug that doubles the regional residential capacity and workforce.

rooker1

Maybe, Tage we should post the exact method on how this is done before too many others read this and try it and screw things up.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

RippleJet

Since this unfortunately wouldn't work well if done for a region where you've already been playing with CAM 1.0, I would rather leave this for CAM 2.0, where this will be the actual installation procedure (provided Wouanagaine creates a custom version of DatPacker for the CAM Installer). ;)

k808j

Don't worry rooker1 I have no plans of doing anything we  ()borg() don't understand.

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

z

Quote from: RippleJet on July 10, 2009, 06:22:12 AM
Since this unfortunately wouldn't work well if done for a region where you've already been playing with CAM 1.0...

In the spirit of "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread," I decided to try this on my large existing Chicago region, which has a population of 7.5 million.  I did, of course, first prepend my name to the ColossusAddonmod_1.0.dat file (it's amazing how many problems that fixes  ;D).  After that, I found that things worked pretty much as expected.

In other words, not very well.

Demand shifted just in the way that has been predicted, but this included a large drop in commercial demand.  By playing around with the tax rates and calling in Cousin Vinnie (because I can no longer maintain a positive cash flow), I was actually able to get my cities working fairly reasonably.  But I did this only because I had put so much work into them, and I really didn't want to start from scratch.  So unless you're really desperate (like me), for existing regions, I would have to agree completely with RippleJet, and summarize my advice as follows:

Don't try this at home.

For new regions though, this fix would certainly seem to do the trick perfectly.  But don't forget to use my name before DATPacking!   ;D

HappyDays

Being the monkey I am, I saw and did what others pulled off...

Now I assumed the ColossusAddonmod_1.0.dat, once merged with SimCity_1.dat using DatPacker (With none of the options selected), was to be deleted from the CAM folder and SimCity_1.dat was to replace the original...

It appeared to work, though it didn't cause untold chaos in my region when I loaded it up (Though, just because a few things are...off, namely regional estimates, I'll start fresh with a new region). In fact, my largest city of 3 million had a population boom and otherwise only benefited from the change.

With the doubled capacity bug (seemingly) fixed, and my previous efforts of so long ago to increase maximum demand for High Tech in place, I think I've at last arrived at a time where I feel comfortable going whole hog and creating an entire region of skyscraper cities.

RippleJet

Thank you for your report and for making my day happy, HappyDays! :)