• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Barsalargonia - Update 23 - August 23 2009

Started by Splime, May 31, 2009, 12:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarton

Haven't been here a while, missed the past few updates.  :( They are great, as I expected! :thumbsup: And you've begun C2! Marvelous. Great to see some office buildings for a change.  &apls

M4346

Looks very good indeed Splime! And you're way better at rural areas than I'll ever be! LOL

Congrats and keep it up!  &apls

- Marius
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Luke09

Splime Congratulations  &apls .AND I NEED YOUR HELP.OMG I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.i have dowloaded sfbt tree in streets( i think this is the name)i dowloaded the requisited dependancies,but there are A LOT OF BROWN BOXES in my streets,i really dont know what to do ....damm hell
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Splime

Luke09: And now we've broke 2000 posts!

Jason: Thanks! The C.P. houses are pretty much my all-time favorites.

citycapitalizer: Thanks, I'm glad to see that my denser developments are good too.

Marius: Thanks for such kind words!

Luke09: Thanks! Sadly, I don't know how you can fix the problem... have you posted on the SFBT section of the forums yet?

Thanks everyone for getting Barsalargonia to 200 posts! Anyway, here's the poster distribution at 202 posts:

Thanks again!

Battlecat

That's an excellent start to the tile!  I really like how that town is spread through the forest!

Thanks for the farm!  If I was to look into purchasing a farm, that's the kind of place I'd be heading!  I'm certainly happy you found the techniques I'm playing around with in Adara inspiring.  I'm certainly enjoying the way you're handling it!  Keep up the great work!

danielcote

io_bg

Congratulations on the 200 posts! The last few updates I missed are amazing.
Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Bobbi

Congratulations!!! It's over 200 posts!!!

I see there're many gravel paths, wooden fences and cp's houses all the time. Maybe you like them, and I like them too. :D

Bobbi :thumbsup:

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

Luke09

well i didint wanted to "doublepost" but i were desesperated,and i didint remembered that we can edit posts  :-[ .So i will go to SFBT room...ty splime and keep this up  ;)
Tu és
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Scarton

Whoa look at the number of views, less than 400 till 5000! Congrats!  &apls &apls

Splime

Battlecat: Thanks! Considering that you're also doing a rural MD (and a really good one at that), it shouldn't be a surprise that I pay attention to it for tips.

danielcote: Yes, he's made more posts than I've made updates!

io_bg: Thanks for your comment!

Bobbi: Thanks! I do like the fences and gravel paths, and they are really useful in making rural areas.

Luke09: No problem, I don't mind extra posts...  :D Good luck fixing that bug!

citycapitalizer: Yes, yet another milestone nearly reached!

I recently did some calculations about population density, and I've determined that C3 has about 1100 sims per km2. If this density remains the same throughout Barsalargonia, that would put the country's density between Bermuda and Bangladesh. For comparison, England has 395 people per km2, Connecticut (the state I live in) has 271 people per km2, the UK has 246 per km2, the entire world has 45 people per km2, and the US has 31 per km2.

If we compare with other towns or counties, the town I live in has 73 people per km2 (and is definitely rural, at least by CT standards). Nearby towns are 180 and 269 per km2. The nearby small city of Danbury has 722 people per km2. Investigation outside of where I live reveals that the region of Holland in the Netherlands has a density of 1105 people per km2. According to research on Wikipedia, much of Holland still has a rural character, despite its high population density. So, the density of Barsalargonia can be compared to Holland. (The major problem with this comparison, however, is that Holland has some big cities in it, while Barsalargonia does not.)

There is one issue that destroys these comparisons, however. Houses in SC4 house many more people than they would in real life. This means SC4 population figures are inflated dramatically. I'll probably look into what I can do to get a more accurate figure later on.

Update 20: Expanding the Settlement

First of all, here's a close-up of Arthur's Tavern, as promised. There's also the other commercial buildings. Some growable commercial buildings definitely need work to fit in a rural setting...

This update focuses on expanding last update's settlement west and north. The first part covers the west, where I extended the gravel road from last update to the west, all the way to Route 23 (which is off of the picture to the left).

This is the zoning setup for the first expansion...

...And these are the results. There are certainly some farms with interestingly-colored crops in this area.

Next up, we'll be moving north along Route 25 (north of Arthur's Tavern).

This is the zoning setup. You'll also notice that there is a 4 platform train station to the right. The station is designed this way because the rail splits here, with one route traveling to the island across the bridges in Update 18, and the other route turning to the east to continue up the mainland. There's also been a bit of road readjustment in the lower-right.

The result is a small subdivision enclosed by a road. Later on it may expand outward slightly.

Here is a closeup of that subdivision. Housing is more dense near the rail station (off screen to the right), and spaced out a bit more as you move further away from the station.

Finally, this is a new dairy farm, this time with separate pens for cows rather than one giant fenced-in area. Personally, I think it looks a lot better.

Thanks for reading!

Battlecat

Nice batch of growth today!  That little urban area looks great!

That last dairy farm looks pretty nice!  Just so you know, one of the reasons cattle farmers break their fields up into sections is so the grass can recover while the cows feed in another area.  At any one time, at least one of the fields will not have cows in it.  In the case of that, that farmer is supplementing the grass with feed so the cows aren't dependent on fresh grass.  There are many other reasons to separate out the herd, just thought you might like to know about that one!

Swesim

Wonderful rural views as usual Splime!

The comparison of posters was interesting, I have never thought about that, but it was a good idea!
Regarding Your calculations of population density I can just say that with statistics You can say anything You want and the nice thing about it is that You can always get the numbers to tell the version or point that YOU want to make...

Those dairyfarms look really nice, I suppose the people in Barsalagonia don´t have to visit the dentist´s to often...  ;D
Sorry for not commenting for a while, RL is giving me a tough time doing anything at all in my spare time.

art128

First of all, sorry for not posting before... To be honest I don't have any excuses..  &ops :-[ 
Well, thanks for named a tavern after me, it's an honor ! And the new developments are great, too !
Looks like I passed third poster.. hmm, I have to stop by there more often eh ..  :P Also, congrats on 200(+) comments !

take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tomas Neto

Yeah, my friend!!! Fantastic update again!!!  ;D

danielcote

Nice little town! It even has a rail station and a couple  of stores.  :thumbsup:

djvandrake

Again I'm impressed with your prodigious use of the diagonal streets.  Not easy to pull off and make look really good, and you do it well.  The trees give that neighborhood just the right finishing touch.  :thumbsup:  Looks great.  &apls

Luke09

Hey Splime,i liked the "arthur's tavern",where can i found it?and i solved the problem with SFBT Mod,that is spetacular...i downloaded 1 file thinking that was a dependancy,so i opened the readme i looked that i dowloaded another file,and get the correct one  :-[ .And nice pics,colorfull farms  :P
Tu és
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Splime

Battlecat: Thanks for letting me know about the reasons for sectioning the fields. It definitely makes realistic city-building easier when you use real reasons for building things.

Swesim: Thanks! And you're right about statistics, they can be used (and misused) to prove just about anything. And about your dentist comment... that's probably a good thing that they don't need the dentist much, since I haven't plopped any myself. Still, I could just designate a grown commercial lot as a dentist.

Arthur: Thanks! You deserved that Tavern, as you were a huge part of getting this MD to 100 posts, and now 200 posts!

Tomas Neto: Thanks for your comment!

danielcote:Thanks! I added the commercial after your comment about the lack thereof...

djvandrake: Thanks! I couldn't imagine making Barsalargonia without diagonal streets.

Luke09: Good to know you've fixed your Street Tree Mod issues. The tavern lot can be found here, on SimPeg.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Luke09

Thanks for the link splime  :thumbsup: .and i have already made a nice suburb with that mod,its so,beauty...
Tu és
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo