• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Urland - a (mostly) rural Coastline

Started by Nardo69, March 24, 2007, 12:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yan077

One of my favourite MD...
really, really good pictures, as always, Bernhard, you make a really good job on these hilly landscapes  &apls

Just a little suggestion for more realism, you should use this tunnel, looks better than the maxi's ;)

Keep up the good work
Yann  :thumbsup:

Tomas Neto

canyonjumper

Did not expect to see that city a region view ;D The large city certainly surprised me! Awesome updates Bernhard, keep it up!

Your friend,
                               Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

rooker1

This is our second week of the 4-in-1 run in OSITM. as you already know, during the month of November, in celebration of SC4D's Anniversary, we've picked 4 MDs in addition to the others (who will be there for the full month) to appear in OSITM: one every week. Bernhard is up second and with that, this makes it the 4th time Urland has been to OSITM. Congratulations Bernhard, and it'll be interesting to see what you have in store for this week.

Congratulations from myself and The SC4D Staff!!
&apls
Call me Robin, please.

Nardo69

Well, as Robin said, this week is my turn in the OSITM 4in1 celebrating the birthday of Sc4Devotion. It has been a long and nice time and I'll hope we will go on enjoying Sc4 as well as SC4D for a loooong time! :)

In this round there will be two novelties: The first that for the first time in the history of Urland there will be daily updates (if nothing unforeseeable is going to happen...). Because of this the answering section will be shorter than usual. Hope you are not angry with me because of that ...   &mmm
The second is ... well, you'll find out!  ;D

Yan077, Tomas Neto, canyonjumper: Thanks for your compliments! :)
rooker1: Thanks for your kind words and moving my little MD in the warm spotlight of OSITM!  :)

So, I will start my round of the OSITM 4in1 to (almost) finish off the map of Schwarzritters Mühle:

Update 24: Schwarzritters Mühle revisited part 3

Well, it is in the headline - before my big hardware problems Schwarzritters Mühle was about to be in the pipe but then I changed plans and went back in time. Putting the map back in the pipe I saw some spots that needed a bit of attention and change. Here they are!

Spot 1 was this shore of the Mühlbach. Don't know why I used these trees there, they just don't. In additionto this you can see some sawtooth where the JV line crosses the street.
And before the big hardware hiatus I always thought "well, gotta change that - later!" ...  ::)

Now with my "standard flora" - doesn't it look much better? And by now I found out how to let the power lines go over some lots which made the sawtooth disappear!

A view from the other side.

And finally the little bridge/embankment that connects the seddlements to the main road. What a luck that these boulders haven't smashed the culvert!  :-[

The little stripe between vineyard and map border was undeveloped so I planted there my tree (new technique, you can spot the difference if you compared with the Gallows Hill's forest) and a retaining wall with some added greeneries.

A kaleidoscope of the transition between forest and vineyards, like in the Palatinate where I was born. :)

After some hardware trouble (again ...  ::)) I had to redo the other side of the river. I didn't wanted to have some HV cables crossing the river and since I was too lazy to plop some invisible lots I gave the bananas farm its own power supply - seems to be a Bio Bananas Farm ...  :D

Again a kaleidsocope view of the other side. The rocks are plopped in the water, I might have to redo the river again with the zero-sealevel.dat I think ...  /wrrd%&

Another spot was this one. Texture mishmash. jagged diagonal edges, no catenaries, all cried for some enhancement ...

Since I couldn't get rid of the jagged edge I changed the retaining wall texture and added some catenaries. Kenworth one released a beta for the smootzh curve, it works good on flat terrain - but these curves are sloped as you might see ...

I guess I have to redo the tunnel with Yab_077's tunnel models, too ... Oh well ...

A 2 in 1: the redone shore and the added catenaries. :)

The overview of the area with the changes. Small changes but big effect IMHO...

Well, that's it with Schwarzritter's Mühle. We are done - almost:

Some trains anyone?  ;D

See you tomorrow!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

rooker1

A special congrats from me to you for getting into the OSITM once again for your fourth time. &apls And with an update like this it is no wonder why your MD is so popular.
My favourite pics are the fourth one and the last one.  The fourth because you made the land raise up ever so slightly when going over the culvert.  An awesome little detail that I am sure 90% of us would have missed.  And the last because that bridge and the stone work is breath taking.  it has the perfect hieght and width to show off the details that the model maker wanted to show everyone.
I look forward to spending the rest of the week with you.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Nardo69

Hello to All!

Day 2 of my OSITM week, and as I promised yesterday there will be trains today. Lots of trains. Only trains ...  ;D

One part of the pics is made with rivit's German 1950s train. I do like that trainset, it gives me the warm feeling of the German railways of my childhood in the seventies. Only things he should adjust: The 023 were built in the 1950s, the 041 was reboilered  in the 1950s, the 110 and the 140 where from 1956 to 1972 and the passenger cars were reconstructed from older material in the late 1950s / early 1960s. So the trainset represents more the trains of the 1960s and 1970s. In that time the E40/140 was green, it became red in the 1990s. But these are really minor buggers. ;)

The other trains set is the Region Runner with Kenworth's wonderful doubledecker cars which represents the modern railways of today.

That's why I took basically the same pictures which the old and the new train giving you a feeling of the things that changed during the time. Have fun!

But before we start:

@rooker1: Thanks for your kind words!

OSITM Special 1: Trains, trains, trains!

Today there's lot of pictures and only a few words to say!

Well, we all know these, don't we? Unlike the freight train diesel loco which I still like after all these years the passenger train is just ... well ... in dire need of being replaced!

At the Galgenbergtunnel (Gallows hill tunnel).
Unfortunately I haven't found the time to use the tunnel Yan_077 gave me the link ...

The other side of the tunnel before the track was electrifed (and before I tidied up  the textures  ::))

You might know this one from the picture competition! ;)

Methinks quite a few of you were witing for some pictures of trains on the Mühlbach bridge - here they are! :)

Once I caught even two trains crossing the bridge at the same time! :)

That's it for today, in the next update we will to another map. Hope you like your today'S daily dose of Papa Nardo's Oeuvre!

See you tomorrow!

rooker1

Awesome train update.  I love to see these types of pictures from you.  I usually take this as a type of learning tool so that I might be able to make my train tracks just half as good as yours.  I may even try a train update this month and see how I get graded from the Great Papa Nardo.  ;)  I'm really glad you added in the pics of that bridge.....amd being able to catch two trains on there was a great feat.
A little apology for forgetting to actually move your MD to OSITM.....sorry my friend.

I look forward to updates every day from you, should be a great week!!
Call me Robin, please.

kodlovag

I like these trains, I'm also using the Region Runner. And the city is beautiful.
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

travismking

yep, i am using the regio runner as well, and yet another fantastic update :)

mikeski

Great region Nardo.  Me being a railfan I really like this update.  I have to compliment you on your railway building skills and attention to detail, very realistic.  And I really like that pic of the two trains on the bridge.  As for that Maxis train, I've often wondered how people get in and out of it as the cars don't appear to have doors.  Anyway, great update and hope to see more railway related updates from you soon :thumbsup:

Framly

awesome Bernhard...

..i love your rural work and the trains

Great pics my friend &apls

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

Nardo69

Hello To All!

Ready for your daily dose of Papa Nardo's oeuvre?

But as always before we start:

@rooker1: See, whenever I am going to do industrials and ghettos I look in Mind Scape. ;) The thing I do appreciate about this game is that every one has its special talents and interests and no one is restrained to do so by the game. ;)

@kodlovag, travismking, mikeski,  Framly: Thanks for you kind words! :)

OK, as promised, today we change the map. One of my longterm construction sites in this Region is Leimersheim, one of the first maps I begun  but until now only one corner reached a presentable status. That's where we are going now!

OSITM Special 2: Egdes of Leimersheim

We are moving along the edge of the map, in the part that I can show you.

An overview. We are starting a little bit above the upper border of the picture and are moving along the ... nope, not railway, road!

Above the village that you can see on the top left of the previous picture you can see this intersection. Moving ahead we would reach its neighbour Klemmbach so we are turning left.

Sometimes even a stubborn ol'donkey like me goes FARther ... ;)

Closeups of the triangular woods between the farm field and the raod.

A small road gives access to some farms

And after two curves we reach the bridge over the railway line to Klemmbach. The signal is the entry signal of Klemmbach - Neurod.

That's it for today. Hope you like ...

Hold it! Waddaya mean: "That's it for todays"?!?

Uhm, well, it's finished ... 

After just eight lousy pics! And no train? Come on, you're OSITM!

Well, yes, but ...

No "Yes, but ..." - more pictures!!!

Okaaaaay ....

I had some questions and reactions about a particular map of my region view the last days. So I decided to combine OSITM part 2 and 3 for today, pimp up part 4 and show it tomorrow and put an additional construction site report in between somewhere between tomorrow and November 14th. Hope you don't mind ... ;)

OSITM Special 3: Al along the railway line

We are continuing now at the last picture of the previous update and move back to Leimersheim - Hochdorf - all along the railway line. And what a coincidence - we are going to see some trains!  :D

A train passed the entry signal of Klemmbach - Neurod and will reach the station shortly.

From another Angle. You can clearly see the hole stup with signal, curves and overpass.

And a last closeup of the entry signal and the train.

After a curve the railway line passes a small settlement in a curve without a station or flag stop.

Another trains goes to Klemmbach. The approach signals of the entry signals of the next railway stations are located close to each other.

From another angle. Did you see the marker posts?

A closeup next to the railway line.

The Entry signal of Leimersheim - Hochdorf. We will go there in the next update!

Have fun!

See you tomorrow!

art128

Some exellents update there, bernhard !  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nardo69

Hello to All!

Not much responses .. hope I don't bore you too much with rural landsacpes & trains ...  &mmm So, what could I do? Maybe some urban pictures? Highrises even? Well, let's see what I can do for you as this week is special! ;)
But today we will finish off what we began yesterday.

But before:

@art128: Thanks for your compliment!

OSITM Special Part 4: Around the Church of Leimersheim - Hochdorf

We stopped here yesterday at the entry signal of Leimersheim - Hochdorf. The signals are the upcoming HD version of the German Semaphores (so to say v2.0) and are in beta. Unlike its SD predecessors the advance signal signal post is now a separate prop and needs to be placed separately, too, ...

... as you can see here (after a little work in the LE).

Same place, seen from the other side.

Closeup of the exit signal and a level crossing.

The siding for the small freight terminal and the local industry. It has no signals as it is served from the big neighbour station Leimersheim.

In the "CBD" of Hochdorf the Landesstraße (state road) crosses the railroad with a level crossing. Being not too empty it is discussed for years to close the level crossing and replace it with a underpass or overpass.
However noone wants a big hole (during the construction) or bridge in the middle of this village and the proposed bypass was finally dismissed due to ecological and financial reasons so the level crossing survived untill today.

The level corssing from the other side. You can spot the sign posts of the advance entry signal of Leimersheim.

Turing around shows the advance signal and the local veterinarian's house.

Okay, that was the first version of the update. But as I know you some more pictures wouldn't hurt, would they? No? Okay, let's have look around in the village of Leimersheim - Hochdorf! :)

The cbd of Hochdorf is located around the St Martin church of Hochdorf. Looks rather harmless, doesn't it? But when you look closer ...

.. you'll see some ... well ... umm ... "commercials" that you wouldn't search so close to a church ...  ???
And the bank (greed) and the pub (crapilence) aren't the most harmful sins there ...  $%Grinno$%

A closeup of the sunken rail and the houses ...

... as well as the veterinarian's house.

An overview. On this side of the Landesstraße you don't find industry etc, only houses and farms (and the vet).

Usually people are making jokes if a human doc is living so close to cemetery, but here some people think that the cemetery is located so close for those who died when they saw the vet's treatment bill ...  %wrd

The Landstraße leaves to Klemmbach. We do know that intersection there ;)

A closeup of a farm close to Hochdorf.

And finally an overview over the village to conclude it.

Next time it's going to be "completely different" so know cliffhanger today!

See you tomorrow! Have fun!

RickD

Wow, Bernhard, you really are on an update spree. You are updating faster than I can comment.  ;) I love it so far.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

rooker1

Sorry I missed the chance to reply to your last update.  Both updates are, of course, breath taking as usual.  Your ability to transform the game into thses beautiful rural scenes is mind blowing and I always enjoy spending time here looking over your pics my friend.

Call me Robin, please.

threestooges

I spent the day working at the railroad museum I got to out here, and I come home to this, and I love it. Using the drt-str switches makes for a pretty good siding, and good story about the level crossing (you knew I'd be looking in, heh heh). I like the variety of passenger rail automata you've accumulated. I recognize a few, but some, like the green cars in the past update, I don't think I've seen before.
-Matt

kodlovag

A whole update every day. And with so high quality.  :thumbsup:
But what happened? I can only see 1 image with trains.
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

art128

Fantastic ! Funny CBD you got there Bernhard. &apls

-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog