• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Graffiti Problem

Started by frdrcklim, May 05, 2009, 11:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frdrcklim

It get's annoying over the years playing but only this time have I never seen it magnified like this.

The same buildings build themselves over multiple lot. They grew graffitis. Over time, I wanted to bulldoze them, but the graffitis remained. I unzoned some of the lots and they still remain.

Has there already been a download to remove these floating graffitis ()what()?
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

blakesterville

It was probably put on the building , if it wasn't in a prop-pack , more likely...

try removing some of the props and lots many lots use as dependencies(some prop-packs modify some of the graphics of the game automatically)

Hope this helps.

Pat

The graffiti is a maxis prop so removing prop packs probably wouldn't help...  far as how to correct it I don't know Mildrick, sorry...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

blakesterville

I would go through and remove a mod , one at a time , and see if it helps each time , keep going through until you are done , it probably has something to do with a plugin.
It's probably a good idea to go back from latest to oldest plugins , as you go through.

I hope this can help , I know what it's like to have plugin problems. ???

frdrcklim

I already know it's a Maxis prop. I've seen them long before I started downloading custom content. Somehow, the graffiti just doesn't go away.

If it hasn't been done, I hope someone would kindly make a modd that would remove them. I've seen it before. I think there was a modd to remove the glider when you plop the marina or something so I think this is possible to remove :).

Yep, I still got it.

rooker1

Maybe our resident modder, Ripplejet will stop by soon.
I'm sure he could think of something for you.
::)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

RippleJet

There seem to be problems with those lots that contained those graffiti props...
Don Miguel's Iron Lofts do not contain any graffiti props though.

However, Don Miguel's Iron Lofts probably do lead to the immortal lot syndrome...
The width of his buildings is exactly 16 m, which cannot be fit inside a 16 m wide lot...

In this case the building extends from 0x00000000 off the left edge of the lot to 0x00100000 on the right edge.
Since the right edge of the lot ends at 0x000FFFFF, this building extends 0x00000001 (equal to 1/65536 of a metre) into the neighbouring lot.

Thus the buildings are overhanging the right edge of the lots and are affecting the neighbouring lots.
Those lots were probably the ones containing those graffiti props (which seem to have been just on the edge of the lot).

Usually, bulldozing lots that are affected by neighbouring overhanging buildings is completely impossible,
but sometimes only the props remain, as can be seen in your image.

To create a mod that removes ingame props affected by overhanging neighbouring buildings is rather impossible...
You'd never be able to predict which props would be affected and a mod would remove all such props from all cities...

A better option would of course be to update Don Miguel's lots. :)

frdrcklim

No they don't. Don Miguels Iron lofts are the lots I wanted to keep. They look so nice ::). That's why they're there on the picture :). I had this other apartment lot that do have graffiti and keeps on plopping though. If I remove that lot on the plugin folder, would that remove the floating graffiti?

Yep, I still got it.

BarbyW

Can you tell us the name of the other apartment building?
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

RippleJet

Quote from: frdrcklim on May 13, 2009, 09:27:12 PM
If I remove that lot on the plugin folder, would that remove the floating graffiti?

Since the lot has been bulldozed, but has left some immortal props, I fear that wouldn't help.
You might want to try the mod that's attached to this post though...

I haven't tested it myself, so please be careful while testing.
It probably will remove all graffiti (12 of them by Maxis) from any city you play having it loaded with.

I cannot ensure that it will remove these affected immortal graffiti props though.
I'd like to hear what your experiments would show though.

If they disappear, can you also please check to see if they return after removing the mod?
Happy testing! :)

frdrcklim

Yep, I still got it.

frdrcklim

I'm pleased to say the graffiti has disappeared. Thanks RippleJet ;D.

Yep, I still got it.

SC4BOY

Hmm thx for referring me to here Tage. Note that in my reference to this kind of problem HERE does not have, nor has it ever had an adjacent building (at least 3  sides are clear, I'll have to look to see if the 4th side is occupied) It has streets to the left, empty unzoned land to the front, and street to the back.. there MAY be a building to the right under the query shown in the pic.

When I get a chance I'll test your posted file above on this particular city to see what occurs. Is the suggestion to add the file, start the city, save the city, exit, remove the file, and reopen the city?

RippleJet

Quote from: SC4BOY on August 30, 2009, 01:07:00 AM
When I get a chance I'll test your posted file above on this particular city to see what occurs. Is the suggestion to add the file, start the city, save the city, exit, remove the file, and reopen the city?

Yes, please! :)

SC4BOY

Quote from: RippleJet on August 30, 2009, 03:23:49 AM

Well, here's the deal.. :)  I opened the city where this issue was located, and it was simply gone. I never applied your "test". I guess this says that this situation appears in cases where it isn't persistent such as the one above. I have not opened this city since I left the message to you in the other thread. The house is absolutely unchanged in all aspects other than the grafitti is gone.. This doesn't help I suppose in the way planed, but it does give another data point. Here's the "update"

That zoning and surrounding situation is the same as when I created the city as the residential zoning is among the first things I did after I layed out the basic network layout. The date on the city is Jan '28 and north is along the street toward the top.

SC4BOY

Got another one... if it sticks (after save, exit, re-enter) I'll try your gadget. I'm thinking that I never had these when the region population was small, but with larger region it seems to be more common.. Anyone else notice this?

In front is the Bachman-Wood Building and in back is the "Small Condos". You can't see it but JB's Lockwood Arms has it also behind the Small Condos... At least one, and possibly all, of those buildings has never "evolved".. it was there the first time it built as I just zoned that for Res. Hmm.. I see that "Catalina House" in the lower left is there too.. Here's a "zone" view.. I just scanned that city in zone view and I see probably 12 or more examples of this same phonema in this one small city tile.

Actually looking at those I seriously doubt that those graffiti were even on those lots. I expect that there is some texture duplication ID or something at work.. .or something similar.. I'm sure you have a better guess than I do.

RippleJet

Quote from: SC4BOY on September 07, 2009, 01:53:27 AM
Actually looking at those I seriously doubt that those graffiti were even on those lots.

I have to agree with you on that!
There are 12 in-game graffiti props, sorted into four families, each having three graffiti props:
0xA0000016, 0xA000001D, 0xA000001E and 0xA0000023.

However, all those families appear only on commercial lots.
They have the requester satisfaction set at crime, which should allow them to appear only if crime levels in the neighbourhood is high.

None of those props or families appear on any ingame residential lots! &mmm

Quote from: SC4BOY on September 07, 2009, 01:53:27 AM
I'm sure you have a better guess than I do.

I wish I did... ()sad()
Could anything out there have added these props into other families? ()what()

SC4BOY

Quote from: RippleJet on September 08, 2009, 11:51:25 AM
However, all those families appear only on commercial lots.
They have the requester satisfaction set at crime, which should allow them to appear only if crime levels in the neighbourhood is high.

hmm.. I didn't know they were crime related... Next time I look, I'll note the crime level. It shouldn't be very high on my lots, but I will look. Also, I haven't seen this problem on commercial lots, but only on residential.  I know there was a recent trend for some of the W2W people to use graffiti to "fill" the exposed "end" of their lots when it did not have an adjacent building. If that was the seed for this problem I don't know, but it may be worth thinking about.

edit: I checked.. I have no increased crime issues specific to the lots where the "grafitti mystery" occurs :D

SC4BOY

Hmm.. this issue is rampant throughout my CAM cities.. I don't have anything conclusive about it, but I have one more data point. It only seems to occur on Medium Density and only on Residential and only on 1x2 or 2x2 lots. Don't know if this helps or not. I am going to give your patch a try.. looking at this reminded me.. I had forgotten about it :) I'd say it occurs on about 10% or more of all lots that meet the above conditions. Its odd that it only occurs on residential when you said above it was aimed at commercial. I don't see it on any commercial lots, but that may be cause I have no crime problems and you mentioned earlier that it was crime related.

SC4BOY

Quote from: RippleJet on August 30, 2009, 03:23:49 AM

mmmk.. I put your patch in (placed in the root plugins directory) and entered one of the cities... The graffiti indeed had vanished.. none was visible anywhere in the city. I then saved and exited SC4. Then removed the patch and re-entered the city.. The graffiti was back in what to the best of my memory was the exact same places it was in before. I didn't run the city if that matters and I'm using CAM if that matters.