• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A day in Stockholm (now with comments, as requested)

Started by SimFox, February 12, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimFox

day trip to Stockholm (from Helsinki by boat)

"I wanna be a Love boat!" screams the rather lonely Silja line's ferry Silja Symphony

Stockholm is located at the end of quite long fjord, nothing as dramatic as those on the western coast of Norway, but enough to get those two Russian ladies with they cameras onto bitterly cold windy forward deck at 7 am! Generally Russia is going now through the same stage Japan went in 70-80s when Camera appeared to be natural appendage of every Japanese.

Flying the flag! Swedish, Finnish and Silly... oh sorry Silja...

most öster of Östermalm (Öster means eastern in Swedish) Stockholm is one of very few cities in the world where eastern district is the most expensive one. Most of the world Be it London, Moscow, Paris, Berlin etc, etc prefer West. These are, naturally outskirts of that area. Still it's pretty pricey. More on Östermalm later.

And a great fish came out of waters and wanted to eat him.... my very freestyle quote from the Good Book.

oh... children...

and in Sweden they are appear to grow on the snowy fields, where they are harvested and delivered to prospective parent in a later afternoon...

the nest of Swedish neutral militarism??

and some say that people have invented skyscrapers....

and here we are well into Östermalm

the school

the church (Ingman bergman's father has been preaching in it)

the market (the brick castle on the left)

Damb Show Uncle Vanja - such disrespect to Russian classics  :'( at Royal Drama theater. Incident amount of gold delivers the point of royalty very convincing

Love me tender...

West-End of ÖsterMalm ... hm... withing the single city area swedes seem to join crowds preferring West to East...

a first glans on a heart of Stockholm - Gamla Stan - Old Town stack on Standsholmen island in the middle of the fjord - yep this ain't river but proper fjord - so much cooler then simple river, isn't it? Knights Fjord is actually connecting large lake to the sea, so it is more of a river than it cares to admit... Or lake... ok, ok Swan lake....

Royal Palace (the main one) side entrance... Or is it?? I mean is it a side entrance... the building is built in such a manner that practically every side of it is a Main Facade...

Frozen Cruising...

Frozen cruisers...

Operan - The Opera... Strangelly totalitarian looking (the look is somewhat diluted by those frivolous glass terraces) It is definitely rather more Wagner than Puccini.

Karl XII pointing to St. Petersburg

Parliament (on the left)

Bridges... the most notable thing about them is that there very few of them... it is very odd, but only 3 main bridges connecting north and south of the city... This one is rather nice looking.

Here is another... Given that it runs through the very heart of the city it is rather utilitarian design... Trainsd are very nice, though...

behind of parliament.

Stockholms Cityhall. The place where every year proceeds of the fortune made on blood and tears are awarded to people deemed worth of such an honor... I mean Nobel prizes, of course. The most ironical -The Peace one is however been moved to Oslo.

A look towards South - Södermalm

Tre Kronor

Some of the Swedish wisdom.

Södermalm could, in all fairness, be called the Pink City

Norrmalm (to the north) didn't fare all that well during the 50 and 60. big junk of it beem whiped out to free space to rather mediocre (even at the styles standard) constructions

and we're looking down south again... You know what I Love this bridge. Tru it is ugly...or to be precise sooo nothing - gray as can be and mediocre as can be, but that's what it should be. It is but a canvass of this fantastic mix of cars, trains, metros...

and it has this fairy tale like little square attached to it - inviting us into Gamla Stan (old town) proper.

But I couldn't get in, as I was totally captivated by this incredible angular glass bubble of a building. There is something hypnotic about such an aquarium...

But old town behind me awaits

ein weinchen, ein sigaretchen... (pina Baucsh)

taking care of the heritage... graffiti only on the plastic container...

Another church

Another church yard facing children's playground. Barbed wire - a nice touch though...

Controversial girl in the window... I've been told I can't photograph her... just like those girls in the windows in Amsterdam... Oh well, I'll try to limit myself to the boyz from now on...

Christmas has long since past, but the fairytale lingers on...

Shahnai, yeap it is... Pakistani restaurant...

shopping for a dream

one of total 5 trees growing in the Gamla Stan...

those little lights of mine... let'em shine, let'em shine, let'em shine.

Address pluck?? House #XIV?

Contemplating saying "farewell" to gun?

Back to opera...

some last minute shopping in NK - Nordiska Kompaniet

and dive into T-bana Stockholm's underground/metro/subway

It has some of the most stunning station on this planet... this isn't one of them, but do google it, and prepare to be AMAZED!

and, finally, back into the belly of the beast...

Xiziz

Wonderful pictures SimFox!
Couldn't have done it better myself!
Makes me miss going into Stockholm every day.

sebes

Well - and I can add another city on my wishlist....

(reminds me of Blackwater hehe)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Gaston

Absolutely fantastic pics.   I loved um.     But I wish there were at least a few lables labels for them.   I'd love to know what they were.

---Gaston

sorry the cat was sitting on my arm while I typed.
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

SimFox

CallagraFX
well, you know...
to my defense one ca say that you one doesn't do a squat to protect said privacy it is up for grabs... The "designed" sign made to match wall color rather then being effective by any standard aside, that  is... To be perfectly honest I've noticed it ONLY on the actual picture...

Gaston...
labels (lables - I guess same as center and centre, right?) you say?? well I'll try to make some. Come here in couple of days...

CarmineHilton

God, I love Stockholm!

I lived in this city 'till I was 1years old. Still visit the city A LOT though as most of my family lives in Sweden (from which some live in Stockholm).
The city just gives me this feeling, I dunno... I'm always happy when I'm there. Only one other city can do that to me, which is Paris (where I lived until I was 7).

I'm quite sure that one day, I'll be living here again :)

Fabulous pictures SimFox ;) x

callagrafx

Quote from: SimFox on February 14, 2009, 03:23:04 AM
CallagraFX
well, you know...
to my defense one ca say that you one doesn't do a squat to protect said privacy it is up for grabs...

Legally this is an invasion of privacy, as you've taken a photo of someone from a public place where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and in this case, there is a "no photographs" sign clearly visible in the window, which is designed to protect the privacy of the occupants of the building.  This is generally a prosecutable offence in most European countries....You may want to check your rights as a photographer when photographing people, as it's a minefield.....Ignorance is not an admissable defence.  To compound the issue, you've published the photograph in an open forum on the Internet.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

ExiLe

oooh, Gamla stan' ! Think I visited Stockholm with my family 6 years or so ago, very nice place!
...coming soon