• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nauset - Teaser - June 6th

Started by evanator, February 08, 2009, 02:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evanator

Hello Everyone, I'm rather new here and would like to share my current region; Nauset.
The MD will focus around the city of Nauset, and it's surrounding suburbs. An old city in the New World, Nauset is named after the first tribe the pilgrims made contact with.

The extremely flat land around the city has been used for farming for centuries.
Due to it's age the city has many winding routes that lead to it, upgraded from mere trails to modest roads. The city also has it's age to thank for it's lack of a definite grid system.

Because of these things, many upgrades will be needed to the city's infrastructure, and this MD will be a constant work in progress. The idea being that first I will try and get everything built to a certain point in the city's development. Then I will go back and upgrade and do all sort's of interesting things to the 'old' city.

Enough explaining now. The first update will focus on the small farming village of Samoset and its surroundings. Heres a map of the region and it's major routes, so you can figure it's relation to Nauset.

This is where 340 terminates at Route 6 in the center of town

Here the local rail line passes through the industrial zones and makes its way to Samoset Station.

The town is packed very dense, as is common for small towns in the region, despite the vast amounts of spacious farmland surrounding it. 635 cuts through farms.

Transfer Station

More Farms

A few hi-tech farms have sprouted up in the surrounding area.

The town has grown outward in recent years, encompassing this old farm, the first farm built here in Samoset. The Historical Society had it preserved, and the town grew around it.

The edge of town, where the farms begin right away

These developments are recent, and are right in the middle of two local farms. Farmers fear they are a picture of whats to come, as the town expands.

Here's where Route 6 meets and hooks up with Route 20 for a while before continuing south. It's the busiest junction in town, and it isn't even in town!

An overview of Samoset

And heres a map of Samoset, following Tarkus's method, hopefully to some success.

I'll try to stick to a weekly update schedule as much as possible, and look forward to sharing more of Nauset with you all. Next update will be on a similar town called Hanson, and a few other villages.

One of the other villages; South Samoset.

Albus of Garaway

Wow, what a fantastic start!

First of all, I want to say thank you for giving us some background information. I think every MD needs at least some, because it gives so much more character. I can see right off the bat what you mean by this being an older city that needs to go through some infrastructure changes and improvements in the coming future. I live in a similar place!

When I first saw that transit map of yours and how you explained that there are many "winding routes" that go through the Nauset area, I immediately prayed "Please be using smooth-curved roads, please be using smooth-curved roads!", but I didn't really expect you to since most people haven't caught on. Yet when I scroll down, there they are! They make the town so much more pleasing to the eye than those jerky curves. You may also want to consider using smooth rail curves, as well. When STR is released, that would like nice in Nauset region as well!

Thanks for putting so much work into this. 'Looks like this one's a keeper!'

jmyers2043

Hello Evanator

Ah. This is a nice journal. I like the first few pictures. Especially the small town where route 340 terminates at route 6. You wrote short captions for each picture. Things like that really brings a journal to life and all the more enjoyable for the rest of us. You've got a nice selection of custom content and curved roads to boot. Good start and good luck and welcome to SC4Devotion!!

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Blue Lightning

This is a very nice start, cant wait to see more. The  captions are nice too. The rural areas look very nice.

Good Luck,
Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Battlecat

Amazing start, the suburbs look great as do your farming areas.  Looking forward to seeing more of this! 

sebes

And BANG, here is Nauset!

Fantastic. What a great start of a MD...
The first region pic already stole my heart, but the ones with the fields shown did it again.. I also like how you tell the story with the pictures, a comment with each of them.  And that Tarkussian map: congratulations... You don't beat the master himself yet, but Alex' better beware: you show talent  :thumbsup:

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

art128

What a great start there Evanator , those farms land are trully impressive my friend.
The map looks excellent ! maybe just try to use NAM curves for the train line. The last image is by far my favorite!  &apls
The town is very greatly done, keep it up,

Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nexis4Jersey

Nice Farmlands & unique design in region overview  &apls $%Grinno$%

bat

That's a really great start there! The map is also really good! Nice work on your region!
Looking forward to more....

evanator

Hello everyone, sorry for the long wait between updates, I'll have more free time this week so update 2 part 2, should be along later this week. :) As you may guess from the prior sentence, this update is a rather large one, and so will be delivered in two separate parts; one focusing once again on Samoset, and the other on Hanson. 'Why not make them two separate updates?' you may ask, and the reason is that I feel as though the two towns are 'twins' so to speak and go best side by side. Well enough is enough, lets get on with it! ;D

Samoset has had a bit of a growth spurt since last update, and is encroaching on the surrounding farms. The new developments have a very 'suburban' feel to them, and make for nice places to live, despite their low wealth.

Another newly developed area on the opposite side of town.

I re-worked the railroads around Samoset using the wonderful FARR pieces. These are the results.

A common road crossing to the east.

The Town Dump.

Now onto South Samoset, a semi-separate village to the southwest, It's squeezed between Route 45 20 and the tracks towards Hanson.

It's also home to the new Mirant Power Plant. Greatly un-welcomed by the locals, the state strong armed the town into accepting its construction. The locals argued, 'Why build a power plant in the middle of no where?', to which the state replied, 'Why not?'. It's real reson however is that it envisions an industrial park being built over the farms in the near future.

Here's where the trains come into Mirant Station, from Nauset to the west.

Here's a few more shots of the area for good measure.

A stretch of Route 45 20.

Where Route 6 enters Samoset from the south.

A closer shot of South Samoset.

And now a first for the MD; a few night shots.

Workers leaving the industrial district.

A bit of Route 45 20.

One of many AGWAY flower farms. They are by far the dominant flower company in the region.

And finally, the famous center of Samoset, by night.

Stay tuned for part 2!

Replies

Albus of Garaway - Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like Nauset. Yes, I draw my inspiration, about 'in need of overhaul' infrastructure from my town as well.

jmyers2043 - Thanks for your support and welcome, I'm glad to be here!

Blue Lightning - Thanks for your comment, your support is greatly appreciated.

Battlecat - Thanks! I'm looking forward to showing you more of Nauset!

Sebes - Thanks, I spent a while trying to find just the right map, and I think I succeeded! I'll try to have another map next update. :)

art128 - Thank you! I tried to incorporate as many of the NAM curves as possible in re-working the rails. Hope you like the results!

Nexis - Thanks for your support! :)

bat - Thanks, It was my first attempt at mapping a SC4 city, and I think it came out pretty well. I must commend Tarkus, for without his tutorial in his MD, I wouldn't have even thought to make one.

sim-al2

The map is really good for a first attempt. The power plant in the middle of nowhere is quite ironic, even if it's entirely realstic. I can't wait to see your small town(s) expand. ;)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

c.p.

Great start to your MD.  The towns have a real small town feel to them.  And the power plant may be polluting, but at least it looks nice  :D

Sciurus

Your village is very nice, but you should developp it more :thumbsup:

Guillaume
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Battlecat

Cool update.  I like how the region is slowly developing as you present it.  The railway and highway through farmland just look fantastic!  Keep it up!

Albus of Garaway

A very satisfying update you just gave us, and it's only half of it! I love your style. The choices of your houses are extremely unique, and they end up blending together very nicely. Your towns have a nice flow to them. Great work!

EDIT: I just wanted to say that after going through your update again, I noticed the gorgeous new graphic titles on your pictures. They look fantastic! It adds to the image in a wonderfully subtle way. Nice job on that!

rooker1

evanator,
Another very nice update. 
There seems to be a quiet ambience about your little town. 
Great work and I look forward to spending some more time here.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

art128

Another great update my friend, these farms land are simply awesome !!
excellent work on that little village the rural ambiance is very greatly done, good job.

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

thundercrack83

Excellent work here, evanator! You're off to a magnificent start here with Nauset!

Your neighborhoods, the farms, your use of the NAM curves and the RHW--outstanding! Simply outstanding! I've gotten a taste for things here in Nauset and I like it!

Keep up the fine work here, my friend!

Dustin

evanator

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay, but I'm here now with the rest of Update 2! This part of the update will focus solely on the town of Hanson, and the small village of South Hanson.
So without further adieu;

Some farmland to the north of town. The Highway winding through the farms is actually Route 6 coming down from Samoset.

The center of town, where Route 6 intersects Route 55. El Taco is a favorite amongst the locals with a flair for Mexican cuisine. Although it's more lively than the center of Samoset, it's still a pretty quiet place.

Hanson, like Samoset is a relatively young town. Unlike Samoset however, which just sprang up along a busy junction, Hanson was founded for a specific purpose. Some time ago, there was a terrible fire that raged through the dense farmland for 5 days. When the smoke finally cleared 7 were found to have perished trying to douse the flames.

In response the state issued funds for Station 12 to be built near the junction of 6 and 55 in order to provide better response times to the farms, and perhaps prevent further tragedies. Upon it's completion, a town began to grow up around Station 12, and today there's even a fire fighters training building next store. Many tourists mistake the building for an apartment complex, but the locals know it's true purpose.

A water tower was also constructed to assist in putting fires out, the tower gives the town a certain charm that has contributed to it's rapid growth.

The south side of town eats into one of the many surrounding bean fields as you travel south towards South Hanson.

Farms to the south of Hanson.

Here's where Route 55 crosses the train tracks just to the north of South Hanson.

And here's South Hanson itself, a few roads branching off of 55, the village sits on the burnt remains of one of the farms devastated beyond repair by the 5 Day Fire.

South Hanson station, and Memorial Circle. The circle is located at the spot where a train full of water arrived to help firefighters put out the fire on day 5 of the blaze.

An overview of South Hanson.

Back up to Hanson proper now, this is a newly built substation to deal with he increased power coming from the Mirant plant.

This poor farm is the victim of one of the new developments that have gone up recently. If the growth continues then sadly it's years are numbered.

Here's a new commercial area off Route 55 to the north of town.

Finally an overview of Hanson, looking towards the west.

A few asides now;

It seems that the Department of Infrastructure made a rather large blooper on the last update and labeled pictures of Route 20 as Route 45!  :P The mistake has been corrected, and TDI apologizes for any inconvenience. :-[
I'm starting work on an older town called Fallon now, and seem to be having a bit of difficulty finding older 'new englandesque' buildings.

Any help/suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!

Finally, before replies, I've decided to let you decide what you want the next update to be! It can either be more from Hanson, for there's still plenty to show, or an introduction to Fallon, it's up to you!  :thumbsup:

Replies

Sim-al2 - Thanks, hopefully when the new industrial park comes, it won't look to out of place!

c.p. - Thank you, I do love how Z7's  superb model fits in.

Sciurus - Don't worry, once I get far enough along Samoset will get a suburban growth spurt!

Battlecat - Thanks! I think the one with the rail along the highway is one of my favorites as well! Thanks for your support!

Albus of Garaway
- Thanks! I'm still perfecting the graphics, but I think it really adds a sense of continuity and completion.

rooker1 - Thanks a lot rooker! I think getting that ambience and personality is the hardest part about developing a region, it's a work in progress!

art128 - Hey Arthur, thanks for your support, I hope you liked the farms in this update! I was thinking a possible 'all farms' update sometime in the future, to showcase the wonderful work of JMyers, BLS, BSC and the rest!

thundercrack83 - Thank you so much for your support! I'm getting to do some more with the RHW, especially the interchanges the closer I get to the city itself!

Albus of Garaway

Your updates are so big! I always have plenty to look at. ;)

Have you used the SmalltownUSA buildings yet? Those would probably help a lot. Oh, and I think the next update should be an introduction to Fallon. The concept sounds really interesting, and I can't wait to see it!