• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greenacre

Started by threestooges, December 24, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Matt simply stunning stuff has been happening here!! Glad I stopped in Greenacre to fill in on the latest devoplment and here is to another year...

BTW congratz on now 400 replies and welcome to the next page my friend.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rooker1

Hey Matt,
Great to see you back again, it's been some time now.  I hope you did well on those exams.
That was a pleasing update Matt....Most of what you do is pleasing and enjoyable.  I really like to see people's differnt types of rails working in thier cities.  I know it can be a pain in the butt sometimes to get them working just right.
No worries about the challenge,  I know you will get to it when you have the chance. ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

warconstruct

Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

Battlecat

Thats quite the nice looking system you've got in this part of Greenacre.  Looks to me like you aren't having any troubles with getting people to use the system!  That green roofed GLR station is a nice one, I don't recognize it on first glance. 

Also, I've got to say that map is pretty impressive!  Simple maps like that fulfill a pretty critical purpose for navigating since the riders don't care about the distance between two stations as much as they care about the order.  That's one thing I've never actually put together in all my time making maps.  A network style map requires a different approach that what I usually take at work.  I tend to approach mapping for absolute accuracy.  Someday I'll have to try my hand at a network map.

Jmouse

Great-looking update, Matt! 17.03 is especially attractive - the landscaping near the station is a really nice touch. Glad you included a placement diagram, too - I'd have been lost without it!

It looks like the tracks go airborne pretty quickly after leaving the Howard M. Fine station. This foils "beat-the-train" daredevils and keeps street traffic flowing more efficiently I guess.

Living where you do, I imagine you've seen much more than I have in the way of mass transit design and usage. So I hope you'll clear up a couple of questions about your in-game network.

In 17.12, it seems like the beginning of an awfully steep incline on the left side of the picture. Or is this just the ground-to-overhead transition piece? Then in 17.21, there's a pretty sharp angle where the tracks cross the road. This may not matter at all in RL, but it just looks a bit odd to me. Once again, you're the train expert, though, so if you say it's OK, then it's OK! :thumbsup:

This is one of your better updates, Matt - and a very pleasant scenic trip through Greenacre.

Later...

Joan

threestooges

Replies:
-Corey (Nexis4Jersey): Thanks, and you're right, that spur does need some work. I'll get the local DOT on it as soon as I can, before a train derails. Good to see you here.

-metarvo: Thanks! The backstory was fun to write, and I'm glad to hear people enjoyed reading it. The system does actually function pretty well too. I was pleased to see that. Always good to see you.

-Pat: Good to see you Pat! Thanks for the anniversary congratulations and thanks for bringing us to 400 posts. Merry Christmas my friend! Hope to see you around more, and I hope you're feeling better.

-Robin (rooker1): Exams went pretty well I think, thanks! Also, while a good GLR layout may take some work, it's a fun kind of work. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Merry Christmas my friend.

-Battlecat: Thanks! It did work pretty well on the first try, and I see your's is working well too from the looks of things. Once the area gets up and running I hope to see your traffic data too. It'll be interesting to see how it functions. The route map was actually made from the El Rail map of the SC$ game graph map I made earlier. The stations are eyeballed, but aside from that, it's mostly to-scale. I'd love to see what you could do with one though, especially with your attention to detail. Merry Christmas Battlecat. Always good to see you here.

-Joan (Jmouse): Merry Christmas Joan! Not too much beat-the-train here fortunately. Folks seem to realize that the train will always win. Especially when it's steel wheels on steel track... several dozen tons don't stop on a dime. There will be the occasional accident, but it's usually basic inatteniveness. Minor injuries usually and a trip to the body shop for both car and train (more the car than the train usually).

As for where I live though, we had mass transit, and we're starting to get it back, but LA is known now more for its freeways than its trains. I'll see if I can work in some more detail about the Pacific Electric lines at some point here in the future. The steep incline in 17.12 is the ground to overhead transition piece. It's actually not too steep. I'll have to dig up a picture, but a slope like that is actually not out of the ordinary for a light rail system.

17.21 stuck out to me for some reason, and you and Corey have both picked up on it. It will be getting straightened out soon.

Always great to see you here Joan!

One day before Christmas, and one year now since I first started working here. Hard to believe how fast the time has gone. Seems like I was showing you a postcard from Fergus Coast not too long ago. Well, I have a new picture for you. It's not quite Currier & Ives, but have a listen to this as you look over our next little stop.

Thanks for a great year here, and Merry Christmas to you all!
-Matt

Battlecat

Beautiful winter shot there!  Is that using Peg's new snow mod or did you track down a different solution?  Snow on the roof is a nice touch!

Jmouse

Ahhh, yes - a snow-covered farm with a heart-shaped lake. It's warm and cozy inside the house, though, where the smell of cookies baking fills the air along with shrieks of delight as children open their gifts. Shades of Currier and Ives here!

Hope everyone enjoyed a Merry Christmas - or Happy Holiday Season as the case may be - and looks forward to the beginning of a great New Year and a new decade filled with bright promise!

Later...
Joan

rooker1

I hope you are having some grreat holidays!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

Call me Robin, please.

threestooges

Replies:
Battlecat: That is actually the game snow cheat, David's (dedgren's) seasonal tree lots, and a bit of photoshop work for the snow on the roof tops, tracks in the snow, chimney smoke, and dirt by the feed troughs. Glad to know it was appreciated though. So yeah, Greenacre has a small history of snow in the higher elevations.

Joan (Jmouse): Indeed Joan. It's what I was going for as I listened to a few Christmas songs (one in particular). Wow... that makes me realize how long it's been since I've updated here. I really need to start playing again on a regular basis. I suppose this could be a good first step for it then. Always good to see you here.

Robin (rooker1): The holidays were quite fun, and so was the Super Bowl. I've filled you in a bit on the status of your challenge, but hopefully this will keep you satisfied for now.

So this is what happens when you get a bunch of things going all at once. Sorry I haven't seen you all around lately, but it's been one meeting after another, after this, after that. On the plus side though, I finally got out to Shelter Island again. This time, out on the east coast where most of the towers are.

Here's the east coast of the island. There's a significant commercial office strip running down the middle, several high rise residential structures, but along the coast it's largely single family homes. The light rail system of the island wraps through the area here and, in an experimental setup to the railway, actually runs on the streets with traffic, harkening back to the old days of streetcar service. It was manily a space requirement, and a few issues with right of ways resulted in some interesting track layouts as you'll see.

The main stretch of offices is well-served by the line, and it's a good thing too. Parking in this area is at a premium. There's a bit on the back side of the buildings near the park, but it's nowhere near enough to meet the needs. Fortunately, with the light rail covering the island, getting to work is easy enough. Kind of damp when it rains though.

Just down the road is the result of putting streetcars on the roads: it makes intersections that much more fun. The Shelter Island Transit Lines (SITL), responsible for the light rail and busses, launched the line in conjuction with a media campaign reminding drivers that streetcars can't stop on a dime. It was a somewhat controversial ad, but they ran a streetcar at full speed and placed a dime on the tracks. They had the conductor throw the brakes once the car hit the dime... and then showed it plowing into a car they had parked on the tracks. Now, I know that's a bit extreme, but it got a great response from the male demographic, and the line boasts one of the safest records in the entirety of Greenacre. The picture here is from the commercial itself. You can see the van spinning off to the left of the train.

Fortunately for those who may be tempted to beat the train, the majority of the track is separate from the road. This has given the designers some fun options to work with. Residents have compliemented the grass between the tracks, though it does pose an interesting challenge for the landscapers. With trains running as often as every seven minutes, they need to move fast. Some of them have joked about tying their lawnmowers to the back of a train at the station and letting it take car of things for them... at least, I think they're joking.

I mentioned some interesting issues with right of ways earlier. This area is probably one of the best examples. In addition to navigating through the busy avenues and roads, those blue and red houses to the left of the image were asking too much for their property so, rather than pay it, SITL decided to just go around them. If you're standing, be sure to have a good hold of something as the trolley takes a few quick turns through here. The kids from the school love it though. Those that take it home always seem to enjoy the ride.

You may have noticed that there are a lot of houses fronting the tracks, but a recent trip to Adara inspired the designers. They have left stretches of the forest to serve as noise barriers. They also act a bit as sight barriers too. You can just make out a train here in this picture.

Down along the shore you can get away from the urban feel of the area, and get back to nature. Their position on the bay makes them some of the highest priced properties on the island, if not some of the smaller ones. Unlike some of the groomed beaches around Greenacre, this side of Shelter Island decided to maintain the natural look. Most of the beach in the previous picture is owned by the city.

These however, are private still. Also, a few of the smaller lots are being purchased and larger houses are beginning to creep in to take advantage of the secluded feel, as well as the view.

Sorry again it's been so long. I do have a few new things going and I'll be sure to post a new update a bit sooner this time.
-Matt

Battlecat

Fantastic!  You've done a great job with the GLR in this town!  I quite like how the grassy style looks in your town.  Also, very nice job with the shoreline!

Nice little story about that commercial, that style usually gets peoples attention!

rooker1

Satisfied...of course I'm satisfied, especially after that last pic. 
The houses fit in perfectly with the shore line and the finer details you added in.

Call me Robin, please.

canyonjumper

Cool pics Matt! I really like how the GLR is used. And great story about those houses.

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

BuildingUp

I agree with the others, I love the use of ground light rail here. Very good! :)

Jmouse

Finally, another Greenacre update! Now, if I could just light a fire under a certain other NUTs member... But that's another story for another time and place!

I always enjoy
visiting the outlying islands and seeing new development there. As CBDs go, you've created a good one here. I like the way you've used the PED tiles - unusual and very effective as a way of binding the whole scene together. 

As a rural dweller at heart, I've never hesitated to express my distaste for cityscapes, but you've done a good job on this one. The city park in 18.03 looks right at home, and you've done a great job of laying out GLR (18.04).  The neighborhoods look good, too. Mattb325's houses are in an elite class by themselves - like many players, I have every one of them!

I know how busy you are
during this last semester of school, so I can certainly appreciate the difficulty you've had in finding the time to do an update. We can all hope the pressure will abate pretty soon.

Later...
Joan

tooheys

QuoteSome of them have joked about tying their lawnmowers to the back of a train at the station and letting it take car of things for them... at least, I think they're joking

Sheep might work until they get tired. But then you'd have a lamb roast for dinner  $%Grinno$%

Good to see Greenacre on the move again, and a fine update at that. Looks a great and a good story as well :thumbsup: You might want to try some diagonal fillers for the light rail, but that's a minor thing.

Dave

bat

Wonderful work on your city! Looks great! :thumbsup:

Engorn

Nice shoreline. Can it be that it remains me to Maine?

threestooges

Replies:

Battlecat: Thanks. This was actually the test city for all the new GLR bits and pieces. The grass sections worked quite well around the residential areas, best around higher wealth development too. I've been studying some styles of folks who have been doing some good work with their shorelines, and picking up some tips as I go. I tried to keep a natural progression to transistion from grass to dirt, and to attempt to show tide lines. Not sure if that last part came through though. As for the commercial, it seems like people would be much more responsible around crossings if they knew the risks from visual experience. Seemed like a commercial would be the best way to get that across (and also to explain why that intersection has no signals).

Robin (rooker1): Glad to hear you enjoyed the update. I was quite pleased with how well the flora was able to work in around the houses. You can almost see the fog and smell the salt in the mornings. If you have any suggestions for general landscaping (that don't involve removal of palm trees) let me know. I think I have an idea for your storyline too, but that will be an update for another day. Always good to see you here.

Jordan (canyonjumper): Glad you enjoyed it. Also, I think I should say welcome to Greenacre! I've always enjoyed fiddling witht he GLR system, and with the creation of these new puzzle pieces, the options continue to grow. I don't normally do very dense areas, but one seemed in order to justify playing with the GLR-in-road/ave pieces. Not that you really need a reason to play with them of course. Thanks for stopping by.

buildingup: Thanks, and welcome to Greenacre! There were a few areas that were tough to fit together, but it's a fairly efficient system.

Joan (Jmouse): I suppose we could try to be persuasive for a few other folks, but then again, when I'm updating once a month, I'm not exactly burning up the track myself, heh heh. The outlying islands have been where I've been doing most of my development. As you know from the chats we've had, Greenacre has been in the works for a few years now. The updates in the islands have been done using all the experience I've gained over the years. There are still stops in Greenacre I'll revisit and just pull out the bulldozer for. I should remember to take some pictures before I get rid of stuff though. Might make a fun before-and-after. I'm not sure how the area as a whole turned out since I just started drawing roads and filling things in afterward, but I'm glad to hear things seem to fit in well. I think the ped malls you're referring to are actually the GLR lines. The park is one of the areas that just seemed to come together. I'm not sure how well the overall urban area works, but there were certain spots, like the park, I liked about it. School's still going pretty well, but I still have time for the game here and there. Glad to hear from you Joan.

Dave (tooheys): Nothing wrong with a rack of lamb. Jus tnot sure I'd want to scrape it off the front of the car. They have a thick enough coat they might just bounce off... and into traffic... oh well let the drivers worry about that. Any suggestions for versatile diagonal fillers (since the LE and I have an interesting relationship)? The fact you're enjoying the story is a big compliment considering some of the plots you put together. How's the progress going on Clontarf by the way? Good to hear from you.

bat: Thanks bat! Always good to see you around here.

Engorn: Welcome to Greenacre! There was no intentional replication of Maine, but with a lighthouse there it seems like it would have some similarity. I was actually hoping to have the whole island area feel tropical, so I may need to revisit that part. Maine is nice, but it's not quite known for being tropical. Thanks for stopping by.

So I suppose an update once a month isn't so bad for the circumstances. This time we're off to take in a bit more of the winter wonderland that can be found in some of Greenacre's higher elevations.

Snow Cloud is a small ski area located just on the fringe of the farming areas of the northern part of the island. It's a local's ski area to be sure, as there aren't many facilities around to support visitors overnight, but those who do choose to make the drive in are treated with a plesant drive through the surrounding farmland.

Construction was swift when they built the place, though it had to be to get everything up during the off season. The lodge itself is a great work of art,
completed in just 7 months. The foundation was laid soon after the ground had dried from the snow melt, and its roof was completed just a week before the first snow of the season fell.

A cafeteria for lunch, shopping for those who forgot to pack their gloves, or want to get the latest style of ski (and didn't think to get it before they drove up here), everything that the skier might need for their day on the slopes. Hop outside, step into your skis and you have two lifts to choose from.

For those who aren't quite ready to take on the likes of Pinball, or who just want a quick refresher, Snow Cloud's ski school is a quick way to get up and running; or in the case of some, up off the ground and back on their feet (watching a line of skiers topple like dominoes is a somewhat common sight here).

The mountain opens early and those who are ready for it (and who skip/survive the ski school) a sunrise run is a great way to start the day.

Three of the more expert runs: Blizzard, Flurry, and Pinball. If you look at Pinball on the right, you will see the severe terrain undulations that give the run its name. Skiers on the lift can occasionally catch people catching unexpected air on this run as the slope changes cramatically in places.

Wherever you ski though, it's a good run, and you can use the ride up the hill to decide which one you want to take.

The other lift provides good views too. It's certainly the easier side of the mountain, and a ride up this chair gives you a good look at skiiers of all experiences taking a lazy run back down toward the lodge.

The constant flow of skiiers up the lift ensures there's plenty of action on the slopes, but at the same time it means people need to get out of the way quickly or risk being smacked by the next chair creeping up behind them. There are flat spots up at the top though so groups can wait for everyone to get together before bombing down the hill.

All in all, it's a quiet, local place that's a good spot to spend a winter day.

-Matt

canyonjumper

Excellent update Matt! I always like seeing skiing resorts, and yours is no exception. Great use of Pegasus's ski resort stuff!

Your friend,
                             Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.