• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greenacre

Started by threestooges, December 24, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 15!

Your pictures are fantastic! Beautiful work on Greenacre! :thumbsup:

JBSimio

Great update, Matt!   :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the newspaper and the bit of urban renewal you did in that area.  The small commercial strip definitely seems more appropriate to that area.  Coupled with the beach that was there earlier, I would think this now makes for a nice little tourist destination for all those sun worshippers of Greenacre.

Looking forward to whatever might be in store for us after finals die down...
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

danielcote

the beach aria looks great! you did a good job at growing!

Battlecat

Nice redevelopment there!  Great to see a potential tourist area reclaimed from industrial development!

threestooges

This is something I hadn't expected or hoped to have happen, but I intend to fix that. Greenacre has been a bit too quiet lately, but it's time to get things going again. But first...

Replies:
-Robin (rooker1): I'll be here waiting when you find it. If you're looking for things to comment on though, I think you'll like this update.

-Joan (Jmouse): The press is certainly present around Greenacre. There may be a few more pertinent news clips in the future. Not sure what's going to happen with the rest of the area. Time will tell though. Also, I'm looking forward to keeping Greenacre going. It's fun and great to see some of the responses the updates generate. Gives me ideas of what to try next.

-Guillaume (Sciurus): Glad to hear it. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the next bit.

-bat: Thanks for the welcome. I can't believe it's been 15 pages already.

-Jon (JBSimio): It's something I don't do often, but I think I probably should. You've been doing it to great effect over in Covington with the incorporation of the FAR/R. Who knows... maybe a few hotels or something will be in the area's future... just need to find the right ones. Always good to see you here.

-danielcote: Thanks, and welcome to Greenacre. Some people are able to get some great looking areas with plopping (and I do it too from time to time) but I don't usually get as good of a result. The growing process usually gives me better results. Thanks for stopping by.

-Battlecat: Thanks! I kind of like the mixed-use result, and perhaps there's a bit more development in the future there. Time will tell. Until then, there's some new redevlopment in the works as you'll see below. On a slightly larger scale perhaps.

Some recent HD troubles and other such things have put me back on my old laptop here for the time being. Since the redevelopment project in Westport was so successful, I thought this would be an excellent time to take a look back at one of Greenacre's oldest communities that is looking at some redevelopment of its own (on a much larger scale).

The development of the area has changed over time. When it first started, it wasn't sure where it was going or what form it would take. Building just began, and the planning commission was still in its infancy at the time. Many of you have wondered about some of the outlying islands. Today we'll be visiting this one:

The area is a tiny tourist community. It's initial design was to hopefully mimic Miami, FL or Santa Monica, CA and it will likely follow that path in the end. However, as you can see, the area is certainly a bit different from the other Greenacre areas.

As you can see, the area has some problems that can be addressed. For example, some streets could use some better slopes. Trucks going through here are grinding their gears to get up and around this hill, and an industrial area here was more a matter of need than something in the area's plan.

Speaking of industry areas that weren't planned, this one sprung up and never really improved much. The local council is debating keeping it zoned or trying to do something else with the area. They are seeking public opinion on the matter.

Here is the area that was meant to follow the Miami/Santa Monica theme. It looks better now than when I first looked at the area again, but there have already been some redevelopment efforts by the locals.

Here is an example of some of the redevelopment, and some shops that will likely stay after things are said and done. Spa Development Co. has been the driving force behind this little stretch, but others will undoubtedly take advantage of the expected increase in land values that will follow the redevelopment.

So, now that you've seen what the area looks like, I have a challenge for you, as members of the Greenacre public. The council already has some plans but, as I mentioned, they are looking for input. They've asked that I find them some. So, if you have any thoughts for the development of the area, let me know, and I'll pass it along to them. Let me know what you think.

Nardo69

Isn't it strange sometimes with the industry? You want HT you get I-D, you want I-M and you get I-HT ... Had the same problem recently ...

Nice beach but when it comes to larger beach areas I prefer the classic Copacabana together with the Copacabana Addon 1 Sports by suico. They look nice and give you a great variety!

danielcote

I think you should have lots of highrises and nightlife. Improve the beaches make it more custom content and have a few mansions and alot of stores.

Pat

Matt nice looking beach there and don't worry the same thing happened to me as well.... DANG GRV II  Challenges teaching us something new geeezs i swear lol.....  Really I am thankful for GRV II Challenges teaching me new ways to play the game or really honestly playing the game....  Anyways I will be looking forward to the next update of Greenacre for sure!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rooker1

Hey Matt,
You were right, I do like this update.  I like how you placed the commercial stores along the water front and the houses in behind.  The only thing that I don't like is those square beaches.  I wish there was something we could do to make them look a little better.  Add some bushes to hide the edges is the onlt thing I can think of.  Other than that wait here patiently for your next update or the next game of chess, which ever comes first will make me more than happy.
See you around my friend,
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

CasperVg

I have to agree with Robin, the square beaches do look a bit silly because they end so suddenly. The mansions do look quite good tho, and with the recent commercial redevelopment, you gave the area that extra touch it needed, I like it. As for the industrial area, I would suggest to bulldoze it altogether, as I don't think that businesses would actually set up on such an island, because of it's sparse connections with the big consumers on the mainland. Perhaps it could be replaced with a few hotels and some commercial mall-like activity, that could boost the city's attractiveness to tourists. While you're at it, you could build a public aquarium of some sort, it seems like a great spot for such venue..

Casper
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

bat

Great work on that beach area!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Glad to see you're back!  That's a lovely little beach area.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the redevelopment! 

threestooges

Just got back from a 4th of July celebration. I'll do a proper update with replies and all later this week. I hope the holiday was safe and enjoyable for everyone.
-Matt

mrbisonm

GRV II probably helped to make beautiful beaches like this, right? Wonderful job on them, shame though that they end so abruptly. But the beachside commerces are perfect, that really looks realistic. Hm.......thinking of something to use in the next GRV challenges.......
Very good CJ/MD btw, I will be back. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Jmouse

Hey Matt, just popped in and realized I didn't comment after your last update although I've stopped by many times.

The island development looks good - not too crowded, yet there's still some life to it. As a rule I like slightly hilly terrain, but it takes some doing to make it work right. Just keep working with it, though, and it'll be OK. The Beaches show promise and just need a few finishing touches. A pier or wall-type structure at each end might work, or even some large rocks and vegetation. Hard to say for sure - it will just take a bit of trial and error. The little shops and houses behind the beach are perfect, though.

I'm anxious to see how all this turns out...
Joan

Sciurus

It's nice, but why have you surrounded two tricks in red on the third image ()what() Is it for the slope as you explained?

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

threestooges

Replies:
-Bernhard (Nardo69): I know what you mean. I think it's also the same thing that causes the sam building to grow over and over regardless of how many times you bulldoze it, yet if you bulldoze one you like, you won't see it grow there again any time soon. Thanks for the tip on the beaches. I'm going to have a look at them as the redevelopment continues.

-danielcote: Not sure how many "mansions" I'll have, but it'll likely be a fairly wealthy area (or at least high-priced tourist area). Maybe a few taller buildings too, but I wouldn't expect to see much beyond 15-20 stories at the most. Thanks for the ideas.

-Pat: Yeah, GRV is certainly a learning experience, and it'll keep you on your toes. I think it's helped though in some of the reconstuction of this area though.

-Robin (rooker1): The next update is here. The beaches are still blocky, but I think you know what I have planned for that. Commercial development will line the beaches in most areas here too. However, this update is going to focus on the (former) industrial area from the last update. Something a little bit... fancier, and more fun.

-Casper (caspervg): The industrial area is indeed gone, and your suggestion actually got the wheels turning in my head when I was trying to decide what to do with the area. Not much of a mall in the area, but you did have one really good suggestion that fit the area quite well. You'll see it is the subject of the update today. You know about the hotel situation, but there won't be much news on that yet. Hope your holiday is good.

-bat: Thanks bat. Always good to see you here.

-Battlecat: Yeah, it's good to be back. Not going to get rid of me that easily. The redevelopment is well underway, and it'll likley be the feature of a couple updates here.

-Fred (mrbisonm): Welcome to Greenacre. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Quite a compliment considering what you've been doing with Winding River. Funny enough, these beaches helped make GRV. This was one of the first developed areas of Greenacre. I will say though, that GRV has given me a few ideas to try on the redevelopment though. Whatever you have planned for the GRV challenges, I'll be ready. Just taking a quick break before I get back to building there. So much to do, so little time.

-Joan (Jmouse): I know what you mean. Very few areas that I can think of are truly flat, and a slight hill can add something to an area, as subtle as it may be. There has certainly been a bit of landscaping done on the beach edges (though the ultimate goal for them hasn't quite been done yet). I think I've mentioned what that is. I'm going to see if I can keep the little shops while blending in a hotel/nightlife scene. If you think you're anxious to see how it turns out... so am I.

-Guillaume (Sciurus): It is exactly to highlight the slope. Hopefully the pics shown will be an improvement on what was shown last time. Good to see you as always.

So you all remember pic 9.04 from the last update right? Well, here's a refresher, slightly zoomed out to show the area that developers had to work with.

The industrial buildings that looked rather out of place there were quickly removed and construction began on an aquarium and an institute for oceanographic studies (that's the big building on the left). At the time this picture was taken, they had just begun work on a park to connect the research facility with the actual aquarium. Though they are two separate entities, they make for one neat destination.

This is how the Topley Bay Aquarium turned out. It's incorporated under the Sea World name, so it's technically Sea World: Topley Bay, but the locals found the former easier to say. I think they probably just could've called it Sea World, but that might confuse it with the one in San Diego. The Aquarium features several dozen exhibits showcasing marine habitats from up and down the west coast of North America from Mexico and Central America to Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.

Naturally, parking is a big concern for the many people expected to attend. For those taking the ferry or locals driving in, there is a large parking lot with easy, safe, over-the-road access to both the museum and park. This lot is open for a nominal fee. Revenues are shared with the city. Those who are staying at one of the local hotels (we'll see those later) or are locals in the area can either make the somewhat short walk, or hope a shuttle from the resort/beach area.

Here is how the aforementioned park turned out. The fountains are in keeping with the watery theme of the area, and it provides a nice place just to come and stoll or have a picnic. It's also the main path between the Oceanographic Institute and the Aquarium.

A quick shot from the parking lot shows just how clear the water is around here. There's talk of a marina, but nothing has been set in stone yet. For now, if you want to see things from the water here, you need to find somewhere else to launch and sail in yourself.

Lastly, to wrap up this bit, here's an overview of how the area looks now. There's still a bit of unclaimed land to fill, though it's not clear yet who's going to scoop it up. It's certainly in a more desireable location now than when the factories used to be there.

-Matt

rooker1

Hey Matt,

Long time.  Good to see another update from you.  I was starting to wonder if the island had sunk. lol Just kidding.
Well as for the update.....I think you still need to do some repositioning of a few things and definately add a lot of.........stuff and details.  As it stands right now......I'm not really liking it.  Maybe when all said and done, I will stand corrected. 
I have always pictured the Oceanographic Institute off a penesula instead of inside a cove.  Maybe it just needs to be out a little further from shore.
Anyways, I'll sit back and wait for your next update. ;)
See you around,
Robin  :)
Call me Robin, please.

Sciurus

It's nice, but continue to developp around the Oceanoraphic Center, before to show us waht it looks like ;) And what's this industrial zone in the middle of the island, and the palmers into this, it's not ver beautiful &mmm. Ah! I understood that you built the Oceanographic Center on it :D

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Battlecat

Fantastic update!  That is a beautiful set of aquarium facilities!  I like how you tied the two areas together with that park!