• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greenacre

Started by threestooges, December 24, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LE0

PAGE 7

Great update, and how'd you make the road have no sidewalk?  :D
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Jmouse

Nice job on the orchard, Matt. I especially like the fenced parking areas, but you've included a lot of excellent details. That's a nice farmhouse, but the outbuildings, crates and trucks add what it takes to make this look like a working establishment rather than a pretty but inert piece of ground. Good work on all the fences, too - they can get pretty tedious sometimes.

Looking forward to another day in the life of Greenacre!
Joan

threestooges

Replies:
-Pat: I hadn't noticed it until I read your post. Glad it could be of some use to you. I was a bit surprised to see it both on your desktop and update. Any new pics from your region for waterfalls in the near future?

-Arthur (art128): Thanks Arthur, the absense of sidewalks was actually just the luck of the pic, not sure how I did it.

-bat: You won't have to wait long now. Just scroll down a bit. Glad you're enjoying things so far.

-Sciurus: Thank you. There's still quite a bit of it that hasn't been shown yet. Plenty of time for that though, and plenty of room for it to grow too.

-LE0: I'm not entirely sure. I don't think farm lots make sidewalks when they grow, and the trail lots I used (by Darmok, and the parking areas manipulated by me) don't seem to add any either. I think the bit that is there came from the TE'd pieces.

-Joan (Jmouse): The fenced parking areas stemmed from my use of Darmok's trail set and wanting a parking lot. The farmhouse, lot and all is actually a farm lot from... someone in the BSC... I really ought to know who it is, but it came from a pack I downloaded. I can look into exactly who if you'd like, but all credit for the activity goes to them. For the most part, I had the pieces for this pic already, I just put them together.

The pictures seem to be coming along nicely. I think we have a good start for the natural attractions that Greenacre has, and some of its rural areas. Today we're going to head south and check out a part of South Coast (11).

South Coast is a narrow, but long city that stretches from the cantilevered bridge by the bay to the outlet of Firehouse Creek you saw in the 7th pic. The area you are seeing here is SCCC (South Coast Community College) and, despite having a few warehouses nearby, the students here are lucky to have one of the nicer public graduate campuses in Greenacre. Not to mention, it's right there by the beach.

Sciurus

Nice place, but I don't want to study next to industries! ;D
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

JoeST

well I have to say

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Awesome stuff in here, gona keep a keen eye on this

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

art128

i have to say that's awesome Matt, I really love this school complex.
Maybe, just maybe, the industry are too close of the pool and the university.

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

The SCCC looks beautiful! Nice work on that area!!! :thumbsup:

Battlecat

That's a fantastic college campus.

Jmouse

Nice looking campus, Matt. I like the way you've used the paths and added interest to the campus with auxiliary buildings. You're getting pretty brave with those canals, too, aren't you! ;) I'd like to see more of whatever is down that way - a mosaic maybe?

Another successful day in OSITM...
Joan

threestooges

Replies:
-Sciurus: That would imply the students there actually study. It is near some of the finest beaches in Greenacre after all, heh heh. Sure, you go to class, but then you can go read on the beach (yeah, read... right). Glad you enjoyed it.

-JoeST: Welcome to Greenacre Joe. We'll be here when you are, so stop by any time.

-Arthur (art128): Let's hope they have a good filter on the pool then. Perhaps (and Robin may be interested to know this) the school could expand, and since it would be for educational purposes, it could be possible under emminent domain in Greenacre.

-bat: Thanks bat. I was surprised how well the game city college turned out there too.

-Battlecat: Thanks. There are others around, but those will be for another update.

-Joan (Jmouse): I think the auxiliary buildings are what actually makes this something reasonably interesting to look at. There's nothing much to those canals there, they just wind through the park there. We will see more of South Coast, and I would certainly assume a mosaic may be in order, but until then there are more pics to prepare. Until next time.

So this one may be a bit late, but for the twelfth day of our little photo excursion we're visiting a neat little valley and the campground there  (12). Took a little while to get back, so I'm sorry for the delay on it.

The Hackenbush Campground (owned and run by Dr. Hackenbush) has been around for many years. It's a quiet retreat nestled in Bluebell Canyon which is named for the bluebells that grow around here in the spring. Private cabins give visitors a relaxing respite from city life as they commune with nature. The creek here provides some good fishing too. There was talk of building a racetrack (horse racing) around here too, but startup capital was a bit low. If they do get around to it, go put $5 on Sun Up. I doubt you'll be disappointed. The campground and the surround area could stand some improvements, and we may swing back by here to see if the doctor changes anything.

bat

Nice picture of that river! And the houses next to it are wonderful! Beautiful place! :thumbsup:

Sciurus

If you can go to the beach, it's so cool! $%Grinno$%
If my school was like that, I was happy! :D
L'atelier d'architecture

Battlecat

That's a nice little batch of cabins, and a beautiful picturesque setting!  Love what you've done with the plopable water there. 

Jmouse

Good campground layout, Matt. That would be a nice place to spend a weekend fishing, walking through the woods and just enjoying the countryside's peaceful beauty. And you're doing a really fine job with TPW - the blending of colors looks great...

Until tomorrow...

Joan

threestooges

Replies:
-bat: Thanks bat. If I recall, it's a campground pack by citynut. Works pretty well too. Always good to see you.

-Sciurus: As long as you are actually studying, there's no problem. But I guess it helps to sort out those who are there to learn, and those who are there to get a tan, heh heh. Thanks for stopping by.

-Battlecat: Citynut did a fine job with them. The lot borders had to be blended in a bit, but it's really well done. I may retool the PW though in the future, add some transparent stuff and the like. Thanks for the compliments though.

-Joan (Jmouse): There's actually a very nice waterfall just down the trail a bit. The water is down this time of year, but when they creek picks up, we may swing back by here to see them at full strength. The blending of color in the PW is actually a result of the shadows from the trees. Glad to know it looks good though. I'm always looking for new things to try, ands it's good to know when one of them works.

I know some of you have been wondering about the denser urban centers of Greenacre, and today you'll get your first glimpse of it (13).

Nothing quite like a penthouse view is there? Though it's not exactly a penthouse, the view from the top of the Driftwood Building (the blue one in the foreground) is pretty good. It overlooks the high speed rail line, has easy access to the streetcars, and the plaza across the street is a major focal point of the area around the holidays. The name comes from the building's financier Otis B. Driftwood. He got a start in theatre in New York, but decided to make his way to Greenacre. Not sure exactly when though.

Nexis4Jersey

Nice shot the Transit flowing in your City  :thumbsup:

Sciurus

Yes nice shot, but if I was you, I did the place with Maxis' stones and not with the sanstones ;)
L'atelier d'architecture

bat

Nice work around that plaza there! Looks beautiful! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

A pleasing photo today, Matt - colorful and lively with a lot of interesting variety. Love the plaza and it gives me an idea I might try soon. I like the Driftwood Building, too. There isn't a single high- or even mid-rise in my "reorganized-plugins-in-progress" folder yet. I've made no secret of my dislike for tall buildings (personal taste - there are some truly awesome BATs out there), but I wouldn't mind having that one.

So, looking forward to the next installment...
Joan

threestooges

Replies:
-Nexis: Thanks. Aside from the highway, which hasn't quite made it to the area yet, most elements of this area's transit are shown in the pic: bus, streetcar, road and rail.

-Sciurus: It might fit better that way, but the lot (a Christmas type lot from SFBT) just fits there so well. I actually built the area around it. The lot really shines in December, but that would've taken a bit of focus away from the building in the foreground. Thanks for the thought though.

-bat: Thanks. The area has changed quite a bit from when it first developed, but I think it's at or near a point where I like it. Glad you liked it.

-Joan (Jmouse): Curious to know what that idea is, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. To be honest, I haven't built with much medium or high density before. I know this is a commercial building, but I don't know if this is a custom one or not. I just made up the name here, but if you're interested, I can certainly check out the name in game. I'm not too experienced with dense cities and tall structures, but I'm trying to learn. Glad to know it seems to be working.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. I hope you were all able to spend some time with friends and loved ones today. We're going to head just a bit further south for today's pic (14).

This area, known as Independence, is an interesting area. It started as an industrial center, but recently there has been an influx of residents too. This seems to have been partly a desire to live closer to work. To the south (left) is the valley, and the northern area (what we saw yesterday) had not yet developed. As a result, there is an odd mix of residential, industrial and a wee bit of commercial. Though the train stations around here seem rather close, the one at the very bottom services the high speed line and the green one further up the track from it handles commuter traffic. Time will tell how this area develops. We'll have to check back in later to see what's new.